Re: [NTO] java script question

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
      Mike Breiding wrote:
      >All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.

      So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
      built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
      text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

      The font resizer widget mania stems from "designer sites" not wanting
      to give up on their beloved miniscule pixel sized Verdana and at the
      same time pay lip service to accessibility. You have no need for it.
      Your text is already accessible. K.I.S.S. ;-)

      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
        loro wrote:
        > You have no need for it.
        > Your text is already accessible. K.I.S.S. ;-)

        Exactly. This places us in a bit of a quandry as conscientious
        designers, I think.
        On the one hand a script resizer offers a service to people unaware of
        their own browser's capabilities. It is a nice extra without making
        anything difficult for those with scripting off, that's all good.
        On the other hand it reinforces the wrong notion, that the designer is
        the arbiter of how a page is to be viewed, and it takes people away from
        learning about browsers, that's all bad.

        I do not offer any sizers on principle myself, as there's no place for
        them, when the web is used sensibly. But on the other hand stupid people
        not knowing the first thing about their tools and not the least bit
        prepared and able to learn are a huge majority. So catering for the
        reader as he is and not as I want her to be, one might well go for
        option number one. It's not my way, but I wouldn't call it wrong.

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
          Axel Berger wrote:
          >On the one hand a script resizer offers a service to people unaware of
          >their own browser's capabilities

          I have to disagree. Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't
          change the text size themselves? A link to an short instruction about
          how to change text size in their browser is something they would
          benefit from. On the other hand, it's right there on the browser menu...

          Lotta
        • Mike Breiding
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
            loro wrote:
            > Mike Breiding wrote:
            >
            >> All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.
            >>

            > So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
            > built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
            > text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

            What can I say - I like gadgets.

            -mb
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
              Mike Breiding wrote:
              >What can I say - I like gadgets.

              Boys and their toys! :-P

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                loro wrote:
                > Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't change the text
                > size themselves?

                That's what I say in the next sentence.

                > A link to an short instruction about how to change text size
                > in their browser is something they would benefit from.

                Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
                to take it. A case in point is the bland look I get when asking
                people, if they also put a big wad of photocopies of all the
                previously exchanged letters with every new one, when writing on
                paper. (I add, that for me this would actually be helpful, it takes
                me ages to find older paper letters, but with mail it is just one
                single keystroke.) And the next question, why they make their mails
                one size smaller than I find comfortable to read, i.e. deliberately
                make it uncomfortable for me (size=2, the IE default), usually
                elicits the answer "I didn't write that email, that was the
                computer".

                So I stand by what I said: You and I will not do it, but I won't
                call Mike's solution wrong.

                [1] Q: How does one indent a parapgraph?
                A: Press Tab once at the beginning of each line.
                Q: What is Excel for?
                A: It's a program for aligning text in columns
                and for making squared paper.
              • Mike Breiding
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 1, 2008
                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  > Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
                  > to take it.
                  No one knows more than they want to know.
                  Yes it would be wonderful to be so helpful and add all kinds of
                  instructional links to my pages.
                  But, I think this would be futile for 99% of the viewers.

                  Just two weeks ago I found out one could Ctrl +- to change the font size
                  in FF.
                  But in IE 6 this does not work.

                  Ctrl Mouse in IE 6 to change font size?
                  Try it on this page:
                  http://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe?hl=en&channel=us&s=http://wvrts.org/
                  For me, only the menu tabs change size.
                  In FF all the text changes size.

                  Why not make it simpler by just adding the Jscript instead of confusing
                  people with something like:
                  "If your are using FF, change the text by Ctrl Mouse or Ctrl +-.
                  In IE 6.0 blah, blah
                  In IE 7. o blah, blah"

                  Ad naseum...

                  I know people who work with computers for a living and/or teach PC skills.
                  Some of the them do know even the most fundamental and important things
                  about software/hardware.
                  But who am I to decide what is fundamental and important?

                  No one knows more than they want to know.

                  -Mike