Need Efficient File Catalog

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
      To All,

      I need an efficient file catalog similar to the hierarchical system in Windows
      Explorer. In fact, I am using Explorer in exactly that role now, but I may be
      causing a slowdown in the normal functioning of the Windows file system
      because I may be overusing Explorer. Windows remembers the state of up to
      about 2000 folders. I have modified the entry in the Registry to allow
      remembering the state of 10,000 folders. Windows is remembering the state, but
      I am beginning to see the hourglass symbol when I do normal operations in
      Explorer.

      I have examined some of the cataloging applications designed for tracking
      music or video libraries, but they are much too elaborate and cumbersome for
      my needs.

      Every day, I get 50 to 100 files related to actual or planned observations
      from some of the members of an astronomy club. In most cases, I need only to
      record the name of the file, size, type, and date modified. In a small
      percentage of cases, I retain the actual contents of the file. File types can
      be TXT, some kind of video or still image, DOC, PDF, or rarely XLS.

      Most files come into a temporary folder in my mail client. Then I save the
      attachment(s) into the appropriate sub-folder(s) within Windows Explorer, and
      create a sub-folder with the same name as the file. I usually then delete the
      contents of the file leaving only the file name, type ("File Folder"), size
      (empty in most cases), and date modified. In 1 or 2 percent of cases, I retain
      the original contents of the file. For example, I have about 8500 folders
      created from file names, and I have only 10 megabytes of contents in those
      folders. About 98 percent of folders are empty.

      The members who send these files use a standard file-naming convention that
      dictates where these files get stored in the hierarchy. I use the built-in
      searching and sorting functions of Windows Explorer to check for duplicate
      observations and to append an accession number when multiple observations come
      in for a single object.

      Simply stated, I need the hierarchical structure of Windows Explorer in an
      application that doesn't use the Windows File Allocation Table. If the Outline
      structure in NoteTab had say 8 or 10 levels of sub-outlines, it would be a
      good tool for this job.

      I am asking for suggested utilities here rather than in the Clip Programming
      group because I'm guessing that a fast, slim, efficient application like this
      already exists.

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
      WinXP Pro SP3
      NoteTab Pro v5.7b
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
        There may be such an application. It is simply a database and based on
        what you say, it should be simple to do.

        You can do it flat file with notetab and clips, with excel, with access
        and with mysql or the equivalent.

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
          >The members who send these files use a standard file-naming convention that
          >dictates where these files get stored in the hierarchy. I use the built-in
          >searching and sorting functions of Windows Explorer to check for duplicate
          >observations and to append an accession number when multiple
          >observations come
          >in for a single object.
          >
          >Simply stated, I need the hierarchical structure of Windows Explorer in an
          >application that doesn't use the Windows File Allocation Table. If
          >the Outline
          >structure in NoteTab had say 8 or 10 levels of sub-outlines, it would be a
          >good tool for this job.

          What abut this?
          http://arachnoid.com/dbedit/

          Simple CSV files, so you could use NTP to make the entries. Multiple
          level sorting, e.g sort by date, then by name, then by...
          It's a tad old. Don't know if it's Vista safe.

          Lotta
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
            loro wrote:
            >> The members who send these files use a standard file-naming convention that
            >> dictates where these files get stored in the hierarchy. I use the built-in
            >> searching and sorting functions of Windows Explorer to check for duplicate
            >> observations and to append an accession number when multiple
            >> observations come
            >> in for a single object.
            >>
            >> Simply stated, I need the hierarchical structure of Windows Explorer in an
            >> application that doesn't use the Windows File Allocation Table. If
            >> the Outline
            >> structure in NoteTab had say 8 or 10 levels of sub-outlines, it would be a
            >> good tool for this job.
            >
            > What abut this?
            > http://arachnoid.com/dbedit/
            >
            > Simple CSV files, so you could use NTP to make the entries. Multiple
            > level sorting, e.g sort by date, then by name, then by...
            > It's a tad old. Don't know if it's Vista safe.
            >
            > Lotta

            what a hoot:
            http://arachnoid.com/freeware/index.html

            I love it.

            You can run non-vista stuff in vista by saying run as another windows
            type I believe.

            Don
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
              Don wrote:
              >what a hoot:
              >http://arachnoid.com/freeware/index.html
              >
              >I love it.

              Me too. I just wish Lutus had developed dbEdit a little instead of
              writing those other programs I'm not interested in... Just a few more
              features and it would be perfect. There is no was to refresh for
              instance. If you have a file open in dbEdit and edit it in Notetab,
              you have to close it and reopen to see the changes.

              >You can run non-vista stuff in vista by saying run as another windows
              >type I believe.

              Oh. Thanks.

              Lotta
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 22, 2008
                Hi Lotta,

                Thanks for the reply.

                <<What abut this?
                http://arachnoid.com/dbedit/

                dbEdit looks promising. It's definitely fast. I'm not using Vista, so that's
                not an issue (yet). Directory print from Karen's Power tools or the DIR
                command in DOS will get all 8,000 entries (records) into dbEdit. I'm still
                looking to see how to preserve hierarchy. Maybe append file names to the fully
                qualified folder and sub-folder names. That will create some very long lines
                for each record. To search on several terms, it is necessary to conduct
                separate searches, and combine the results. The other problem is the ease with
                which dbEdit will permanently modify the contents of the DB I'm working on.
                Until I firmly ingrain the habit of saving, I am sure I will destroy the bulk
                of my DB just by doing a sort or a search.

                dbEdit is worth having as a quick substitute for Excel when all that's needed
                is a reordering or deletion or addition of columns in tabular data.

                I'm still looking for a catalog that can handle hierarchical data in a
                graphical tree-like form as Windows Explorer does.

