Re: PowerShell (was:: [Clip] capture command prompt output in notetab?)

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 7, 2008
      Alec Burgess wrote:
      > Did you get it from
      >http://4dos.zzl.org/ ?
      >
      >At least for me, the install procedure seemed very confusing ....

      The last version is still available from jpsoft site.
      http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

      Lotta
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 11, 2008
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

        > Sheri - you're into this kind of thing - have you (or anyone else
        > here) used PowerShell?

        Hi Alec,

        PowerShell was the successor to Windows Scripting Host. I installed it
        back in February, but never did much of anywhere with it.

        Unrelated (since you mentioned Clipcode Syntax), have you tried my
        Code Accelerator PowerPro script? It can act as a resident prompter
        for personal snippets and/or code syntax for various script tools or
        languages, and as a front end for searching a pdf file or index. It
        can be used from inside other apps.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 11, 2008
          Sheri (silvermoonwoman@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-09-11 at
          18:17):
          > > Sheri - you're into this kind of thing - have you (or anyone else
          > > here) used PowerShell?
          >
          > Hi Alec,
          >
          > PowerShell was the successor to Windows Scripting Host. I installed it
          > back in February, but never did much of anywhere with it.

          might be worth having another look at ... I'd done only a little bit
          with VBScript (I think that's essentially the same as Windows scripting
          host. n'est-ce pas?). I was trying to get scripts setup to run NTBackup.
          The syntax of Powershell seems much cleaner and more natural to me.
          Apparently there is a Windows Powershell 2 (in beta now) but haven't
          looked at that. One feature list I saw said in includes a built-in GUI.

          > Unrelated (since you mentioned Clipcode Syntax), have you tried my
          > Code Accelerator PowerPro script? It can act as a resident prompter
          > for personal snippets and/or code syntax for various script tools or
          > languages, and as a front end for searching a pdf file or index. It
          > can be used from inside other apps.

          I've fallen behind on your stuff. I just now looked back (in my Gmail
          archive) and see 24 threads about it from early March thru late June and
          2 files posted in August from the Power-Pro list. FWIW: I've just put it
          on my personal To-Do list which always seems to get additions much
          faster than it does completions :-[

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 12, 2008
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

            > I've fallen behind on your stuff. I just now looked back (in my
            > Gmail archive) and see 24 threads about it from early March thru
            > late June and 2 files posted in August from the Power-Pro list.
            > FWIW: I've just put it on my personal To-Do list which always
            > seems to get additions much faster than it does completions :-[

            This should make it easier, for when you get 'round to it:

            You should in advance have installed at least Acrobat Reader 8.1. The
            new 9.0 also works fine.

            You should be running the latest version of PowerPro, which can be
            found here:

            <http://powerpro.webeddie.com/download/pwrpro48.zip>

            This file is occasionally updated (but keeps the same download file
            name). The ppro48.dat file in the latest zip is dated 8/23/2008.

            You should download the powerpro pdf zip and unzip it into your
            PowerPro application folder (retaining folder structure) from the
            PowerPro forum's Documentation folder. The most recent one currently
            available is:

            Download the most recent version of Code Accelerator from the PowerPro
            forum's Scripts folder. Currently that is:

            Put its *.powerpro and *.ico files into your PowerPro Scripts folder,
            and the rest into your PowerPro data folder (usually the same as the
            application folder). If your data folder is separate from the
            application folder, your Scripts folder is a subfolder of the data folder.

            Set up a powerpro hotkey to launch the Code Accelerator. The hotkey
            can use the command:

            .CA@runbar

            Leave the target window entry blank, so that it will work in all windows.

            That should be enough to get you started. You can read the CA.chm help
            file for more info.

            Regards,
            Sheri

            PS, if anyone else reading here is interested but would be new to
            PowerPro, you should also look at this
            <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/CustomClipkeysInfo.html>
            . If you install Custom Clipkeys you will get a useful starting
            PowerPro configuration.
          • Vance E. Neff
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
              This is totally off topic!

              I have an acquaintance that had purchased a couple of computers from a
              company that went out of business. They did not receive any recovery
              disks, so they are unavailable. Both of these computers need to have
              Windows XP be re-installed because of apparently unfixable problems.

              My question is this:
              Can I and is it legal to install my copy of Windows XP onto their
              computers but register them using the Windows product key code attached
              to the computers?

              Thanks in advance for the info!
              Vance
            • Chris Laarman
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
                On Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:34 PM [GMT+1=CET],
                Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:

                > This is totally off topic!
                >
                > I have an acquaintance that had purchased a couple of computers from a
                > company that went out of business. They did not receive any recovery
                > disks, so they are unavailable. Both of these computers need to have
                > Windows XP be re-installed because of apparently unfixable problems.
                >
                > My question is this:
                > Can I and is it legal to install my copy of Windows XP onto their
                > computers but register them using the Windows product key code
                > attached to the computers?

