Re: [NTO] redirecting urls

  • MotoMania
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
      Mike Breiding wrote:
      > Greetings,
      > Anyone know how to set up a redirect for any missing page to another
      > specific page?
      > I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which would send
      > the request to a specific page for any page not available.
      >
      > In other words:
      > If I have a link on one of my pages to www.deadlink.com and that page is
      > no longer available, it would redirect to another page which I specify.

      I don't think this can be done, there is no way to bring back the
      visitor after they've been directed to another website, whether the url
      sent to is dead or not. Once they move off your domain, you lose control.

      Mick
      --
      motomania@...
      Remove SPAM to email me :)

      safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
      broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
      -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
        MotoMania wrote:
        > Mike Breiding wrote:
        >
        >> Greetings,
        >> Anyone know how to set up a redirect for any missing page to another
        >> specific page?
        >> I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which would send
        >> the request to a specific page for any page not available.
        >>
        >> In other words:
        >> If I have a link on one of my pages to www.deadlink.com and that page is
        >> no longer available, it would redirect to another page which I specify.
        >>

        > I don't think this can be done, there is no way to bring back the
        > visitor after they've been directed to another website, whether the url
        > sent to is dead or not. Once they move off your domain, you lose control.
        >
        > Mick

        I think he just wants the Meta code for a redirect, aimed at a page he
        specifies.

        SEE:

        http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/document/index_tagsupp_4.html

        --

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
        ~~

        "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

        -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

        Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

        Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
        For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

        Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
        Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
        Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
          Mike Breiding wrote:
          > I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which
          > would send the request to a specific page for any page
          > not available.

          What you need here is a "Redirect" in your ".htaccess". See:

          http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
          http://wsabstract.com/howto/htaccess7.shtml
          http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/reback
          http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/uri-manage

          Axel
        • Mike Breiding
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
            Axel, Jeff, Mick,

            Mick - yes I want to redirect an off site page.
            Jeff - a refresh/redirect is not what I need because I am working with a
            link on my server which sends the user to another domain.
            Axel- I looked over the links you provided but I am still not clear if
            what I want to accomplish is possible.
            Through the Control Panel of my server I have set up redirects for pages
            on my server, but this involves link outside my server.

            To sum up:
            When a linked is launched from a page on my server and that links to a
            page on a another server which is unavailable I want a redirect back to
            my server to specified page.

            My reason for wanting to do this?
            Spending great amounts of time adding outside links and then, sometimes
            within weeks having my pages populated with "dead" links. Frustrating!

            To me this sounds impossible - but I have thought that many times and
            then I see one you all come up with a solution or work around.

            Thanks,
            -Mike
            ================

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
              Mike Breiding wrote:
              > but this involves link outside my server.

              The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
              "http://...". It can point anywhere.

              > and that links to a page on a another server which is unavailable

              Ah, now I see. No, you can't do that. A redirect must be specified
              by someone in control of the server in question - anything else
              would be open to abuse.
              What should be possible is a (Java)script. You might just request
              the headers, look at the return code and branch from there. But it
              would take me about two days to work this out in detail, so I won't
              try just now.

              > Spending great amounts of time adding outside links and then,
              > sometimes within weeks having my pages populated with "dead"
              > links. Frustrating!

              I half remember some tool or other to crawl your site and check all
              the links for you. Forgot all details, sorry.

              Axel
            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                Axel Berger wrote:
                > Mike Breiding wrote:
                >> and that links to a page on a another server which is unavailable
                >>
                > Ah, now I see. No, you can't do that. A redirect must be specified
                > by someone in control of the server in question - anything else
                > would be open to abuse.
                > What should be possible is a (Java)script. You might just request
                > the headers, look at the return code and branch from there. But it
                > would take me about two days to work this out in detail, so I won't
                > try just now.

                I will contact you off list ab out this.
                >> pending great amounts of time adding outside links and then,
                >> sometimes within weeks having my pages populated with "dead"
                >> links. Frustrating!
                >>

                > I half remember some tool or other to crawl your site and check all
                > the links for you. Forgot all details, sorry.

                Xenu's Link Sleuth perhaps?
                http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

                It is fine for after the fact problem reporting but I want to be preemptive.
                Thanks, Axel.
                -Mike
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  > Mike Breiding wrote:
                  >> but this involves link outside my server.
                  >
                  > The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
                  > "http://...". It can point anywhere.

                  I understand finally as well what you are trying to do. You want to fix
                  broken links automatically.

                  There are really a couple of ways for you to solve the issue:

                  1. use xenu link sleuth - it runs your entire site and gives a report of
                  broken or redirected links

                  2. try linking to more stable pages - you can use waybackmachine to see
                  if a page has been there a while or not, but this depends on what you
                  are trying to do

                  3. take outside links through an interim page and ask people to report
                  to you if they are broken (in the past people often opened outside links
                  in frames (see for example how google searches do it) and at the top you
                  can ask people to report broken links - but be careful that this doesn't
                  somehow apply that the content is yours. Give a way to de-frame and
                  clearly state what you are doing. A while back some of the big guys got
                  sued for doing framed links and claiming or implying that the content in
                  the frame was theirs.

                  4. I have to believe that there is a perl, php or javascript we could
                  write that would link check and report back to us. In a real advanced
                  world I suppose -- depending on how your pages are made -- it could even
                  fix the links for you. I have never seen such a script, but couldn't be
                  that tough to write.

                  Don
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                    Several links checkers are out there, I use the freeware Xenu Link Sleuth.

