About Backup program

  • M.M.
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
      Hello,
      While looking for a decent backup program, I would like to have some advise
      from you about two "final candidates": "*Acronis true image*"
      and "*Genie backup manager pro*".
      I read some reviews about these two, both are praised, but I am afraid some
      of the reviews are more 'commercial', so I would like to have it from
      experienced people.
      Many thanks in advance
      Mordechai

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
        Have never heard of Genie but started using Acronis many years ago. It worked perfectly through multiple image restores when I was using Windows. It creates Windows images quickly but it takes a very long time to create an image of the Ubuntu ext3 partitions so I haven't used it much since switching OS. Might be because I'm still using Acronis TI 8 - never upgraded.

        > While looking for a decent backup program, I would like to
        > have some advise
        > from you about two "final candidates":
        > "*Acronis true image*"
        > and "*Genie backup manager pro*".
        > I read some reviews about these two, both are praised, but
        > I am afraid some
        > of the reviews are more 'commercial', so I would
        > like to have it from
        > experienced people.
        > Many thanks in advance
        > Mordechai

      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
          M.M. wrote:

          > Hello,
          > While looking for a decent backup program, I would like to have some advise
          > from you about two "final candidates": "*Acronis true image*"
          > and "*Genie backup manager pro*".

          The programs you are considering as alternatives are *very* different,
          although you can say of both that they make backups.

          Acronis and the like make images of whole drives (= partitions). You
          cannot use them for anything else.

          Genie is a general backup program.

          I myself have Terabyte imaging software. I always use the DOS version,
          which comes, bundled together with TB Image for Linux, as an extra with
          TB Image for Windows, The bundled ones are standalone and are booted
          from a CD-ROM.
          I never use the actual Image for Windows itself, but I do not mean to
          imply that others can make good use of the Windows version.

          You can do a lot more with imaging software than just backing up a
          drive, e.g. you can put a customized version of Windows onto any number
          of drives, or rather PCs, in a network.

          For general backup for Windows I use GoodSync, that you can use to
          backup and to synchronize.

          There are several good alternatives for both, but these are the two I am
          very happy with.

          Cheers,
          Gerard

          --
          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
            Hi sister,

            On 23 Jul 08 20:05 sisterscape <sisterscape@...> said:
            > started using Acronis many years ago. It worked perfectly through
            > multiple image restores when I was using Windows.

            I always understod that disk image software was more designed for
            creating one-off snapshots of a disk, from boot sector up and should
            not be considered a "backup" tool.

            I understood that disk imaging software was useful for, for example,
            creating a standard installation disk ready for multiple installs of
            new machines to a company standard and that, if compressed as disk
            images, it becomes difficult to access individual documents/files from
            that image.

            This being the case, disk imaging software was not ideal for
            day-to-day running backup of changed document files and software
            customisation, etc.

            Should we be asking what kind of issue Mordechai is trying to protect
            against, eg total loss of the disk, or corruption of an individual
            file?

            Greg
          • John Mitchell
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
              Mordechai

              Acronis has a good reputation. Personally, I use and recommend Image for
              Windows / Image for DOS. Have a look at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com
              for details. For general file and folder backups, some suggestions
              are...

              - Directory Opus SYNCH capability. (http://www.gpsoft.com.au)
              - Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com)
              - Second Copy (http://www.centered.com)

              Regards, John Mitchell

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
                Acronis can image the entire disk, individual partitions and in the newer versions, I believe folders depending how you set it up.

                I always created my images of the entire hard drive via the Acronis boot disk to a second internal or external hard drive. When I 'restored' it was the of the entire disk.

                There is an option to mount a disk image and from there browse via a file browser that allows retrieval of individual files. Unfortunately, no ext3 file browsing capabilities with TI 8. I believe that later versions do allow for that.

                I found Acronis rather daunting to figure out even though there is a GUI. The manuals for later versions had me glaze over - one reason I never upgraded. That being said . . . the effort was well worth it. Acronis saved my bacon on several occasions - back up and running in minutes.

                sister

                > > started using Acronis many years ago. It worked
                > perfectly through
                > > multiple image restores when I was using Windows.
                >
                > I always understod that disk image software was more
                > designed for
                > creating one-off snapshots of a disk, from boot sector up
                > and should
                > not be considered a "backup" tool.
                >
                > I understood that disk imaging software was useful for, for
                > example,
                > creating a standard installation disk ready for multiple
                > installs of
                > new machines to a company standard and that, if compressed
                > as disk
                > images, it becomes difficult to access individual
                > documents/files from
                > that image.
                >
                > This being the case, disk imaging software was not ideal
                > for
                > day-to-day running backup of changed document files and
                > software
                > customisation, etc.
                >
                > Should we be asking what kind of issue Mordechai is trying
                > to protect
                > against, eg total loss of the disk, or corruption of an
                > individual
                > file?
                >
                > Greg