                1) In my opinion the product key matters, not the source of the
                distribution files.

                2) Computers may have rescue partitions on their (original) hard disks,
                instead of coming with removable media. These would be accessed by
                pressing a certain key upon boot-up (similar to entering the ROM
                settings).
                It would be possible to create recovery disks from (within) such rescue
                partition.
                You could search the Web for the brands, types and probably a word like
                "rescue" in order to find out about rescue partitions and accessing
                them.

                --
                Chris Laarman
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
                  Vance E. Neff wrote:
                  > My question is this:
                  > Can I and is it legal to install my copy of Windows XP onto their
                  > computers but register them using the Windows product key code attached
                  > to the computers?

                  In a word - no.
                  You probably have a single machine licence.

                  Also, if you try to do multiple installs with a single licence version
                  you may have problems when it connect to verifies the copy as being valid.
                  -Mike
                  www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
                    Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                    > In a word - no.
                    > You probably have a single machine licence.

                    I believe you've got that backwords. Vance has got three licences,
                    one for every machine. The installation CDs are mass produced and
                    all the same anyway. The only possibility might be a different
                    version, but the test vor a valid license number should catch that.

                    So totally legal, IMHO, but that's not worth a lot.

                    Axel
                  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
                      Axel Berger wrote:

                      > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                      > > In a word - no.
                      > > You probably have a single machine licence.

                      I was referring to the CD/Key Vance has. It is one license. No?

                      I don't think you can use the same key for different licenses.

                      > I believe you've got that backwords. Vance has got three licences,
                      > one for every machine. The installation CDs are mass produced and
                      > all the same anyway. The only possibility might be a different
                      > version, but the test vor a valid license number should catch that.

                      I have tried rescue disk from one Dell to another Dell and they would
                      not install. So, it can get complicated - and frustrating.
                      -Mike
                    • Vance E. Neff
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
                        Chris,

                        Thanks for the response!

                        In both cases, pressing F11 is suppose to engage the recovery software,
                        but nothing happens. In one case (Gateway laptop) the computer is
                        suppose to prompt you to do this, but doesn't.
                        In the case of the Dell desktop, it just doesn't work.

                        Vance

                        Chris Laarman wrote:
                        > On Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:34 PM [GMT+1=CET],
                        > Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> This is totally off topic!
                        >>
                        >> I have an acquaintance that had purchased a couple of computers from a
                        >> company that went out of business. They did not receive any recovery
                        >> disks, so they are unavailable. Both of these computers need to have
                        >> Windows XP be re-installed because of apparently unfixable problems.
                        >>
                        >> My question is this:
                        >> Can I and is it legal to install my copy of Windows XP onto their
                        >> computers but register them using the Windows product key code
                        >> attached to the computers?
                        >>

                        > 1) In my opinion the product key matters, not the source of the
                        > distribution files.
                        >
                        > 2) Computers may have rescue partitions on their (original) hard disks,
                        > instead of coming with removable media. These would be accessed by
                        > pressing a certain key upon boot-up (similar to entering the ROM
                        > settings).
                        > It would be possible to create recovery disks from (within) such rescue
                        > partition.
                        > You could search the Web for the brands, types and probably a word like
                        > "rescue" in order to find out about rescue partitions and accessing
                        > them.

                      • David Smart
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
                          There seems to be some uncertainty over your question, so to clarify ...

                          You have one XP CD?
                          You have three XP licence keys (one for your current computer and one on
                          each of the bought computers)?

                          If that is the case, then the legality should be fine. XP CDs are
                          mass-produced and don't have installation-specific information in them.

                          However, XP keys are relative to specific XP editions, I think. You might
                          find that the keys that the purchased computers have will not be accepted by
                          the XP installation from your CD. If so, you need to find someone with an
                          XP CD of the appropriate version.

                          Also, look on the hard disks of the purchased computers before doing any
                          reinstalling. Many computers now come with the operating system
                          installation on a hard disk partition or in a directory on C:. The user
                          guide for the computers involved should be able to be downloaded from the
                          Web and will presumably talk about reinstallation.

                          In addition, do contact the computers' manufacturer for advice. They might
                          be able to provide copies of recovery disks for a nominal sum. Or the
                          recovery disks might even be able to be downloaded from the Web.

