Re: [NTO] redirecting urls

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
      Axel Berger wrote:
      > Mike Breiding wrote:
      >> but this involves link outside my server.
      >
      > The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
      > "http://...". It can point anywhere.

      I understand finally as well what you are trying to do. You want to fix
      broken links automatically.

      There are really a couple of ways for you to solve the issue:

      1. use xenu link sleuth - it runs your entire site and gives a report of
      broken or redirected links

      2. try linking to more stable pages - you can use waybackmachine to see
      if a page has been there a while or not, but this depends on what you
      are trying to do

      3. take outside links through an interim page and ask people to report
      to you if they are broken (in the past people often opened outside links
      in frames (see for example how google searches do it) and at the top you
      can ask people to report broken links - but be careful that this doesn't
      somehow apply that the content is yours. Give a way to de-frame and
      clearly state what you are doing. A while back some of the big guys got
      sued for doing framed links and claiming or implying that the content in
      the frame was theirs.

      4. I have to believe that there is a perl, php or javascript we could
      write that would link check and report back to us. In a real advanced
      world I suppose -- depending on how your pages are made -- it could even
      fix the links for you. I have never seen such a script, but couldn't be
      that tough to write.

      Don
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
        Several links checkers are out there, I use the freeware Xenu Link Sleuth.

        Jeff

        Axel Berger wrote:
        > Mike Breiding wrote:
        >
        >> but this involves link outside my server.
        >>

        > The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
        > "http://...". It can point anywhere.
        >

        >> and that links to a page on a another server which is unavailable
        >>

        > Ah, now I see. No, you can't do that. A redirect must be specified
        > by someone in control of the server in question - anything else
        > would be open to abuse.
        > What should be possible is a (Java)script. You might just request
        > the headers, look at the return code and branch from there. But it
        > would take me about two days to work this out in detail, so I won't
        > try just now.
        >

        >> Spending great amounts of time adding outside links and then,
        >> sometimes within weeks having my pages populated with "dead"
        >> links. Frustrating!
        >>

        > I half remember some tool or other to crawl your site and check all
        > the links for you. Forgot all details, sorry.
        >
        > Axel

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
        ~~

        "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

        -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

        Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

        Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
        For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

        Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
        Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
        Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
      • Stan Blazejewski
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
          On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:15:29 -0700, you wrote:

          >Mike Breiding wrote:
          >> Greetings,
          >> Anyone know how to set up a redirect for any missing page to another
          >> specific page?
          >> I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which would send
          >> the request to a specific page for any page not available.
          >>
          >> In other words:
          >> If I have a link on one of my pages to www.deadlink.com and that page is
          >> no longer available, it would redirect to another page which I specify.
          >
          >I don't think this can be done, there is no way to bring back the
          >visitor after they've been directed to another website, whether the url
          >sent to is dead or not. Once they move off your domain, you lose control.
          >
          >Mick

          What can work is opening the link in another window buy using 'target' eg,
          <A href="http://www.deadlink.com" target="_blank">This is a link</A>
          with a note telling the people that a new window will be opened. That way they
          can view the other site (or lack of) but haven't actually left your site. I
          think you can even specify the size of the new window but I haven't needed that
          so haven't investigated how that's done.

          www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
            It appears on a quick google that some programs of this nature do in
            fact exist:
            http://coding.phpground.net/downloads-cat28.html

            I have not played with any of these, but I suppose you could run them a
            couple of times a day on a cron job and report back to yourself. You
            could also write a cgi script for out-links that would advance check I
            suppose, but then that would slow life down for the legitimate links. I
            guess you could also build in a cache file so that it only checks if it
            hasn't been accesses in the last ____ period of time. If it was a good
            link an hour ago, just let it go, if it was a good link three days ago,
            check before sending you.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
              Mike Breiding wrote:
              > Xenu's Link Sleuth perhaps?
              > http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
              > It is fine for after the fact problem reporting but I want
              > to be preemptive.

              Thanks for that link, very helpful for me. As to your comment, isn't
              the opposite true? Any kind of reaction or redirection will only
              fire if and when someone actually clicks that link. Running a crawl
              can prevent that. And what would you redirect to? "Sorry, that link
              seems to be dead, please tell me about it."? The user will work the
              first part out for himself and in nine cases out of ten ignore the
              second. On top of that you'll make it nearly impossible for him to
              look for the page himself, most lost pages are down to internal
              restructuring in my experinence.

              Axel
            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                Axel Berger wrote:
                > And what would you redirect to? "Sorry, that link
                > seems to be dead, please tell me about it."? The user will work the
                > first part out for himself and in nine cases out of ten ignore the
                > second. On top of that you'll make it nearly impossible for him to
                > look for the page himself, most lost pages are down to internal
                > restructuring in my experinence.
                This is what I had in mind:

                If this link was dead:
                http://www.calfeefuneralhome.com/sitemaker/sites/calfee0/obit.cgi?user=lawrence-cavendish

                It would refer to this link:
                http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/central_states_north_trip_june_2-15_1977/off_site/l_cavendish_obit_files/l_cavendish_obit.html
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                  Mike Breiding wrote:
                  > This is what I had in mind:

                  I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                  about it.

                  Axel
                • Mike Breiding
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                    Axel Berger wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                    > I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                    > about it.

                    Thanks, Axel
                    Let me know what you come up with.
                    -Mike
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                      Mike Breiding wrote:

                      > Axel Berger wrote:
                      > > Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                      > > I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                      > > about it.
                      >
                      > Thanks, Axel
                      > Let me know what you come up with.
                      > -Mike

                      Perhaps you can have it look for the Google cached copy?

                      Jeff
                    • Mike Breiding
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                        Jeff Scism wrote:
                        > Mike Breiding wrote:
                        >
                        >> Axel Berger wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                        >>> I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                        >>> about it.
                        >>>
                        >> Thanks, Axel
                        >> Let me know what you come up with.
                        >> -Mike
                        >>

                        > Perhaps you can have it look for the Google cached copy?

                        I assume these caches are temporary.
                        Generally, when a link I have used is dead, it is buried, not just a
                        temporary situation.
                        Thanks,
                        -Mike

                        > Jeff

                      • Jeff Scism
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                          Mike Breiding wrote:

                          > Jeff Scism wrote:
                          > > Mike Breiding wrote:
                          > >
                          > I assume these caches are temporary.
                          > Generally, when a link I have used is dead, it is buried, not just a
                          > temporary situation.
                          > Thanks,
                          > -Mike

                          http://www.archive.org/ has the wayback machine with archived webpages
                          going back years. (They don't sample the last year on the site, but
                          anything older than that should have something.)

                          Jeff
                        • Mike Breiding
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                            Jeff Scism wrote:

                            > http://www.archive.org/ has the wayback machine with archived webpages
                            > going back years. (They don't sample the last year on the site, but
                            > anything older than that should have something.) Jeff
                            Hi Jeff,
                            I have found www.archive.org to be a problem because there are often
                            missing graphics, etc.

                            Thanks,