Capture Menus to Text File?

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2008
      I remember some program I think I was introduced to on one of the
      NoteTab list 8 or 9 years ago. I have a need for it now, but do not
      remember what it was called.

      The program would capture all the menus in a program and they could be
      saved to a text file. It put an ampersand in front of the letters that
      activated the menu with the CTRL key.

      For example from NoteTab, it was something like this.:

      &File Menu
      &New
      &Open
      etc.

      I do not think it was Resource Hacker, as it only works on exes and not
      a runtime dependent language. I know, I just tested it. (I'm hoping that
      I am not thinking of the wrong program used with resource hacker. After
      all it's been a few years.)

      The Resource Hacker site says it is no longer developed and points to
      another program, but it does not do what I need either.

      I suspect I am thinking of another program that gave me the menus
      instead of the program I need it for.

      I recall a program that you drag a target over the menu/program, and it
      extracts the text.

      If there is some other program/utility that can do this, please let me know.

      --
      Larry Hamilton
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
        Hi Larry
        I haven't currently got it on my system but I think this is probably the
        one your are after. Thanks for reminding me - I had it pre system crash
        but hadn't got around to finding it again.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
          Alec Burgess wrote:
          > "WinDowse shows: text, caption, resource ID, ... <SNIP> ...
          Followup ... Larry, I haven't found the menu text yet (it may be there.
          It seems to have every other bit of info under the sun. I'm not sure, I
          think there might also be a tool that comes with AutoHotKey and maybe
          another that comes with PowerPro. - both free - also neither currently
          on my system :-(

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hamilton <lmh@...> wrote:

            > I remember some program I think I was introduced to on one of the
            > NoteTab list 8 or 9 years ago. I have a need for it now, but do not
            > remember what it was called.
            >
            > The program would capture all the menus in a program and they
            > could be saved to a text file. It put an ampersand in front of
            > the letters that activated the menu with the CTRL key.
            > For example from NoteTab, it was something like this.:
            >
            > &File Menu
            > &New
            > &Open
            > etc.

            I can get that for NotePAD with CopyText
            <http://www10.pair.com/vsap/FreeSoft.html> whereas for NoteTAB it only
            gets the Menu names across the top. For the drop down portion, it is
            only getting tab characters for NoteTAB. Probably because there are
            non-text icons in there.

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • lm_hamilton
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:
              > I can get that for NotePAD with CopyText
              > <http://www10.pair.com/vsap/FreeSoft.html> whereas for NoteTAB it only
              > gets the Menu names across the top. For the drop down portion, it is
              > only getting tab characters for NoteTAB. Probably because there are
              > non-text icons in there.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Sheri

              Sheri,

              Thanks!

              This looks like the one I remember, but have not had time to get it
              working.

              Been a long day, time to go home....

              Larry
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2008
                Hi Sheri and Larry,

                There is a setting called "Show Menu Icons" in Options that you can turn
                off. Then I'm sure the utility can read all menu items.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/