Re: [NTO] Recover Serial Port

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 23, 2008
      Have you tried a batch file with MODE ?

      C:\> MODE COM1:9600,N,8,1,P
      (Which sets 9600 baud, No parity, 8 Data Bits, 1 parity Bit, and XON/XOFF flow control (the default))
      C:\> MODE COM1:4800,N,8,1,P
      (something other than the default)
      C:\> MODE COM1:9600,N,8,1,P
      (back to the default)
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 23, 2008
        fw7oaks wrote:
        > Have you tried a batch file with MODE ?

        Well, I'll say this for it: It does make a difference. The second MODE
        hangs and prevents an ordinary shutdown, so a hard reset is needed with
        scanning 600 GB of disks.

        I believe XP is better at shooting down processes, so perhaps its easier
        there, but it does not seem to help.

        Axel
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 23, 2008
          Sorry about that Axel

          Perhaps one MODE would be enough to release the serial port . . .

          fw

          From: Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...>

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 24, 2008
            fw7oaks wrote:
            > Sorry about that Axel

            Don't be -- this is to expected in trying things out. What I meant
            to say was mainly, that your solution does not work, at least not
            always. In this case I did not edevour to hang the serial port but
            just started a Windows program taking it over and tried to batch to
            take the port away, possibly a more difficult goal to achieve.

            Axel
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 24, 2008
              Hi Ray
              cmd the mode /? in msdos window in XP lets you change settings.
              the other thing what happens if you unplug the serial cable when finished
              ,does the stay as is or reset.
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 24, 2008
                Hi Axel and fw,

                <<Perhaps one MODE would be enough to release the serial port . . .>>

                This approach seems to have merit. The three software applications that
                control the telescope do each have a port configuration screen. Maybe the one
                MODE command followed by a reconfiguration would do the trick. I'm not likely
                to get back to the observatory until next Saturday, therefore, I may not have
                the opportunity to test your idea, but I will do it at the first opportunity.

                Thank you both for the help.

                Ray Shapp
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 24, 2008
                  Hi Dave,

                  <<if you unplug the serial cable when finished ,does the stay as is or reset.

                  Thanks for your reply, however, if unplugging the cable would cause the Com
                  port to be released, the problem would not have come up.

                  Ray Shapp
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 25, 2008
                    Hi
                    You would run proga ,then run the batch file to set the serial port for
                    progb then do the same thing for proga ,would mean two small batch file
                    useing mode but your serial ports would not be a problem ??
                    THANKYOU DAVE M

                    > <<if you unplug the serial cable when finished ,does the stay as is or
                    > reset.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your reply, however, if unplugging the cable would cause the
                    > Com
                    > port to be released, the problem would not have come up.
                    >
                    > Ray Shapp

                  • Mike Breiding
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                      Greetings,
                      I added a script for changing the text size on this page:
                      http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/central_states_north_trip_june_2-15_1977/index.php

                      Two questions:
                      Why does the first click on the + sign decrease the text size?
                      How do I change the script so it only effects a specified target or
                      targets and not all paragraphs?
                      I tried changing the line: var p = document.getElementsByTagName('p');
                      But could not get it right.

                      Here is the script I am using:

                      function changeFontSize(inc)
                      {
                      var p = document.getElementsByTagName('p');
                      for(n=0; n<p.length; n++) {
                      if(p[n].style.fontSize) {
                      var size = parseInt(p[n].style.fontSize.replace("px", ""));
                      } else {
                      var size = 12;
                      }
                      p[n].style.fontSize = size+inc + 'px';
                      }
                      }
                      </script>
                      From:
                      http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/12/allow-site-visitors-to-change-font.html
                    • Bob Janes
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                        Hi Mike,

                        > Why does the first click on the + sign decrease the text size?

                        The first click sets the font-size to 13px, as you previously didn't have a
                        font-size defined (it was 100%) you were seeing the browser default which
                        presumably was something bigger than 13px. To get round this you'll need to
                        set a default font-size of say 12px.

