Re: [NTO] java script question

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
      Bob Janes wrote:
      > This version *should* keep the font size in percent and
      > increase/decrease it by 10% on each click.

      I'm not doing an example myself here, because my Javascript is just
      terrible, but why don't you just change the font size of the body
      element? If all others are derived from that through ems or
      percentages they shall follow suit.

      As a purist I do not believe these funtions do any good anyway.
      These display decisions, font, size, colour, whathaveyou, are under
      the control of the browser and the reader, not the author. (Anything
      inside the code are to be considered suggestions.) It would be far
      better to remind users of the functions of their own programs. I've
      not yet had any "I can't change the font size on your site." yet,
      but you're helping to guide user's expectations in totally the wrong
      direction.

      I have two scripts for related problems. The first supplies an
      alternative for the missing max-width in IE<7. The object here are
      manageable line lengths, so the max-width is defined in ems of the
      user's chosen size.
      The second script checks whether the window is wide enough, at the
      chosen font size, to prevent horizontal scrolling and high enough to
      take the whole navigation menu. If so the latter is made fixed, so
      after reading down to the bottom you need not scroll up again to
      choose your next page.
      Both are part of the German site http://www.fdp-odenthal.de/ :
      http://www.fdp-odenthal.de/base/fix-width.js
      http://www.fdp-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
        Bob Janes wrote:
        > Hi Mike,
        > This version *should* keep the font size in percent and increase/decrease it
        > by 10% on each click.
        >
        > The extra var line limits the changes to the div id='content'.
        >
        > Not tested but it should work OK - fingers crossed.
        > Bob
        > +++++

        > function changeFontSize(inc) {
        > var d = document.getElementById('content');
        > var p = d.getElementsByTagName('p');

        This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
        That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.
        I tried to expand on that by adding:

        var d = document.getElementById('journalbirdlist');
        var p = d.getElementsByTagName('ol');

        But it did not work. I need to add 'ul' as well.
        > for ( n = 0; n < p.length; n++ ) {
        > if ( p[n].style.fontSize ) {
        > var size = parseInt(p[n].style.fontSize.replace("%", ""));
        > } else {
        > var size = 100;
        > }
        > p[n].style.fontSize = size+(inc*10)+'%';

        Does the last line increase/decrease it by 10% on each click?
        I changed (inc*10) to (inc*5) in an effort to get a smaller incremental
        change, but it did not work.
        What do I need to change that?

        Thanks for your help with this!
        It is starting to make some sence to me, but I am not a quick study.
        -Mike

        > }
        > }
        > </script>
        >
        > +++++

      • Bob Janes
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
          Hi Axel.

          Axel Berger <> wrote:
          > why don't you just change the font size of the body element?

          Broadly I agree with you though in this case Mike specifically said that he
          wanted to increase the size of certain elements.

          Best wishes

          Bob
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
            Mike Breiding wrote:
            > This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
            > That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.

            In that case I suggest you style the font size for DIV.content in
            your style and then change just and only that in your script. Font
            sizes in elements inside that DIV are inherited verbatim or should
            be defined in units of em. They will then vary in line with all
            changes of the outer em-size.
            Just think about all the other things, perhaps added later, you
            might have forgotten: headings, lists, quotes ...

            Axel
          • Mike Breiding
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > Mike Breiding wrote:
              >
              >> This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
              >> That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.
              >>

              > In that case I suggest you style the font size for DIV.content in
              > your style and then change just and only that in your script. Font
              > sizes in elements inside that DIV are inherited verbatim or should
              > be defined in units of em. They will then vary in line with all
              > changes of the outer em-size.
              > Just think about all the other things, perhaps added later, you
              > might have forgotten: headings, lists, quotes ...

              Good point and forward thinking.
              Now I need to think the same way.

              Thanks,Mike
              www.EpicRoadTrips.us/dad/
            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                Axel Berger wrote:
                > Mike Breiding wrote:
                >
                >> This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
                >> That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.
                >>

                > In that case I suggest you style the font size for DIV.content in
                > your style and then change just and only that in your script.
                I removed:
                var p = d.getElementsByTagName('p');
                Thinking the change would then apply to all of the tags in the div#content.
                But it broke the script.