                Ray Shapp
              • Hugo Paulissen
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                  I'm still looking for a catalog that can handle hierarchical data in a
                  graphical tree-like form as Windows Explorer does.

                  Ray Shapp

                  .

                  Hi Ray,

                  I may be amiss, but I'd have a look at alternative Explorer-applications - there are some free apps that will do what you want. XYplorer has nice search routines (regex, boolean, fuzzy, timerestricted), is fast, copies relevant info to files/clipboard, etc. You'll have to google for a free version of a couple of years ago. There are other Explorer-replacements as well.

                  http://www.xyplorer.com/%c2%a0

                  I just downloaded FolderTree, an Excel Add-in that does a nice job of generating a directorylist in Excel - you can have an indented (cells are tabs) list with all relevant details with a couple of mouseclicks. As far as I understood.

                  http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FolderTree.aspx

                  Regards,

                  Hugo

                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

                    > Simply stated, I need the hierarchical structure of Windows
                    > Explorer in an application that doesn't use the Windows File
                    > Allocation Table. If the Outline structure in NoteTab had say 8
                    > or 10 levels of sub-outlines, it would be a good tool for this
                    > job.

                    If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
                    been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
                    the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
                    server doesn't seem to be working any more.

                    You will probably need to join the Yahoo Ecco group to get this
                    download. Ecco's last version was 4.01.

                    Sheri
                  • Bruce Meyers
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                      Ray,

                      If you are willing to spend some money, you might look at an older
                      version of InfoSelect. The current version is expensive, but the older versions
                      will do a lot of what you want and don't cost too much.  You can see the
                      prices for older versions here:

                      http://www.miclog.com/ordering/old_products.shtml

                      Another place to look is at Jot Plus Notes from King Stairs Software. I don't
                      have URL but a search will find it. It is like InfoSelect but not quite as good.
                      It is less expensive, too.

                      Bruce Meyers

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                        Sheri wrote:
                        >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
                        >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
                        >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
                        >server doesn't seem to be working any more.

                        I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
                        their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.
                        http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

                        ftp.netmanage.com
                        navigate to
                        support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe

                        Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                        EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                        builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                        http://eccomagic.com/

                        Lotta
                      • Ray Shapp
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                          Hello Hugo,

                          <<I just downloaded FolderTree, an Excel Add-in>>

                          Thanks for that. The Add-in processed my astronomy folder in about two
                          seconds. It took three seconds to create indented spreadsheet of a second
                          folder containing 4000 sub-folders and files holding 5gigs of data. This is
                          really slick and will do the job nicely. Many thanks to you and all who
                          responded.

                          Ray Shapp
                        • LaurieK
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                            There is a great program called DirPrint which will gather the data in a
                            text file

                            http://www.galcott.com/

                            Or to actually catalog files with all info etc, Where Is It is a FANTASTIC
                            program, it will even pull DVD and CD info from the internet, I've been a
                            registered user for Y E A R S ..

                            http://www.whereisit-soft.com/

                            And there is also Insight, if you wish to create a collapsible outline like
                            the outline format in NoteTab... this is a FANTASTIC OTL file application,
                            but the end result is a *.cat file.. You can use Fine and replace on the
                            resulting Dir Print text file (if you wanted to run the shareware version)
                            and then create the Outline in Insight.

                            www.dataomega.com/insight

                            That's a few suggestions...

                            Hope this helps... there's also a freebie cataloger EZ-Cat and another
                            one that I can't think of right now that I use at work because its free but
                            its not near as awesome as Where is it for cataloging disks, its PRIMO!!

                            Laurie

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                              > Sheri wrote:
                              > >If you want to try doing it with a collapsible outline, try Ecco. Its
                              > >been free for many years. You used to be able to download the app from
                              > >the NetManage FTP. But NetManage was bought by Micro Focus and the FTP
                              > >server doesn't seem to be working any more.
                              >
                              > I was able to download it with a FTP program. Clicking the link at
                              > their site doesn't work for me either. No idea why that is.

                              http://supportweb.netmanage.com/ts_viewnow/downloads/patchesUnsupported/ecco.asp

                              > ftp.netmanage.com
                              > navigate to
                              > support/pub/utilities/EC401/Ecco32/Setup32.exe
                              >
                              > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                              > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                              > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                              > http://eccomagic.com/
                              >
                              > Lotta

                              Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
                              up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
                              group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
                              didn't know about either.

                              FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
                              and out of it forever without any add-ins.

                              Regards,
                              Sheri
                            • Alec Burgess
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 23, 2008
                                Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-10-23 at
                                18:04):
                                > > Thanks! I had forgotten about this program. Do you know what
                                > > EccoMagic is? Their site is very confusing. Is it a program that
                                > > builds on Ecco? Several programs maybe?
                                > > http://eccomagic.com/
                                > >
                                > > Lotta
                                > >

                                > Not familiar with those, thanks for pointing them out. I haven't kept
                                > up these new developements. Seems there's also another Ecco Yahoo
                                > group now at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ecco_pro (which I
                                > didn't know about either.
                                >
                                > FWIW, I've managed to keep tons of info in Ecco and convert data in
                                > and out of it forever without any add-ins.

                                The new group features an enhancement to Ecco called eccoext
                                (EccoExtension) that add some nice functionality to the Ecco -
                                scriptable LUA, regular expressions, powerful filters, fix for Y2K bug.
                                see here: http://eccoextdoc.wikispaces.com/

                                EccoMagic is a set of enhancement programs that can be run with Ecco and
                                also a discussion forum associated with the ecco_pro yahoo group. see
                                here: http://www.eccomagic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

                                If interested in Ecco also worth checking out SQLNotes (recently renamed
                                to InfoQube)
                                start here: www.*sqlnotes*.net/ *
                                *Its in free beta right now but definitely usable in its current state.