Re: [NTO] Re: Programs Installations

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6 7:29 AM
      John Zeman wrote:
      > FWIW I never have multiple partitions on a drive as I've
      > never found any valid reason to do so.

      I don't know about NTFS but with FAT32 there is one: I use huge
      partitions for big multi-MB files, but try to place many small
      files, like HTML sources or TeX on one with no more than 8 GB. I
      seems to run faster that way, but especially whenever scandisk runs
      the penalty of many small files on a huge disk is enormous.

      Axel
    • M.M.
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6 7:50 AM
        Hello
        First Thanks to all for your answers.
        And to Larry: Sorry, I do not follow you, starting your answer you recommed
        installing OS AND all other programs into "C" (same partition and has to be
        big enough), and further you say that you install the programs to "E" which
        is another partition, how come??, as I said - I do not follow, please
        explain.
        Thanks again
        Mordechai

        On 9/6/08, Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:

        > M.M. wrote:
        > > Hello,
        > > Have to replace harddisk in my computer, which leads to a whole new
        > > installation of
        > > OS (win xp pro) and all other programs.
        > > The disk is divided into several partitions, the OS was installed on "C",
        > >
        > <snip>
        > > I would like to have your opinion about this, 'cons and pros'
        > > Thanks in advance
        > > Mordechai
        > Mordechai,
        >
        > You have an opportunity to plan this out and do it in a way that will
        > simplify the next time.
        >
        > I recommend C:\ for Windows and programs. What I would do is install
        > Windows and then patch it all the way, defrag with something like
        > jkdefrag (freeware & very good). Then clone the disk with one of the
        > free "ghost" programs. This way, you will have an install point if you
        > ever want to start fresh and save a lot of time. You will find that a
        > fresh install of Windows is a lot faster than after it builds up the
        > registry rot. Having this image will get you back to this point very
        > quickly.
        >
        > Then install all your main programs that you know you will always use.
        > Then defrag and clone again. This will give you a "full system" the next
        > time you need to get a new drive and save a ton of time.
        >
        > I would have all data on another partition. Of course, do regular
        > backups. Having data on another partition saves the hassle of wiping it
        > out just to format c: to do a reinstall. If you can do it, having data
        > on a separate physical drive makes this even better.
        >
        > I also install programs that can handle it to e:\Program Files, so I do
        > not have to keep re-installing them. I do this with NoteTab, since I do
        > not have it save to the Registry. I also do this with the other Fookes
        > products, and many other products. Most programs can figure out what to
        > do without a reinstall. This save me a lot of time when I have to re-do
        > Windows. It also allows me to get away with a smaller partition for
        > Windows.
        >
        > I dual boot and have Windows and Slackware Linux on one drive and my
        > data and home one another drive. Windows & Linux have different drive
        > formats, so I can re-install one without harming the other, including
        > formatting. I then back up all my data to an external hard drive. I like
        > John's idea of keeping a drive in the safe deposit box. I also like the
        > idea, though expensive, of all the hard drives.
        >
        > Larry Hamilton
        > Kairos Computer Solutions
        > http://www.kairoscomputers.com/

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6 8:11 AM
          M.M. wrote:
          > Hello
          > First Thanks to all for your answers.
          > And to Larry: Sorry, I do not follow you, starting your answer you recommed
          > installing OS AND all other programs into "C" (same partition and has to be
          > big enough), and further you say that you install the programs to "E" which
          > is another partition, how come??, as I said - I do not follow, please
          > explain.
          > Thanks again
          > Mordechai

          Sorry if I was not clear, multitasking strikes again! ;-)

          I put the OS on C:\ as required. I put data and programs on another
          physical drive, in my case E:\. If Windows needs to be reinstalled for
          some reason, my programs are preserved. I have to re-build shortcuts,
          but most programs can handle not being re-installed in this situation.

          I do this to save time and simplify my set up. The only programs I put
          on C:\ are ones that do no give me a choice on install.

          I also tell My Documents to store on another partition, since my
          teenager likes to fill up his ipod software with music and movies, the
          rest of us run out of room. ;-)

          I hope this is more clear.

          Larry Hamilton
        • M.M.