                        > How do I change the script so it only effects a specified target or
                        targets

                        Typically you'd select certain paragraphs in JavaScript by using either id
                        or class attributes. Add a 'class="change_me"' to those you want to change
                        and have the script work on those.

                        Best wishes

                        Bob
                      • Mike Breiding
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                          Bob Janes wrote:
                          > Hi Mike,
                          >> Why does the first click on the + sign decrease the text size?
                          >>

                          > The first click sets the font-size to 13px, as you previously didn't
                          have a
                          > font-size defined (it was 100%) you were seeing the browser default which
                          > presumably was something bigger than 13px. To get round this you'll
                          need to
                          > set a default font-size of say 12px.

                          Hi Bob,
                          All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.
                          As I understand it this is preferable to setting a default size in px
                          and allows the user to the default size.
                          I think I am stating the correctly, not sure.

                          >> How do I change the script so it only effects a specified target or
                          targets

                          >> Typically you'd select certain paragraphs in JavaScript by using
                          either id
                          >> or class attributes. Add a 'class="change_me"' to those you want to
                          change
                          >> and have the script work on those.

                          Do you have any examples of the code needed?
                          I have no javascript experience what so ever.
                          I already have defined #div I can use for targets.
                          Thanks!
                          -Mike
                        • Bob Janes
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                            Hi Mike,

                            This version *should* keep the font size in percent and increase/decrease it
                            by 10% on each click.

                            The extra var line limits the changes to the div id='content'.

                            Not tested but it should work OK - fingers crossed.

                            Bob

                            +++++

                            function changeFontSize(inc) {
                            var d = document.getElementById('content');
                            var p = d.getElementsByTagName('p');
                            for ( n = 0; n < p.length; n++ ) {
                            if ( p[n].style.fontSize ) {
                            var size = parseInt(p[n].style.fontSize.replace("%", ""));
                            } else {
                            var size = 100;
                            }
                            p[n].style.fontSize = size+(inc*10)+'%';
                            }
                            }
                            </script>

                            +++++
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                              Bob Janes wrote:
                              > This version *should* keep the font size in percent and
                              > increase/decrease it by 10% on each click.

                              I'm not doing an example myself here, because my Javascript is just
                              terrible, but why don't you just change the font size of the body
                              element? If all others are derived from that through ems or
                              percentages they shall follow suit.

                              As a purist I do not believe these funtions do any good anyway.
                              These display decisions, font, size, colour, whathaveyou, are under
                              the control of the browser and the reader, not the author. (Anything
                              inside the code are to be considered suggestions.) It would be far
                              better to remind users of the functions of their own programs. I've
                              not yet had any "I can't change the font size on your site." yet,
                              but you're helping to guide user's expectations in totally the wrong
                              direction.

                              I have two scripts for related problems. The first supplies an
                              alternative for the missing max-width in IE<7. The object here are
                              manageable line lengths, so the max-width is defined in ems of the
                              user's chosen size.
                              The second script checks whether the window is wide enough, at the
                              chosen font size, to prevent horizontal scrolling and high enough to
                              take the whole navigation menu. If so the latter is made fixed, so
                              after reading down to the bottom you need not scroll up again to
                              choose your next page.
                              Both are part of the German site http://www.fdp-odenthal.de/ :
                              http://www.fdp-odenthal.de/base/fix-width.js
                              http://www.fdp-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js

                              Axel
                            • Mike Breiding
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                                Bob Janes wrote:
                                > Hi Mike,
                                > This version *should* keep the font size in percent and increase/decrease it
                                > by 10% on each click.
                                >
                                > The extra var line limits the changes to the div id='content'.
                                >
                                > Not tested but it should work OK - fingers crossed.
                                > Bob
                                > +++++

                                > function changeFontSize(inc) {
                                > var d = document.getElementById('content');
                                > var p = d.getElementsByTagName('p');