              • M.M.
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
                  Hello,
                  Thanks to you all.
                  I see that something was missing in my question - sorry - well,
                  the main purpose I look for a backup program is to backup personal data
                  such as documents (letters, e-mail etc.), photografs, movie clips,
                  address and telephone book, bank account.
                  And to have in mind a whole system backup in case of disk crash.
                  Thanks again
                  Mordechai

                  On 7/23/08, John Mitchell <notetab@...> wrote:

                  > Mordechai
                  >
                  > Acronis has a good reputation. Personally, I use and recommend Image for
                  > Windows / Image for DOS. Have a look at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com
                  > for details. For general file and folder backups, some suggestions
                  > are...
                  >
                  > - Directory Opus SYNCH capability. (http://www.gpsoft.com.au)
                  > - Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com)
                  > - Second Copy (http://www.centered.com)
                  >
                  > Regards, John Mitchell

                • LaurieK
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
                    Better yet, check out this freebie. its saved me MANY TIMES.. I depend on it
                    every day as I leave work. I backup any edited files that day to my pen
                    drive and use that to update my pc when I get home so if I need to work from
                    home, I always have current data.

                    Everyday Auto Backup (1.02)

                    http://www.backupsoft.net

                    IT'S A LIFESAVER!

                    Laurie

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
                      Just filtering through this thread.. It sounds like you need a simple user
                      friendly app rather than a disk imaging type program, right?

                      Again, Everyday Auto Backup can be set for specific times of the day or
                      every day, week, month, every Monday, or Tuesday, etc.

                      It might be just what you need. simplicity is the key J

                      Ok, I'm shupping now J

                      <mailto:notetab%40lists.joggernet.com> > wrote:

                      > Mordechai
                      >
                      > Acronis has a good reputation. Personally, I use and recommend Image for
                      > Windows / Image for DOS. Have a look at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com
                      > for details. For general file and folder backups, some suggestions
                      > are...
                      >
                      > - Directory Opus SYNCH capability. (http://www.gpsoft.com.au)
                      > - Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com)
                      > - Second Copy (http://www.centered.com)
                      >
                      > Regards, John Mitchell

                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
                        M.M. wrote:
                        > Hello,
                        > While looking for a decent backup program, I would like to have some
                        advise
                        > from you about two "final candidates": "*Acronis true image*"
                        > and "*Genie backup manager pro*".
                        > I read some reviews about these two, both are praised, but I am
                        afraid some
                        > of the reviews are more 'commercial', so I would like to have it from
                        > experienced people.
                        > Many thanks in advance
                        > Mordechai

                        Mordechai,

                        You might try SyncBack free version, several features. This is the link.
                        Good Luck.

                        http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/software/SyncBack_Setup.zip
                        ºvº SL_205 created_2008.07.23_19.41.08

                        Potential bumper sticker
                        • I majored in liberal arts. Will that be for here or to go?
                        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
                      • sisterscape
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
                          For file backup, Second Copy <http://www.centered.com/> is another excellent option. I used it for many years with Windows in addition to Acronis.

                          > I see that something was missing in my question - sorry -
                          > well,
                          > the main purpose I look for a backup program is to backup
                          > personal data
                          > such as documents (letters, e-mail etc.), photografs, movie
                          > clips,
                          > address and telephone book, bank account.
                          > And to have in mind a whole system backup in case of disk
                          > crash.
                          > Thanks again
                          > Mordechai

                        • Alan C
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 23, 2008
                            PS there's free, open source software to do this but (for the ones I know
                            about anyways) it's a bit more work (save partition table to a file, disk
                            image each partition at a time) rather than an entire HD at once.

                            systemrescuecd partimage (for starters if interested)

                            Hi. I have and use Acronis T.I. Home edition version 10.0. It blurs the
                            line between disk image and backup software -- can, from backup, both access
                            your files and do incremental backups as well as restore the disk image if
                            you desire to do so.

                            I've been with Acronis True Image (they need to change what they call it for
                            it's long since been much more than "just an imaging software") upwards of
                            several years now, upgraded multiple times since somewhere near their
                            version 8.0

                            10.0 does Linux ext3 and ext2 partitions very fast for me (Slackware 12.0
                            and Debian 4.0) as fast as it does Windows for me (perhaps the Acronis 8.0
                            or a different Linux file sys slows it on 8.0?) does not support, will not
                            work with LVM on Linux, I found that out on Fedora Linux distro.

                            I use it for disk image [full backup], shoot my image across my network,
                            thus the said image stores on another, a networked PC which this latter PC
                            happens to be a Linux box running a Samba server.

                            I've not tried it for files . . but . . Once you make an initial disk
                            image [full backup archive -- read on!], you then can

                            on the next go around, opt (if you want) to add what's changed (incremental)
                            right onto the former image.

