[NTO] resize or not? WAS: java script question

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
      Axel Berger wrote:
      >On the one hand a script resizer offers a service to people unaware of
      >their own browser's capabilities

      I have to disagree. Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't
      change the text size themselves? A link to an short instruction about
      how to change text size in their browser is something they would
      benefit from. On the other hand, it's right there on the browser menu...

      Lotta
    • Mike Breiding
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
        loro wrote:
        > Mike Breiding wrote:
        >
        >> All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.
        >>

        > So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
        > built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
        > text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

        What can I say - I like gadgets.

        -mb
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
          Mike Breiding wrote:
          >What can I say - I like gadgets.

          Boys and their toys! :-P

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
            loro wrote:
            > Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't change the text
            > size themselves?

            That's what I say in the next sentence.

            > A link to an short instruction about how to change text size
            > in their browser is something they would benefit from.

            Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
            to take it. A case in point is the bland look I get when asking
            people, if they also put a big wad of photocopies of all the
            previously exchanged letters with every new one, when writing on
            paper. (I add, that for me this would actually be helpful, it takes
            me ages to find older paper letters, but with mail it is just one
            single keystroke.) And the next question, why they make their mails
            one size smaller than I find comfortable to read, i.e. deliberately
            make it uncomfortable for me (size=2, the IE default), usually
            elicits the answer "I didn't write that email, that was the
            computer".

            So I stand by what I said: You and I will not do it, but I won't
            call Mike's solution wrong.

            [1] Q: How does one indent a parapgraph?
            A: Press Tab once at the beginning of each line.
            Q: What is Excel for?
            A: It's a program for aligning text in columns
            and for making squared paper.
          • Mike Breiding
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 1, 2008
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
              > to take it.
              No one knows more than they want to know.
              Yes it would be wonderful to be so helpful and add all kinds of
              instructional links to my pages.
              But, I think this would be futile for 99% of the viewers.

              Just two weeks ago I found out one could Ctrl +- to change the font size
              in FF.
              But in IE 6 this does not work.

              Ctrl Mouse in IE 6 to change font size?
              Try it on this page:
              http://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe?hl=en&channel=us&s=http://wvrts.org/
              For me, only the menu tabs change size.
              In FF all the text changes size.

              Why not make it simpler by just adding the Jscript instead of confusing
              people with something like:
              "If your are using FF, change the text by Ctrl Mouse or Ctrl +-.
              In IE 6.0 blah, blah
              In IE 7. o blah, blah"

              Ad naseum...

              I know people who work with computers for a living and/or teach PC skills.
              Some of the them do know even the most fundamental and important things
              about software/hardware.
              But who am I to decide what is fundamental and important?

              No one knows more than they want to know.

              -Mike