Re: [NTO] redirecting urls

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 14 6:17 AM
      Several links checkers are out there, I use the freeware Xenu Link Sleuth.

      Jeff

      Axel Berger wrote:
      > Mike Breiding wrote:
      >
      >> but this involves link outside my server.
      >>

      > The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
      > "http://...". It can point anywhere.
      >

      >> and that links to a page on a another server which is unavailable
      >>

      > Ah, now I see. No, you can't do that. A redirect must be specified
      > by someone in control of the server in question - anything else
      > would be open to abuse.
      > What should be possible is a (Java)script. You might just request
      > the headers, look at the return code and branch from there. But it
      > would take me about two days to work this out in detail, so I won't
      > try just now.
      >

      >> Spending great amounts of time adding outside links and then,
      >> sometimes within weeks having my pages populated with "dead"
      >> links. Frustrating!
      >>

      > I half remember some tool or other to crawl your site and check all
      > the links for you. Forgot all details, sorry.
      >
      > Axel

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      ~~

      "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

      -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

      Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

      Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
      For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

      Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
      Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
      Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
    • Stan Blazejewski
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 14 6:22 AM
        On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:15:29 -0700, you wrote:

        >Mike Breiding wrote:
        >> Greetings,
        >> Anyone know how to set up a redirect for any missing page to another
        >> specific page?
        >> I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which would send
        >> the request to a specific page for any page not available.
        >>
        >> In other words:
        >> If I have a link on one of my pages to www.deadlink.com and that page is
        >> no longer available, it would redirect to another page which I specify.
        >
        >I don't think this can be done, there is no way to bring back the
        >visitor after they've been directed to another website, whether the url
        >sent to is dead or not. Once they move off your domain, you lose control.
        >
        >Mick

        What can work is opening the link in another window buy using 'target' eg,
        <A href="http://www.deadlink.com" target="_blank">This is a link</A>
        with a note telling the people that a new window will be opened. That way they
        can view the other site (or lack of) but haven't actually left your site. I
        think you can even specify the size of the new window but I haven't needed that
        so haven't investigated how that's done.

        www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 14 6:22 AM
          It appears on a quick google that some programs of this nature do in
          fact exist:
          http://coding.phpground.net/downloads-cat28.html

          I have not played with any of these, but I suppose you could run them a
          couple of times a day on a cron job and report back to yourself. You
          could also write a cgi script for out-links that would advance check I
          suppose, but then that would slow life down for the legitimate links. I
          guess you could also build in a cache file so that it only checks if it
          hasn't been accesses in the last ____ period of time. If it was a good
          link an hour ago, just let it go, if it was a good link three days ago,
          check before sending you.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 14 6:52 AM
            Mike Breiding wrote:
            > Xenu's Link Sleuth perhaps?
            > http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
            > It is fine for after the fact problem reporting but I want
            > to be preemptive.

            Thanks for that link, very helpful for me. As to your comment, isn't
            the opposite true? Any kind of reaction or redirection will only
            fire if and when someone actually clicks that link. Running a crawl
            can prevent that. And what would you redirect to? "Sorry, that link
            seems to be dead, please tell me about it."? The user will work the
            first part out for himself and in nine cases out of ten ignore the
            second. On top of that you'll make it nearly impossible for him to
            look for the page himself, most lost pages are down to internal
            restructuring in my experinence.

            Axel
          • Mike Breiding
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 14 8:11 AM
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > And what would you redirect to? "Sorry, that link
              > seems to be dead, please tell me about it."? The user will work the
              > first part out for himself and in nine cases out of ten ignore the
              > second. On top of that you'll make it nearly impossible for him to
              > look for the page himself, most lost pages are down to internal
              > restructuring in my experinence.
              This is what I had in mind:

              If this link was dead:
              http://www.calfeefuneralhome.com/sitemaker/sites/calfee0/obit.cgi?user=lawrence-cavendish

              It would refer to this link:
              http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/central_states_north_trip_june_2-15_1977/off_site/l_cavendish_obit_files/l_cavendish_obit.html
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 14 8:28 AM
                Mike Breiding wrote:
                > This is what I had in mind:

                I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                about it.

                Axel
              • Mike Breiding
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 14 9:08 AM
                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  > Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                  > I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                  > about it.

                  Thanks, Axel
                  Let me know what you come up with.
                  -Mike
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 14 10:28 AM
                    Mike Breiding wrote:

                    > Axel Berger wrote:
                    > > Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                    > > I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                    > > about it.
                    >
                    > Thanks, Axel
                    > Let me know what you come up with.
                    > -Mike

                    Perhaps you can have it look for the Google cached copy?

                    Jeff
                  • Mike Breiding
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 14 10:42 AM
                      Jeff Scism wrote:
                      > Mike Breiding wrote:
                      >
                      >> Axel Berger wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                      >>> I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                      >>> about it.
                      >>>
                      >> Thanks, Axel
                      >> Let me know what you come up with.
                      >> -Mike
                      >>

                      > Perhaps you can have it look for the Google cached copy?

                      I assume these caches are temporary.
                      Generally, when a link I have used is dead, it is buried, not just a
                      temporary situation.
                      Thanks,
                      -Mike

                      > Jeff

                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 14 10:57 AM
                        Mike Breiding wrote:

                        > Jeff Scism wrote:
                        > > Mike Breiding wrote:
                        > >
                        > I assume these caches are temporary.
                        > Generally, when a link I have used is dead, it is buried, not just a
                        > temporary situation.
                        > Thanks,
                        > -Mike

                        http://www.archive.org/ has the wayback machine with archived webpages
                        going back years. (They don't sample the last year on the site, but
                        anything older than that should have something.)

                        Jeff
                      • Mike Breiding
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 14 11:08 AM
                          Jeff Scism wrote:

                          > http://www.archive.org/ has the wayback machine with archived webpages
                          > going back years. (They don't sample the last year on the site, but
                          > anything older than that should have something.) Jeff
                          Hi Jeff,
                          I have found www.archive.org to be a problem because there are often
                          missing graphics, etc.

                          Thanks,