Re: [NTO] Need some help about IE

  • Edward
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 18, 2008
      Mordechai,
      Have you tried using FireFox to see how it works. IE does become corrupted
      at times. There is a free service that I use as it seems to be run by
      Microsoft people, could be wrong but they know Microsoft programs. It is
      www.techsupportforum.com it just takes more than a day sometimes to get
      help but they have solved many problems for me. By the way I find the Avant
      browser to more like the IE browser. I really prefer the new Free Opera.
      No ads just a great browser. I keep IE around only because sometimes to
      find and secure needed microsoft updates and information you need it in
      order to get on their web pages.
      ed
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2008
        Hi Mordechai,

        I don't have a specific cure for you, however, the following may help:

        <<Recently have serious problem with IE (version6), when I start my
        computer,>>

        Download and install MSIE version 7. I don't remember whether you need to
        uninstall version 6 before you install version 7. Just follow the prompts,
        however, if you really want to uninstall MSIE version 6, use the free CCleaner
        utility. When CCleaner is running, click on Tools then Uninstall. The browser
        is listed as "Windows Internet Explorer 6". Get CCleaner from
        http://www.ccleaner.com/ Note, CCleaner has the power to clean out lots of
        areas of your PC. Use it with care -- especially if you use it to clean your
        Registry.

        Use Windows Update to get Service Pack 3 for WinXP Pro.

        Do a free online virus scan from Panda (
        http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/ )or HouseCall (
        http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ ). Both of these services require you to
        install their search engine on your PC the first time you run the scan. Both
        will delete or quarantine real viruses but Panda requires that you register.
        Registration is free, otherwise it will report any problems it finds, but it
        will not delete or quarantine the problems.

        Run HijackThis ( http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html ).

        Run SpywareBlaster ( http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html ).

        Run Spybot Search & Destroy ( http://www.safer-networking.org/ ).

        Please be aware that some malicious software is available for download with
        names that are very similar sounding to the legitimate sites. The URLs above
        have been tested by me recently, and they appear to be safe.

        Use all of these aids cautiously. Do complete backups of critical data before
        you run them. A very good registry backup program which creates backups that
        will not evaporate like some System Restore points is ERUNT (
        http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt ).

        Good luck!

        Ray Shapp