                          Regards, Dave S

                          > I have an acquaintance that had purchased a couple of computers from a
                          > company that went out of business. They did not receive any recovery
                          > disks, so they are unavailable. Both of these computers need to have
                          > Windows XP be re-installed because of apparently unfixable problems.
                          >
                          > My question is this:
                          > Can I and is it legal to install my copy of Windows XP onto their
                          > computers but register them using the Windows product key code attached
                          > to the computers?
                          >

                          > Thanks in advance for the info!
                          > Vance

                        • Chris Laarman
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
                            On Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:06 PM [GMT+1=CET],
                            Vance E. Neff <veneff@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks for the response!

                            :-)

                            > In both cases, pressing F11 is suppose to engage the recovery
                            > software, but nothing happens. In one case (Gateway laptop) the
                            > computer is suppose to prompt you to do this, but doesn't.
                            > In the case of the Dell desktop, it just doesn't work.

                            Then the previous user may have repartitioned the drives, sacrificing
                            the recovery partitions, or he may have replaced the drives, or.... That
                            company might even have those recovery disks (created from the
                            partitions) about to be disposed of.

                            By the way, I once had a Dell (my most expensive mistake), and the
                            recovery was contained in some directory rather than partition.
                            Something like C:\Windows\Options. (Windows ME, can't check it anymore)

                            In my opinion the value is in those Product Key stickers anyway. I
                            suggest to your acquaintance (and anybody) to take a digital picture of
                            such sticker, and save it along with other important data.
                            The notebook I'm writing this on had to be taken in for service, and
                            somehow its Windows sticker had disappeared. Fortunately I happened to
                            have taken a picture of it (and the hardware serial number), in case the
                            computer should be stolen at a computer fair. Moreover, it is far easier
                            to read and re-enter such key from a picture than from the bottom side
                            of the computer you're reviving...

                            --
                            Chris Laarman
                          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 19, 2009
                              Great idea to take a picture.

                              I bought a new copy of recovery disks from a manufacturer a few years
                              ago. Called with serial number, paid $30 bucks and waited about four
                              days for them to arrive.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
                                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                                > Great idea to take a picture.
                                >
                                > I bought a new copy of recovery disks from a manufacturer a few years
                                > ago. Called with serial number, paid $30 bucks and waited about four
                                > days for them to arrive.

                                Several years ago I started making copies of my Windows and Application
                                CDs along with product keys.
                                I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
                                If nothing else, it is some cheap peace of mind and less hassle if the
                                original CDs are no where to be found when you really need them.

                                -Mike
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
                                  Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                                  > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.

                                  Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
                                  unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
                                  electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
                                  the same room and only feet away from the working computer. Thus
                                  there are many scenarios possible getting at all of them, fire being
                                  just one. I've felt bad about that for ages but never enough to
                                  really do something.

                                  And, to be honest, a standard mass produced OS license, even if not
                                  at all cheap, is the least of my concerns.

                                  Axel
                                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
                                    Axel Berger wrote:

                                    > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                                    > > I now store them in safety deposit box at a local bank.
                                    >
                                    > Very sensible. My backup drives are outside of any computer and
                                    > unconnected to anything, so they are safe from software and most
                                    > electrical mishaps (barring a direct lighning hit), but they are in
                                    > the same room and only feet away from the working computer.

                                    I have two redundant, networked drives in the basement for data back-up.
                                    But, they are susceptible to the same scenarios as you describe above.

                                    I guess you could consider my web space back-up as well for my photos
                                    The "thumbs" are linked to the original files stored on the web server.
                                    But, that is all for not. When I kick the bucket, the web site gets
                                    wiped and all is lost.
                                    Compared to books, digital data is ephemeral.
                                    -mb

                                    --

                                    Morgantown WV

                                    www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                                  • David Smart
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 20, 2009
                                      I found myself doing something similar and thought about what a fire would
                                      do.

                                      What I did is to buy two identical 2 1/2 inch 250GB external drives in USB
                                      enclosures. One lives at the office and the other one is attached to my
                                      computer where it takes an auto backup of almost everything once per day.
                                      Every three or four weeks, I take the home one to work and bring the work
                                      one home. This means that I have a daily backup that isn't actually inside
                                      the computer, plus a monthly backup in a different location, for very little
                                      effort.

                                      I also carry a 16GB USB stick on my key ring that transports my current data
                                      files for use on other computers. This has the secondary benefit of being
                                      an "almost offsite" data backup that is completely up to date.

                                      About the only thing I don't back up is software installations and
                                      installation disks. I can get new versions of these easily enough. (If the
                                      installation disks get destroyed, then so does the computer, and probably
                                      the house. I'll get new installation disks when I replace the computer.)

                                      Regards, Dave S