Need some help about IE

  • M.M.
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 18, 2008
      Hello,
      Recently have serious problem with IE (version6), when I start my computer,
      right after the starting sequence ends, the known IE window saying how sorry
      they are that IE has to shut down, and to report MS about the problem - and
      I am not connected to the net yet.
      This window pops up every few seconds, I close it and after couple of
      seconds it is up again.
      When I open the task manager I can see 2 (two) iexplore.exe running in the
      'process' window, (IE is not yet opened by me, and still not connected !), I
      click to end it and it opens there again, using quit a lot of memory. When I
      open IE I see there 3 (three) iexplore.exe, but the "sorry...." windows does
      not popup.
      What I did so far: Scan virus run - clean, in IE tools activated default
      options, deleted all cookies, all temp files, all history, and I am the only
      user.
      OS = win xp pro with the most security updates.

      I started thinking on re-installing IE, but there is no option to uninstall
      it first, so the last thing will be errasing drive C and reinstall windows
      and all other programs.
      Any ideas about this problem will be welcome.
      Thanks in advance
      Mordechai

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2008
        "M.M." wrote:
        > What I did so far: Scan virus run - clean,

        In spite of that, this sounds a lot like some virus to me.

        > Any ideas about this problem will be welcome.

        One thing you seem to have forgotten:
        Start MSCONFIG and choose Startup. IE has no right to be in there. If it
        is, disable it. But if this should work, this will only be a
        workaaround. You need to find out what caused IE to autostart in the
        first place. It might just be Windows and a failed shutdown, but I
        wouldn't dare to rely on that.

        Axel
      • Edward
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2008
          Mordechai,
          Have you tried using FireFox to see how it works. IE does become corrupted
          at times. There is a free service that I use as it seems to be run by
          Microsoft people, could be wrong but they know Microsoft programs. It is
          www.techsupportforum.com it just takes more than a day sometimes to get
          help but they have solved many problems for me. By the way I find the Avant
          browser to more like the IE browser. I really prefer the new Free Opera.
          No ads just a great browser. I keep IE around only because sometimes to
          find and secure needed microsoft updates and information you need it in
          order to get on their web pages.
          ed
          > Recently have serious problem with IE (version6), when I start my
          > computer,
          > right after the starting sequence ends, the known IE window saying how
          > sorry
          > they are that IE has to shut down, and to report MS about the problem -
          > and
          > I am not connected to the net yet.
          > This window pops up every few seconds, I close it and after couple of
          > seconds it is up again.
          > When I open the task manager I can see 2 (two) iexplore.exe running in the
          > 'process' window, (IE is not yet opened by me, and still not connected !),
          > click to end it and it opens there again, using quit a lot of memory. When
          > open IE I see there 3 (three) iexplore.exe, but the "sorry...." windows
          > does
          > not popup.
          > What I did so far: Scan virus run - clean, in IE tools activated default
          > options, deleted all cookies, all temp files, all history, and I am the
          > only
          > user.
          > OS = win xp pro with the most security updates.
          >
          > I started thinking on re-installing IE, but there is no option to
          > uninstall
          > it first, so the last thing will be errasing drive C and reinstall windows
          > and all other programs.
          > Any ideas about this problem will be welcome.
          > Thanks in advance
          > Mordechai

        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 20, 2008
            Hi Mordechai,

            I don't have a specific cure for you, however, the following may help:

            <<Recently have serious problem with IE (version6), when I start my
            computer,>>

            Download and install MSIE version 7. I don't remember whether you need to
            uninstall version 6 before you install version 7. Just follow the prompts,
            however, if you really want to uninstall MSIE version 6, use the free CCleaner
            utility. When CCleaner is running, click on Tools then Uninstall. The browser
            is listed as "Windows Internet Explorer 6". Get CCleaner from
            http://www.ccleaner.com/ Note, CCleaner has the power to clean out lots of
            areas of your PC. Use it with care -- especially if you use it to clean your
            Registry.

            Use Windows Update to get Service Pack 3 for WinXP Pro.

            Do a free online virus scan from Panda (
            http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/ )or HouseCall (
            http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ ). Both of these services require you to
            install their search engine on your PC the first time you run the scan. Both
            will delete or quarantine real viruses but Panda requires that you register.
            Registration is free, otherwise it will report any problems it finds, but it
            will not delete or quarantine the problems.

            Run HijackThis ( http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html ).

            Run SpywareBlaster ( http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html ).

            Run Spybot Search & Destroy ( http://www.safer-networking.org/ ).

            Please be aware that some malicious software is available for download with
            names that are very similar sounding to the legitimate sites. The URLs above
            have been tested by me recently, and they appear to be safe.

            Use all of these aids cautiously. Do complete backups of critical data before
            you run them. A very good registry backup program which creates backups that
            will not evaporate like some System Restore points is ERUNT (
            http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt ).

            Good luck!

            Ray Shapp