Re: [NTO] java script question

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
      loro wrote:
      > Mike Breiding wrote:
      >
      >> All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.
      >>

      > So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
      > built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
      > text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

      What can I say - I like gadgets.

      -mb
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
        Mike Breiding wrote:
        >What can I say - I like gadgets.

        Boys and their toys! :-P

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
          loro wrote:
          > Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't change the text
          > size themselves?

          That's what I say in the next sentence.

          > A link to an short instruction about how to change text size
          > in their browser is something they would benefit from.

          Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
          to take it. A case in point is the bland look I get when asking
          people, if they also put a big wad of photocopies of all the
          previously exchanged letters with every new one, when writing on
          paper. (I add, that for me this would actually be helpful, it takes
          me ages to find older paper letters, but with mail it is just one
          single keystroke.) And the next question, why they make their mails
          one size smaller than I find comfortable to read, i.e. deliberately
          make it uncomfortable for me (size=2, the IE default), usually
          elicits the answer "I didn't write that email, that was the
          computer".

          So I stand by what I said: You and I will not do it, but I won't
          call Mike's solution wrong.

          [1] Q: How does one indent a parapgraph?
          A: Press Tab once at the beginning of each line.
          Q: What is Excel for?
          A: It's a program for aligning text in columns
          and for making squared paper.
        • Mike Breiding
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 1, 2008
            Axel Berger wrote:
            > Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
            > to take it.
            No one knows more than they want to know.
            Yes it would be wonderful to be so helpful and add all kinds of
            instructional links to my pages.
            But, I think this would be futile for 99% of the viewers.

            Just two weeks ago I found out one could Ctrl +- to change the font size
            in FF.
            But in IE 6 this does not work.

            Ctrl Mouse in IE 6 to change font size?
            Try it on this page:
            http://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe?hl=en&channel=us&s=http://wvrts.org/
            For me, only the menu tabs change size.
            In FF all the text changes size.

            Why not make it simpler by just adding the Jscript instead of confusing
            people with something like:
            "If your are using FF, change the text by Ctrl Mouse or Ctrl +-.
            In IE 6.0 blah, blah
            In IE 7. o blah, blah"

            Ad naseum...

            I know people who work with computers for a living and/or teach PC skills.
            Some of the them do know even the most fundamental and important things
            about software/hardware.
            But who am I to decide what is fundamental and important?

            No one knows more than they want to know.

            -Mike