                    Jeff

                    Axel Berger wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding wrote:
                    >
                    >> but this involves link outside my server.
                    >>

                    > The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
                    > "http://...". It can point anywhere.
                    >

                    >> and that links to a page on a another server which is unavailable
                    >>

                    > Ah, now I see. No, you can't do that. A redirect must be specified
                    > by someone in control of the server in question - anything else
                    > would be open to abuse.
                    > What should be possible is a (Java)script. You might just request
                    > the headers, look at the return code and branch from there. But it
                    > would take me about two days to work this out in detail, so I won't
                    > try just now.
                    >

                    >> Spending great amounts of time adding outside links and then,
                    >> sometimes within weeks having my pages populated with "dead"
                    >> links. Frustrating!
                    >>

                    > I half remember some tool or other to crawl your site and check all
                    > the links for you. Forgot all details, sorry.
                    >
                    > Axel

                    Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                    ~~

                    "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

                    -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

                    Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

                    Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
                    For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

                    Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
                    Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
                    Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
                  • Stan Blazejewski
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                      On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:15:29 -0700, you wrote:

                      >Mike Breiding wrote:
                      >> Greetings,
                      >> Anyone know how to set up a redirect for any missing page to another
                      >> specific page?
                      >> I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which would send
                      >> the request to a specific page for any page not available.
                      >>
                      >> In other words:
                      >> If I have a link on one of my pages to www.deadlink.com and that page is
                      >> no longer available, it would redirect to another page which I specify.
                      >
                      >I don't think this can be done, there is no way to bring back the
                      >visitor after they've been directed to another website, whether the url
                      >sent to is dead or not. Once they move off your domain, you lose control.
                      >
                      >Mick

                      What can work is opening the link in another window buy using 'target' eg,
                      <A href="http://www.deadlink.com" target="_blank">This is a link</A>
                      with a note telling the people that a new window will be opened. That way they
                      can view the other site (or lack of) but haven't actually left your site. I
                      think you can even specify the size of the new window but I haven't needed that
                      so haven't investigated how that's done.

                      www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                        It appears on a quick google that some programs of this nature do in
                        fact exist:
                        http://coding.phpground.net/downloads-cat28.html

                        I have not played with any of these, but I suppose you could run them a
                        couple of times a day on a cron job and report back to yourself. You
                        could also write a cgi script for out-links that would advance check I
                        suppose, but then that would slow life down for the legitimate links. I
                        guess you could also build in a cache file so that it only checks if it
                        hasn't been accesses in the last ____ period of time. If it was a good
                        link an hour ago, just let it go, if it was a good link three days ago,
                        check before sending you.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                          Mike Breiding wrote:
                          > Xenu's Link Sleuth perhaps?
                          > http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
                          > It is fine for after the fact problem reporting but I want
                          > to be preemptive.

                          Thanks for that link, very helpful for me. As to your comment, isn't
                          the opposite true? Any kind of reaction or redirection will only
                          fire if and when someone actually clicks that link. Running a crawl
                          can prevent that. And what would you redirect to? "Sorry, that link
                          seems to be dead, please tell me about it."? The user will work the
                          first part out for himself and in nine cases out of ten ignore the
                          second. On top of that you'll make it nearly impossible for him to
                          look for the page himself, most lost pages are down to internal
                          restructuring in my experinence.

                          Axel
                        • Mike Breiding
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                            Axel Berger wrote:
                            > And what would you redirect to? "Sorry, that link
                            > seems to be dead, please tell me about it."? The user will work the
                            > first part out for himself and in nine cases out of ten ignore the
                            > second. On top of that you'll make it nearly impossible for him to
                            > look for the page himself, most lost pages are down to internal
                            > restructuring in my experinence.
                            This is what I had in mind:

                            If this link was dead:
                            http://www.calfeefuneralhome.com/sitemaker/sites/calfee0/obit.cgi?user=lawrence-cavendish

                            It would refer to this link:
                            http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/central_states_north_trip_june_2-15_1977/off_site/l_cavendish_obit_files/l_cavendish_obit.html
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                              Mike Breiding wrote:
                              > This is what I had in mind:

                              I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                              about it.

                              Axel
                            • Mike Breiding
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                Axel Berger wrote:
                                > Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                                > I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                                > about it.

                                Thanks, Axel
                                Let me know what you come up with.
                                -Mike
                              • Jeff Scism
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                  Mike Breiding wrote:

                                  > Axel Berger wrote:
                                  > > Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                                  > > I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                                  > > about it.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks, Axel
                                  > Let me know what you come up with.
                                  > -Mike

                                  Perhaps you can have it look for the Google cached copy?

                                  Jeff
                                • Mike Breiding
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                    Jeff Scism wrote:
                                    > Mike Breiding wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> Axel Berger wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                                    >>> I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                                    >>> about it.
                                    >>>
                                    >> Thanks, Axel
                                    >> Let me know what you come up with.
                                    >> -Mike
                                    >>

                                    > Perhaps you can have it look for the Google cached copy?

                                    I assume these caches are temporary.
                                    Generally, when a link I have used is dead, it is buried, not just a
                                    temporary situation.
                                    Thanks,
                                    -Mike

                                    > Jeff

                                  • Jeff Scism
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                      Mike Breiding wrote:

                                      > Jeff Scism wrote:
                                      > > Mike Breiding wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > I assume these caches are temporary.
                                      > Generally, when a link I have used is dead, it is buried, not just a
                                      > temporary situation.
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > -Mike

                                      http://www.archive.org/ has the wayback machine with archived webpages
                                      going back years. (They don't sample the last year on the site, but
                                      anything older than that should have something.)

                                      Jeff
                                    • Mike Breiding
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                        Jeff Scism wrote:

                                        > http://www.archive.org/ has the wayback machine with archived webpages
                                        > going back years. (They don't sample the last year on the site, but
                                        > anything older than that should have something.) Jeff
                                        Hi Jeff,
                                        I have found www.archive.org to be a problem because there are often
                                        missing graphics, etc.

                                        Thanks,