Re: Re: [NTO] About Backup program

  • Stan Blazejewski
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 28 2:43 AM
      Just a note ....

      If you own a Maxtor or Seagate drive 'anywhere' in your system, you can get
      Acronis true Image for free (no registration/no time limit). It goes under the
      name of Maxblast (powered by Acronis) on the Seagate/Maxtor web site.

      www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 28 4:31 AM
        Stan Blazejewski wrote:
        > It goes under the name of Maxblast (powered by Acronis) on
        > the Seagate/Maxtor web site.

        It even works with no Maxtor drive at all. I use it for another
        purpose: Run from floppy disk it wites a root sector with a BIOS
        enhancement, so older computers can recognize and boot from disks
        with more than 512 MB, 8 GB, or 32 GB. Very nice, as I use many
        mainnoards or notebooks that still have these limits.

        Axel
      • Stan Blazejewski
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 28 6:47 AM
          G'day Axel,

          I think you may be mixing up with the old Maxblast which installs a Dynamic
          Drive Overlay & does exactly what you mention.
          The current Maxblast has an executable over 12 meg so will 'just' miss out on
          fitting on a floppy. It images (backup) a drive, clones a drive (for migrating
          to a new drive) & has utilities for partitioning a new drive. You can't backup
          individual files or directories but once imaged, the image can be 'mounted' &
          treated as another drive on your system to copy from (or to if you wish). It is
          interesting to note that it is called 'Maxblast 5' but the properties of the
          Maxblast executable show version 10.0.0.5007 so I assume it is rebadged Acronis
          True Image version 10.

          On a side note, I found the Dynamic Drive Overlay a bugger to remove once
          installed. I once set up a 80G drive on a Win98 setup (ages ago) but when I
          wanted to install WinXP on it, no matter how it was formatted the Dynamic Drive
          Overlay welcome screen would still pop up on bootup. I eventually fixed it with
          a utility that wrote 0's to every sector on the drive before formatting
          ......... took ages.

          Also, if you look on the bottom of the Maxblast download page you get the
          impression that using Dynamic Drive Overlay is no longer supported.

          On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:31:03 +0200, you wrote:

          >Stan Blazejewski wrote:
          >> It goes under the name of Maxblast (powered by Acronis) on
          >> the Seagate/Maxtor web site.
          >
          >It even works with no Maxtor drive at all. I use it for another
          >purpose: Run from floppy disk it wites a root sector with a BIOS
          >enhancement, so older computers can recognize and boot from disks
          >with more than 512 MB, 8 GB, or 32 GB. Very nice, as I use many
          >mainnoards or notebooks that still have these limits.
          >
          >Axel

          www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 28 7:35 AM
            Couldn't you burn to CD and boot from that? I have always worked Acronis from a CD boot disk.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 28 7:47 AM
              Stan Blazejewski wrote:
              > I think you may be mixing up with the old Maxblast which
              > installs a Dynamic Drive Overlay & does exactly what you mention.

              Obviously. It can also mirror a currently used drive to a newly
              partioned new one.

              > On a side note, I found the Dynamic Drive Overlay a bugger
              > to remove once installed.

              It's quite easy if you do it right (that I remember), but I too
              always forget how and take a long time. Was it fdisk /mbr?

              Axel
            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 28 11:54 AM
                Axel Berger wrote:
                > It's quite easy if you do it right (that I remember), but I too
                > always forget how and take a long time. Was it fdisk /mbr?
                > Axel
                Axel,
                The MBR switch writes a new Master Boot Record.
                -Mike
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 28 12:49 PM
                  Mike Breiding wrote:
                  > The MBR switch writes a new Master Boot Record.

                  Exactly. That's a bit of code read to memory from sector 0 and
                  executed as a bootstrap. Unless I'm wrong, that's where Maxblast
                  hides its BIOS enhancement. But as I said, I always forget and have
                  to poke around every time.

                  Axel
                • Stan
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 29 3:01 AM
                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Stan Blazejewski wrote:
                    > > I think you may be mixing up with the old Maxblast which
                    > > installs a Dynamic Drive Overlay & does exactly what you mention.
                    >
                    > Obviously. It can also mirror a currently used drive to a newly
                    > partioned new one.

                    I get the impression that there must be a 'few' incarnations of
                    Maxblast. I have 2 versions, the (very) old one that did nothing
                    but install a Dynamic Drive Overlay & my current one which does all
                    sorts of things 'except' install a DDO.

                    > > On a side note, I found the Dynamic Drive Overlay a bugger
                    > > to remove once installed.
                    >
                    > It's quite easy if you do it right (that I remember), but I too
                    > always forget how and take a long time. Was it fdisk /mbr?

                    It's been a while but fdisk /mbr does ring a bell so I'm pretty sure
                    I tried that.