                I neglected to upload the page with Bob's script:
                http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/central_states_north_trip_june_2-15_1977/index.php
                -mb

                Altered script:
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                  Mike Breiding wrote:
                  >All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.

                  So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
                  built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
                  text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

                  The font resizer widget mania stems from "designer sites" not wanting
                  to give up on their beloved miniscule pixel sized Verdana and at the
                  same time pay lip service to accessibility. You have no need for it.
                  Your text is already accessible. K.I.S.S. ;-)

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                    loro wrote:
                    > You have no need for it.
                    > Your text is already accessible. K.I.S.S. ;-)

                    Exactly. This places us in a bit of a quandry as conscientious
                    designers, I think.
                    On the one hand a script resizer offers a service to people unaware of
                    their own browser's capabilities. It is a nice extra without making
                    anything difficult for those with scripting off, that's all good.
                    On the other hand it reinforces the wrong notion, that the designer is
                    the arbiter of how a page is to be viewed, and it takes people away from
                    learning about browsers, that's all bad.

                    I do not offer any sizers on principle myself, as there's no place for
                    them, when the web is used sensibly. But on the other hand stupid people
                    not knowing the first thing about their tools and not the least bit
                    prepared and able to learn are a huge majority. So catering for the
                    reader as he is and not as I want her to be, one might well go for
                    option number one. It's not my way, but I wouldn't call it wrong.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                      Axel Berger wrote:
                      >On the one hand a script resizer offers a service to people unaware of
                      >their own browser's capabilities

                      I have to disagree. Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't
                      change the text size themselves? A link to an short instruction about
                      how to change text size in their browser is something they would
                      benefit from. On the other hand, it's right there on the browser menu...

                      Lotta
                    • Mike Breiding
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                        loro wrote:
                        > Mike Breiding wrote:
                        >
                        >> All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.
                        >>

                        > So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
                        > built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
                        > text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

                        What can I say - I like gadgets.

                        -mb
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                          Mike Breiding wrote:
                          >What can I say - I like gadgets.

                          Boys and their toys! :-P

                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                            loro wrote:
                            > Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't change the text
                            > size themselves?

                            That's what I say in the next sentence.

                            > A link to an short instruction about how to change text size
                            > in their browser is something they would benefit from.

                            Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
                            to take it. A case in point is the bland look I get when asking
                            people, if they also put a big wad of photocopies of all the
                            previously exchanged letters with every new one, when writing on
                            paper. (I add, that for me this would actually be helpful, it takes
                            me ages to find older paper letters, but with mail it is just one
                            single keystroke.) And the next question, why they make their mails
                            one size smaller than I find comfortable to read, i.e. deliberately
                            make it uncomfortable for me (size=2, the IE default), usually
                            elicits the answer "I didn't write that email, that was the
                            computer".

                            So I stand by what I said: You and I will not do it, but I won't
                            call Mike's solution wrong.

                            [1] Q: How does one indent a parapgraph?
                            A: Press Tab once at the beginning of each line.
                            Q: What is Excel for?
                            A: It's a program for aligning text in columns
                            and for making squared paper.
                          • Mike Breiding
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 1, 2008
                              Axel Berger wrote:
                              > Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
                              > to take it.
                              No one knows more than they want to know.
                              Yes it would be wonderful to be so helpful and add all kinds of
                              instructional links to my pages.
                              But, I think this would be futile for 99% of the viewers.

                              Just two weeks ago I found out one could Ctrl +- to change the font size
                              in FF.
                              But in IE 6 this does not work.

                              Ctrl Mouse in IE 6 to change font size?
                              Try it on this page:
                              http://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe?hl=en&channel=us&s=http://wvrts.org/
                              For me, only the menu tabs change size.
                              In FF all the text changes size.

                              Why not make it simpler by just adding the Jscript instead of confusing
                              people with something like:
                              "If your are using FF, change the text by Ctrl Mouse or Ctrl +-.
                              In IE 6.0 blah, blah
                              In IE 7. o blah, blah"

                              Ad naseum...

                              I know people who work with computers for a living and/or teach PC skills.
                              Some of the them do know even the most fundamental and important things
                              about software/hardware.
                              But who am I to decide what is fundamental and important?