Re: [NTO] About Backup program

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 24, 2008
      Greetings,
      I use the freeware version of 2BrightSparks SyncBack.
      I find it serves my puposed of backing up from one drive to another
      quite well.
      http://www.2brightsparks.com/
      -Mike

      M.M. wrote:
      > Hello,
      > While looking for a decent backup program, I would like to have some advise
      > from you about two "final candidates": "*Acronis true image*"
      > and "*Genie backup manager pro*".
      > I read some reviews about these two, both are praised, but I am afraid some
      > of the reviews are more 'commercial', so I would like to have it from
      > experienced people.
      > Many thanks in advance
      > Mordechai

    • Stan Blazejewski
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
        Just a note ....

        If you own a Maxtor or Seagate drive 'anywhere' in your system, you can get
        Acronis true Image for free (no registration/no time limit). It goes under the
        name of Maxblast (powered by Acronis) on the Seagate/Maxtor web site.

        www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
          Stan Blazejewski wrote:
          > It goes under the name of Maxblast (powered by Acronis) on
          > the Seagate/Maxtor web site.

          It even works with no Maxtor drive at all. I use it for another
          purpose: Run from floppy disk it wites a root sector with a BIOS
          enhancement, so older computers can recognize and boot from disks
          with more than 512 MB, 8 GB, or 32 GB. Very nice, as I use many
          mainnoards or notebooks that still have these limits.

          Axel
        • Stan Blazejewski
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
            G'day Axel,

            I think you may be mixing up with the old Maxblast which installs a Dynamic
            Drive Overlay & does exactly what you mention.
            The current Maxblast has an executable over 12 meg so will 'just' miss out on
            fitting on a floppy. It images (backup) a drive, clones a drive (for migrating
            to a new drive) & has utilities for partitioning a new drive. You can't backup
            individual files or directories but once imaged, the image can be 'mounted' &
            treated as another drive on your system to copy from (or to if you wish). It is
            interesting to note that it is called 'Maxblast 5' but the properties of the
            Maxblast executable show version 10.0.0.5007 so I assume it is rebadged Acronis
            True Image version 10.

            On a side note, I found the Dynamic Drive Overlay a bugger to remove once
            installed. I once set up a 80G drive on a Win98 setup (ages ago) but when I
            wanted to install WinXP on it, no matter how it was formatted the Dynamic Drive
            Overlay welcome screen would still pop up on bootup. I eventually fixed it with
            a utility that wrote 0's to every sector on the drive before formatting
            ......... took ages.

            Also, if you look on the bottom of the Maxblast download page you get the
            impression that using Dynamic Drive Overlay is no longer supported.

            On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:31:03 +0200, you wrote:

            >Stan Blazejewski wrote:
            >> It goes under the name of Maxblast (powered by Acronis) on
            >> the Seagate/Maxtor web site.
            >
            >It even works with no Maxtor drive at all. I use it for another
            >purpose: Run from floppy disk it wites a root sector with a BIOS
            >enhancement, so older computers can recognize and boot from disks
            >with more than 512 MB, 8 GB, or 32 GB. Very nice, as I use many
            >mainnoards or notebooks that still have these limits.
            >
            >Axel

            www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
              Couldn't you burn to CD and boot from that? I have always worked Acronis from a CD boot disk.

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                Stan Blazejewski wrote:
                > I think you may be mixing up with the old Maxblast which
                > installs a Dynamic Drive Overlay & does exactly what you mention.

                Obviously. It can also mirror a currently used drive to a newly
                partioned new one.

                > On a side note, I found the Dynamic Drive Overlay a bugger
                > to remove once installed.

                It's quite easy if you do it right (that I remember), but I too
                always forget how and take a long time. Was it fdisk /mbr?

                Axel
              • Mike Breiding
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  > It's quite easy if you do it right (that I remember), but I too
                  > always forget how and take a long time. Was it fdisk /mbr?
                  > Axel
                  Axel,
                  The MBR switch writes a new Master Boot Record.
                  -Mike
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                    Mike Breiding wrote:
                    > The MBR switch writes a new Master Boot Record.

                    Exactly. That's a bit of code read to memory from sector 0 and
                    executed as a bootstrap. Unless I'm wrong, that's where Maxblast
                    hides its BIOS enhancement. But as I said, I always forget and have
                    to poke around every time.

                    Axel
                  • Stan
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 29, 2008
                      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Stan Blazejewski wrote:
                      > > I think you may be mixing up with the old Maxblast which
                      > > installs a Dynamic Drive Overlay & does exactly what you mention.
                      >
                      > Obviously. It can also mirror a currently used drive to a newly
                      > partioned new one.

                      I get the impression that there must be a 'few' incarnations of
                      Maxblast. I have 2 versions, the (very) old one that did nothing
                      but install a Dynamic Drive Overlay & my current one which does all
                      sorts of things 'except' install a DDO.

                      > > On a side note, I found the Dynamic Drive Overlay a bugger
                      > > to remove once installed.
                      >
                      > It's quite easy if you do it right (that I remember), but I too
                      > always forget how and take a long time. Was it fdisk /mbr?

                      It's been a while but fdisk /mbr does ring a bell so I'm pretty sure
                      I tried that.