Re: [Clip] Comparison Tools

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2008
      Alec Burgess wrote:

      > Art Kocsis (artkns@...) wrote (in part) (on 2008-07-19 at
      > 14:35):
      >

      >> It was probably me who suggested Beyond Compare as I feel it is one of
      >> the top two programs ever written (ZTree is the other.).
      > You are of course correct - Beyond Compare DOES have Horiz-Vertical
      > tool buttons. See this screenshot showing CompareIt! and BeyondCompare
      > showing diffs in the same set of files.
      >> I forget who suggested BeyondCompare - FWIW - its slick for what it
      >> does well, but curiously deficient in some (IMO) obvious
      >> features/requirements. Namely toggle Horiz/Vertical comparisons and
      >> support for pre-compare modifications as described above.

      Art:
      Reviewing changes in Sheri's latest ClipCodeSyntax57R2 made me remember
      what my complaint with BeyondCompare was. As you say and I verified it
      HAS horizontal | vertical compare. What it does NOT have is Set word
      wrap (I somehow confused the two in my first message.) KDiff3, WinMatch
      and CompareIt! all have Word Wrap. BC 3's use of tabs (a la Notetab) and
      ability to advance from one file with differences to next is very slick.
      I'll keep using it as long as the beta version continues to work
      (EOM-August I believe) but probably won't buy it.

      Actually Notetab is one of only two programs I've ever bought - the
      other was Symantec AntiVirus+System Utilities 2000- which I totally
      dumped about 6 years ago as I slowly discovered that everything it
      included could be replaced with free (and largely - IMHO) better programs.

      see: http://www.scootersoftware.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3528
      and this response (at the end)