Programs Installations

  • M.M.
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2008
      Hello,
      Have to replace harddisk in my computer, which leads to a whole new
      installation of
      OS (win xp pro) and all other programs.
      The disk is divided into several partitions, the OS was installed on "C",
      and all other programs
      I used to install on another partition (don't know why, I think I read
      sometime something
      about this). Or should I install all the programs also on "C" - in the
      "Program Files" folder.
      The other partitions are to store data.
      I would like to have your opinion about this, 'cons and pros'
      Thanks in advance
      Mordechai

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
        "M.M." wrote:
        > I would like to have your opinion about this, 'cons and pros'

        I never have the system or the program files on C:. One, possibly
        slight, advantage is, that viruses need to be small. You have seen
        programs trying to install into standard paths witout reading your
        defined %progdir% from the registry. Among viruses this is more
        prevalent, so moving directories helps (a little).
        Also having the system on E: makes it possible to to run a third
        disk, whose primary partition will then become E:, and boot if my
        system partition has become corrupted. As it is then not the running
        system partition I can easily restore a backup onto it, not possible
        if it were C:.

        Axel
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
          --- On Sat, 9/6/08, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

          >>"M.M." wrote:

          >> I would like to have your opinion about this, 'cons and pros'

          > I never have the system or the program files on C:.

          I agree with Axel and do the same, however I should mention that there are some programs out there that if they find a C: partition will install in there without asking. Adobe were at one stage guilty of this.

          fw
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, M.M. <m.mordechai@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            > Have to replace harddisk in my computer, which leads to a whole new
            > installation of
            > OS (win xp pro) and all other programs.
            > The disk is divided into several partitions, the OS was installed on
            "C",
            > and all other programs
            > I used to install on another partition (don't know why, I think I read
            > sometime something
            > about this). Or should I install all the programs also on "C" - in the
            > "Program Files" folder.
            > The other partitions are to store data.
            > I would like to have your opinion about this, 'cons and pros'
            > Thanks in advance
            > Mordechai

            FWIW I never have multiple partitions on a drive as I've never found
            any valid reason to do so. Especially now days when there are so many
            removable devices out there that we attach to our computers using up
            most of the drive letters. I do use 2 hard internal hard drives
            however, the C: drive holds my operating system and all of my programs
            while the D: drive holds all of my data. Once a year I'll clone and
            swap out the C: drive for a new one and once every 18 months I'll
            clone and swap out the D: drive. I also keep multiple external hard
            drive backups of my D: drive stored in various locations, including
            one in a safe deposit box in my local bank.

            Using this method when I change out hard drives I never have to
            reinstall any programs or Windows, it makes life much easier for me.

            John
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
              M.M. wrote:
              > Hello,
              > Have to replace harddisk in my computer, which leads to a whole new
              > installation of
              > OS (win xp pro) and all other programs.
              > The disk is divided into several partitions, the OS was installed on "C",

              <snip>
              > I would like to have your opinion about this, 'cons and pros'
              > Thanks in advance
              > Mordechai
              Mordechai,

              You have an opportunity to plan this out and do it in a way that will
              simplify the next time.

              I recommend C:\ for Windows and programs. What I would do is install
              Windows and then patch it all the way, defrag with something like
              jkdefrag (freeware & very good). Then clone the disk with one of the
              free "ghost" programs. This way, you will have an install point if you
              ever want to start fresh and save a lot of time. You will find that a
              fresh install of Windows is a lot faster than after it builds up the
              registry rot. Having this image will get you back to this point very
              quickly.

              Then install all your main programs that you know you will always use.
              Then defrag and clone again. This will give you a "full system" the next
              time you need to get a new drive and save a ton of time.

              I would have all data on another partition. Of course, do regular
              backups. Having data on another partition saves the hassle of wiping it
              out just to format c: to do a reinstall. If you can do it, having data
              on a separate physical drive makes this even better.

              I also install programs that can handle it to e:\Program Files, so I do
              not have to keep re-installing them. I do this with NoteTab, since I do
              not have it save to the Registry. I also do this with the other Fookes
              products, and many other products. Most programs can figure out what to
              do without a reinstall. This save me a lot of time when I have to re-do
              Windows. It also allows me to get away with a smaller partition for
              Windows.

              I dual boot and have Windows and Slackware Linux on one drive and my
              data and home one another drive. Windows & Linux have different drive
              formats, so I can re-install one without harming the other, including
              formatting. I then back up all my data to an external hard drive. I like
              John's idea of keeping a drive in the safe deposit box. I also like the
              idea, though expensive, of all the hard drives.

              Larry Hamilton
              Kairos Computer Solutions
              http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
              Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
                John Zeman wrote:
                > FWIW I never have multiple partitions on a drive as I've
                > never found any valid reason to do so.

                I don't know about NTFS but with FAT32 there is one: I use huge
                partitions for big multi-MB files, but try to place many small
                files, like HTML sources or TeX on one with no more than 8 GB. I
                seems to run faster that way, but especially whenever scandisk runs
                the penalty of many small files on a huge disk is enormous.

                Axel
              • M.M.
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
                  Hello
                  First Thanks to all for your answers.
                  And to Larry: Sorry, I do not follow you, starting your answer you recommed
                  installing OS AND all other programs into "C" (same partition and has to be
                  big enough), and further you say that you install the programs to "E" which
                  is another partition, how come??, as I said - I do not follow, please
                  explain.
                  Thanks again
                  Mordechai

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 6, 2008
                    M.M. wrote:
                    > Hello
                    > First Thanks to all for your answers.
                    > And to Larry: Sorry, I do not follow you, starting your answer you recommed
                    > installing OS AND all other programs into "C" (same partition and has to be
                    > big enough), and further you say that you install the programs to "E" which
                    > is another partition, how come??, as I said - I do not follow, please
                    > explain.
                    > Thanks again
                    > Mordechai

                    Sorry if I was not clear, multitasking strikes again! ;-)

                    I put the OS on C:\ as required. I put data and programs on another
                    physical drive, in my case E:\. If Windows needs to be reinstalled for
                    some reason, my programs are preserved. I have to re-build shortcuts,
                    but most programs can handle not being re-installed in this situation.

                    I do this to save time and simplify my set up. The only programs I put
                    on C:\ are ones that do no give me a choice on install.

                    I also tell My Documents to store on another partition, since my
                    teenager likes to fill up his ipod software with music and movies, the
                    rest of us run out of room. ;-)

                    I hope this is more clear.

                    Larry Hamilton
                  • M.M.