                                This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
                                That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.
                                I tried to expand on that by adding:

                                var d = document.getElementById('journalbirdlist');
                                var p = d.getElementsByTagName('ol');

                                But it did not work. I need to add 'ul' as well.
                                > for ( n = 0; n < p.length; n++ ) {
                                > if ( p[n].style.fontSize ) {
                                > var size = parseInt(p[n].style.fontSize.replace("%", ""));
                                > } else {
                                > var size = 100;
                                > }
                                > p[n].style.fontSize = size+(inc*10)+'%';

                                Does the last line increase/decrease it by 10% on each click?
                                I changed (inc*10) to (inc*5) in an effort to get a smaller incremental
                                change, but it did not work.
                                What do I need to change that?

                                Thanks for your help with this!
                                It is starting to make some sence to me, but I am not a quick study.
                                -Mike

                                > }
                                > }
                                > </script>
                                >
                                > +++++

                              • Bob Janes
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                                  Hi Axel.

                                  Axel Berger <> wrote:
                                  > why don't you just change the font size of the body element?

                                  Broadly I agree with you though in this case Mike specifically said that he
                                  wanted to increase the size of certain elements.

                                  Best wishes

                                  Bob
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                                    Mike Breiding wrote:
                                    > This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
                                    > That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.

                                    In that case I suggest you style the font size for DIV.content in
                                    your style and then change just and only that in your script. Font
                                    sizes in elements inside that DIV are inherited verbatim or should
                                    be defined in units of em. They will then vary in line with all
                                    changes of the outer em-size.
                                    Just think about all the other things, perhaps added later, you
                                    might have forgotten: headings, lists, quotes ...

                                    Axel
                                  • Mike Breiding
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                                      Axel Berger wrote:
                                      > Mike Breiding wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
                                      >> That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.
                                      >>

                                      > In that case I suggest you style the font size for DIV.content in
                                      > your style and then change just and only that in your script. Font
                                      > sizes in elements inside that DIV are inherited verbatim or should
                                      > be defined in units of em. They will then vary in line with all
                                      > changes of the outer em-size.
                                      > Just think about all the other things, perhaps added later, you
                                      > might have forgotten: headings, lists, quotes ...

                                      Good point and forward thinking.
                                      Now I need to think the same way.

                                      Thanks,Mike
                                      www.EpicRoadTrips.us/dad/
                                    • Mike Breiding
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                                        Axel Berger wrote:
                                        > Mike Breiding wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> This is selecting *only* paragraphs in the the DIV "content".
                                        >> That is what I was looking for. But I forgot about the lists.
                                        >>

                                        > In that case I suggest you style the font size for DIV.content in
                                        > your style and then change just and only that in your script.
                                        I removed:
                                        var p = d.getElementsByTagName('p');
                                        Thinking the change would then apply to all of the tags in the div#content.
                                        But it broke the script.

                                        I neglected to upload the page with Bob's script:
                                        http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/central_states_north_trip_june_2-15_1977/index.php
                                        -mb

                                        Altered script:
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                                          Mike Breiding wrote:
                                          >All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.

                                          So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
                                          built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
                                          text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

                                          The font resizer widget mania stems from "designer sites" not wanting
                                          to give up on their beloved miniscule pixel sized Verdana and at the
                                          same time pay lip service to accessibility. You have no need for it.
                                          Your text is already accessible. K.I.S.S. ;-)

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                                            loro wrote:
                                            > You have no need for it.
                                            > Your text is already accessible. K.I.S.S. ;-)

                                            Exactly. This places us in a bit of a quandry as conscientious
                                            designers, I think.
                                            On the one hand a script resizer offers a service to people unaware of
                                            their own browser's capabilities. It is a nice extra without making
                                            anything difficult for those with scripting off, that's all good.
                                            On the other hand it reinforces the wrong notion, that the designer is
                                            the arbiter of how a page is to be viewed, and it takes people away from
                                            learning about browsers, that's all bad.

