Re: [NTO] java script question

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
      Mike Breiding wrote:
      > This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
      > That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.

      In that case I suggest you style the font size for DIV.content in
      your style and then change just and only that in your script. Font
      sizes in elements inside that DIV are inherited verbatim or should
      be defined in units of em. They will then vary in line with all
      changes of the outer em-size.
      Just think about all the other things, perhaps added later, you
      might have forgotten: headings, lists, quotes ...

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
        Axel Berger wrote:
        > Mike Breiding wrote:
        >
        >> This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
        >> That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.
        >>

        > In that case I suggest you style the font size for DIV.content in
        > your style and then change just and only that in your script. Font
        > sizes in elements inside that DIV are inherited verbatim or should
        > be defined in units of em. They will then vary in line with all
        > changes of the outer em-size.
        > Just think about all the other things, perhaps added later, you
        > might have forgotten: headings, lists, quotes ...

        Good point and forward thinking.
        Now I need to think the same way.

        Thanks,Mike
        www.EpicRoadTrips.us/dad/
      • Mike Breiding
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
          Axel Berger wrote:
          > Mike Breiding wrote:
          >
          >> This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
          >> That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.
          >>

          > In that case I suggest you style the font size for DIV.content in
          > your style and then change just and only that in your script.
          I removed:
          var p = d.getElementsByTagName('p');
          Thinking the change would then apply to all of the tags in the div#content.
          But it broke the script.

          I neglected to upload the page with Bob's script:
          http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/central_states_north_trip_june_2-15_1977/index.php
          -mb

          Altered script:
          function changeFontSize(inc) {
          var d = document.getElementById('content');
          for ( n = 0; n < p.length; n++ ) {
          if ( p[n].style.fontSize ) {
          var size = parseInt(p[n].style.fontSize.replace("%", ""));
          } else {
          var size = 100;
          }
          p[n].style.fontSize = size+(inc*10)+'%';
          }
          }
          </script>
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
            Mike Breiding wrote:
            >All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.

            So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
            built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
            text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

            The font resizer widget mania stems from "designer sites" not wanting
            to give up on their beloved miniscule pixel sized Verdana and at the
            same time pay lip service to accessibility. You have no need for it.
            Your text is already accessible. K.I.S.S. ;-)

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
              loro wrote:
              > You have no need for it.
              > Your text is already accessible. K.I.S.S. ;-)

              Exactly. This places us in a bit of a quandry as conscientious
              designers, I think.
              On the one hand a script resizer offers a service to people unaware of
              their own browser's capabilities. It is a nice extra without making
              anything difficult for those with scripting off, that's all good.
              On the other hand it reinforces the wrong notion, that the designer is
              the arbiter of how a page is to be viewed, and it takes people away from
              learning about browsers, that's all bad.

              I do not offer any sizers on principle myself, as there's no place for
              them, when the web is used sensibly. But on the other hand stupid people
              not knowing the first thing about their tools and not the least bit
              prepared and able to learn are a huge majority. So catering for the
              reader as he is and not as I want her to be, one might well go for
              option number one. It's not my way, but I wouldn't call it wrong.

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                Axel Berger wrote:
                >On the one hand a script resizer offers a service to people unaware of
                >their own browser's capabilities

                I have to disagree. Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't
                change the text size themselves? A link to an short instruction about
                how to change text size in their browser is something they would
                benefit from. On the other hand, it's right there on the browser menu...

                Lotta
              • Mike Breiding
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                  loro wrote:
                  > Mike Breiding wrote:
                  >
                  >> All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.
                  >>

                  > So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
                  > built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
                  > text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

                  What can I say - I like gadgets.

                  -mb
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                    Mike Breiding wrote:
                    >What can I say - I like gadgets.

                    Boys and their toys! :-P

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                      loro wrote:
                      > Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't change the text
                      > size themselves?

                      That's what I say in the next sentence.

                      > A link to an short instruction about how to change text size
                      > in their browser is something they would benefit from.

                      Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
                      to take it. A case in point is the bland look I get when asking
                      people, if they also put a big wad of photocopies of all the
                      previously exchanged letters with every new one, when writing on
                      paper. (I add, that for me this would actually be helpful, it takes
                      me ages to find older paper letters, but with mail it is just one
                      single keystroke.) And the next question, why they make their mails
                      one size smaller than I find comfortable to read, i.e. deliberately
                      make it uncomfortable for me (size=2, the IE default), usually
                      elicits the answer "I didn't write that email, that was the
                      computer".

                      So I stand by what I said: You and I will not do it, but I won't
                      call Mike's solution wrong.

                      [1] Q: How does one indent a parapgraph?
                      A: Press Tab once at the beginning of each line.
                      Q: What is Excel for?
                      A: It's a program for aligning text in columns
                      and for making squared paper.
                    • Mike Breiding
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 1, 2008
                        Axel Berger wrote:
                        > Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
                        > to take it.
                        No one knows more than they want to know.
                        Yes it would be wonderful to be so helpful and add all kinds of
                        instructional links to my pages.
                        But, I think this would be futile for 99% of the viewers.

                        Just two weeks ago I found out one could Ctrl +- to change the font size
                        in FF.
                        But in IE 6 this does not work.

                        Ctrl Mouse in IE 6 to change font size?
                        Try it on this page:
                        http://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe?hl=en&channel=us&s=http://wvrts.org/
                        For me, only the menu tabs change size.
                        In FF all the text changes size.

                        Why not make it simpler by just adding the Jscript instead of confusing
                        people with something like:
                        "If your are using FF, change the text by Ctrl Mouse or Ctrl +-.
                        In IE 6.0 blah, blah
                        In IE 7. o blah, blah"

                        Ad naseum...

                        I know people who work with computers for a living and/or teach PC skills.
                        Some of the them do know even the most fundamental and important things
                        about software/hardware.
                        But who am I to decide what is fundamental and important?

                        No one knows more than they want to know.

                        -Mike