                            You can get at (access, copy, etc.) all of your files that are inside the
                            disk image.

                            I think supports USB HD -- I know it supports a dedicated partition on one
                            huge HD if you only have one HD -- dunno how good its support for the next
                            but it does support doing full (or maybe/maybe_not the incremental) backup
                            directly to a DVD disk(s).

                            The line be a bit if not more so blurred nowadays between "backup software"
                            versus "disk imaging" software -- my mentioned version of Acronis is both,
                            all in one -- though I've not used it for incremental (after the initial so
                            called full backup which is a disk image) nor have I accessed files from the
                            disk image which they also sometime refer to as a "backup archive". Thus
                            the "blur" ie disk image, full backup, backup archive <- all one and the
                            same vis a vis Acronis. Incremental merely adds what has changed onto the
                            "backup archive".

                            Acronis tried few times to sell me upgrade to 11.0 has been out for a while
                            now (yet even more features?). With me and my use, it can't get any better
                            than what 10.0 does for me (I've not *yet* upgraded to 11.0). Alan.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 24, 2008
                              "M.M." wrote:
                              > looking for a decent backup program,

                              Not a direct answer to your question, but this is how I do it:
                              I don't back up my whole 400 GB disk but only the three important
                              partitions of about 11 GB, though I do keep distributed copies of
                              all important data, e.g. 120 GB of recorded radio plays.

                              On an extra disk not normally connected there is a backup folder
                              containing folders C,E, and F. I synchronize those partitions into
                              them using Totalcommander. The advantage of syncing is, that only
                              changed files get copied, important when backing up the notebook
                              over a WLAN.

                              Then there are two possibilities:
                              a) Compress the whole backup folder and keep several generations of
                              those ZIPs.
                              b) Copy the whole backup folder. With several generations of folders
                              you can file-compare them pairwise and delete all those that are
                              equal in the older one. You can then go back a long way with a
                              minimum of storage.
                              I don't need any extra software besides Winzip and Totalcommander

                              One important hint:
                              My system partition is E:. I always run two drives with primary
                              partitions, so E: is the first extended partition on the first
                              drive. You can't write into the system partition in a running
                              windows and possibly windows won't run. DOS can't copy long file
                              names. What to do?
                              I connect a third drive whose primary partitons carries a mirror of
                              a working system partition. No those three primary partitions get
                              mapped as C, D, E and my real system partition becomes F, so I can
                              wipe it if needed and write my newest backup.

                              Axel
                            • Chris Laarman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 24, 2008
                                M.M. (m.mordechai@...), Wednesday, July 23, 2008 8:12 PM

                                > While looking for a decent backup program, I would like to have some
                                > advise from you about two "final candidates": "*Acronis true image*"
                                > and "*Genie backup manager pro*".
                                > I read some reviews about these two, both are praised, but I am
                                > afraid some of the reviews are more 'commercial', so I would like to
                                > have it from experienced people.

                                I used to know people who are fond of Acronis, and I have myself extended
                                the number of Genie licenses upon upgrading to v8 to cover my three
                                computers.

                                This thread has already mentioned disk images and file-based backup. I tend
                                to do them alternatingly. (Somewhat like someone else might perform
                                incremental backups and from time to time a full one.) I may have delevoped
                                a slight preference for images - if I can explore that image and retrieve
                                individual files from it. Otherwise I prefer file-based. But it's 51:49.

                                For the images I happen to use the Hard Disk Manager Professional by
                                Paragon, but the backup module is also separately available. It can omit
                                empty clusters and "useless" files like pagefile.sys from the image.
                                I think that Partition Magic has (or at least had) a similar companion.

                                Genie Backup Manager Pro appeals to me in that it lets you perform backups
                                either by the file (or directory) or by user profile, and it has some
                                scripting features (that I haven't used yet).
                                Judging from your later message this may be what you want.

                                I also use the Backup component of the Nero burning suite for file-based
                                backup, and also on one computer GRBackPro. The latter zips the files by the
                                directory, which sometimes appeals and sometimes doesn't. I can easily
                                browse the archives with anything that can read ZIP files (with password
                                applied).
                                This approach may be convenient or not. At least the file format is
                                independent of the program.

                                And finally I extensively use an archiver, in my caseWinRAR, for storing
                                incidental groups of files.

                                So it depends...