                                            I do not offer any sizers on principle myself, as there's no place for
                                            them, when the web is used sensibly. But on the other hand stupid people
                                            not knowing the first thing about their tools and not the least bit
                                            prepared and able to learn are a huge majority. So catering for the
                                            reader as he is and not as I want her to be, one might well go for
                                            option number one. It's not my way, but I wouldn't call it wrong.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 30, 2008
                                              Axel Berger wrote:
                                              >On the one hand a script resizer offers a service to people unaware of
                                              >their own browser's capabilities

                                              I have to disagree. Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't
                                              change the text size themselves? A link to an short instruction about
                                              how to change text size in their browser is something they would
                                              benefit from. On the other hand, it's right there on the browser menu...

                                              Lotta
                                            • Mike Breiding
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                                                loro wrote:
                                                > Mike Breiding wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> All my pages use a font size definition of 100% in the CSS.
                                                >>

                                                > So what's the point of a text resizer? Every browser has that feature
                                                > built in. You don't use a fixed font size so IE's inability to resize
                                                > text set in points or pixels doesn't come into play.

                                                What can I say - I like gadgets.

                                                -mb
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                                                  Mike Breiding wrote:
                                                  >What can I say - I like gadgets.

                                                  Boys and their toys! :-P

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 31, 2008
                                                    loro wrote:
                                                    > Doesn't a widget just confirm that they can't change the text
                                                    > size themselves?

                                                    That's what I say in the next sentence.

                                                    > A link to an short instruction about how to change text size
                                                    > in their browser is something they would benefit from.

                                                    Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
                                                    to take it. A case in point is the bland look I get when asking
                                                    people, if they also put a big wad of photocopies of all the
                                                    previously exchanged letters with every new one, when writing on
                                                    paper. (I add, that for me this would actually be helpful, it takes
                                                    me ages to find older paper letters, but with mail it is just one
                                                    single keystroke.) And the next question, why they make their mails
                                                    one size smaller than I find comfortable to read, i.e. deliberately
                                                    make it uncomfortable for me (size=2, the IE default), usually
                                                    elicits the answer "I didn't write that email, that was the
                                                    computer".

                                                    So I stand by what I said: You and I will not do it, but I won't
                                                    call Mike's solution wrong.

                                                    [1] Q: How does one indent a parapgraph?
                                                    A: Press Tab once at the beginning of each line.
                                                    Q: What is Excel for?
                                                    A: It's a program for aligning text in columns
                                                    and for making squared paper.
                                                  • Mike Breiding
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Sep 1, 2008
                                                      Axel Berger wrote:
                                                      > Many people would benefit from instruction,[1] but few are willing
                                                      > to take it.
                                                      No one knows more than they want to know.
                                                      Yes it would be wonderful to be so helpful and add all kinds of
                                                      instructional links to my pages.
                                                      But, I think this would be futile for 99% of the viewers.

                                                      Just two weeks ago I found out one could Ctrl +- to change the font size
                                                      in FF.
                                                      But in IE 6 this does not work.

                                                      Ctrl Mouse in IE 6 to change font size?
                                                      Try it on this page:
                                                      http://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk-rel/afe?hl=en&channel=us&s=http://wvrts.org/
                                                      For me, only the menu tabs change size.
                                                      In FF all the text changes size.

                                                      Why not make it simpler by just adding the Jscript instead of confusing
                                                      people with something like:
                                                      "If your are using FF, change the text by Ctrl Mouse or Ctrl +-.
                                                      In IE 6.0 blah, blah
                                                      In IE 7. o blah, blah"

                                                      Ad naseum...

                                                      I know people who work with computers for a living and/or teach PC skills.
                                                      Some of the them do know even the most fundamental and important things
                                                      about software/hardware.
                                                      But who am I to decide what is fundamental and important?