                                --
                                Chris Laarman
                              • Mike Breiding
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 24, 2008
                                  Greetings,
                                  I use the freeware version of 2BrightSparks SyncBack.
                                  I find it serves my puposed of backing up from one drive to another
                                  quite well.
                                  http://www.2brightsparks.com/
                                  -Mike

                                  M.M. wrote:
                                  > Hello,
                                  > While looking for a decent backup program, I would like to have some advise
                                  > from you about two "final candidates": "*Acronis true image*"
                                  > and "*Genie backup manager pro*".
                                  > I read some reviews about these two, both are praised, but I am afraid some
                                  > of the reviews are more 'commercial', so I would like to have it from
                                  > experienced people.
                                  > Many thanks in advance
                                  > Mordechai

                                • Stan Blazejewski
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                                    Just a note ....

                                    If you own a Maxtor or Seagate drive 'anywhere' in your system, you can get
                                    Acronis true Image for free (no registration/no time limit). It goes under the
                                    name of Maxblast (powered by Acronis) on the Seagate/Maxtor web site.

                                    www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                                      Stan Blazejewski wrote:
                                      > It goes under the name of Maxblast (powered by Acronis) on
                                      > the Seagate/Maxtor web site.

                                      It even works with no Maxtor drive at all. I use it for another
                                      purpose: Run from floppy disk it wites a root sector with a BIOS
                                      enhancement, so older computers can recognize and boot from disks
                                      with more than 512 MB, 8 GB, or 32 GB. Very nice, as I use many
                                      mainnoards or notebooks that still have these limits.

                                      Axel
                                    • Stan Blazejewski
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                                        G'day Axel,

                                        I think you may be mixing up with the old Maxblast which installs a Dynamic
                                        Drive Overlay & does exactly what you mention.
                                        The current Maxblast has an executable over 12 meg so will 'just' miss out on
                                        fitting on a floppy. It images (backup) a drive, clones a drive (for migrating
                                        to a new drive) & has utilities for partitioning a new drive. You can't backup
                                        individual files or directories but once imaged, the image can be 'mounted' &
                                        treated as another drive on your system to copy from (or to if you wish). It is
                                        interesting to note that it is called 'Maxblast 5' but the properties of the
                                        Maxblast executable show version 10.0.0.5007 so I assume it is rebadged Acronis
                                        True Image version 10.

                                        On a side note, I found the Dynamic Drive Overlay a bugger to remove once
                                        installed. I once set up a 80G drive on a Win98 setup (ages ago) but when I
                                        wanted to install WinXP on it, no matter how it was formatted the Dynamic Drive
                                        Overlay welcome screen would still pop up on bootup. I eventually fixed it with
                                        a utility that wrote 0's to every sector on the drive before formatting
                                        ......... took ages.

                                        Also, if you look on the bottom of the Maxblast download page you get the
                                        impression that using Dynamic Drive Overlay is no longer supported.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                                          Couldn't you burn to CD and boot from that? I have always worked Acronis from a CD boot disk.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                                            Stan Blazejewski wrote:
                                            > I think you may be mixing up with the old Maxblast which
                                            > installs a Dynamic Drive Overlay & does exactly what you mention.

                                            Obviously. It can also mirror a currently used drive to a newly
                                            partioned new one.

                                            > On a side note, I found the Dynamic Drive Overlay a bugger
                                            > to remove once installed.

                                            It's quite easy if you do it right (that I remember), but I too
                                            always forget how and take a long time. Was it fdisk /mbr?

                                            Axel
                                          • Mike Breiding
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                                              Axel Berger wrote:
                                              > It's quite easy if you do it right (that I remember), but I too
                                              > always forget how and take a long time. Was it fdisk /mbr?
                                              > Axel
                                              Axel,
                                              The MBR switch writes a new Master Boot Record.
                                              -Mike
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 28, 2008
                                                Mike Breiding wrote:
                                                > The MBR switch writes a new Master Boot Record.

                                                Exactly. That's a bit of code read to memory from sector 0 and
                                                executed as a bootstrap. Unless I'm wrong, that's where Maxblast
                                                hides its BIOS enhancement. But as I said, I always forget and have
                                                to poke around every time.

                                                Axel
                                              • Stan
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 29, 2008
                                                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Stan Blazejewski wrote:
                                                  > > I think you may be mixing up with the old Maxblast which
                                                  > > installs a Dynamic Drive Overlay & does exactly what you mention.
                                                  >
                                                  > Obviously. It can also mirror a currently used drive to a newly
                                                  > partioned new one.

                                                  I get the impression that there must be a 'few' incarnations of
                                                  Maxblast. I have 2 versions, the (very) old one that did nothing
                                                  but install a Dynamic Drive Overlay & my current one which does all
                                                  sorts of things 'except' install a DDO.

                                                  > > On a side note, I found the Dynamic Drive Overlay a bugger
                                                  > > to remove once installed.
                                                  >
                                                  > It's quite easy if you do it right (that I remember), but I too
                                                  > always forget how and take a long time. Was it fdisk /mbr?

                                                  It's been a while but fdisk /mbr does ring a bell so I'm pretty sure
                                                  I tried that.