redirecting urls

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
      Greetings,
      Anyone know how to set up a redirect for any missing page to another
      specific page?
      I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which would send
      the request to a specific page for any page not available.

      In other words:
      If I have a link on one of my pages to www.deadlink.com and that page is
      no longer available, it would redirect to another page which I specify.

      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • MotoMania
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
        Mike Breiding wrote:
        > Greetings,
        > Anyone know how to set up a redirect for any missing page to another
        > specific page?
        > I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which would send
        > the request to a specific page for any page not available.
        >
        > In other words:
        > If I have a link on one of my pages to www.deadlink.com and that page is
        > no longer available, it would redirect to another page which I specify.

        I don't think this can be done, there is no way to bring back the
        visitor after they've been directed to another website, whether the url
        sent to is dead or not. Once they move off your domain, you lose control.

        Mick
        --
        motomania@...
        Remove SPAM to email me :)

        safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
        broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
        -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 13, 2008
          MotoMania wrote:
          > Mike Breiding wrote:
          >
          >> Greetings,
          >> Anyone know how to set up a redirect for any missing page to another
          >> specific page?
          >> I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which would send
          >> the request to a specific page for any page not available.
          >>
          >> In other words:
          >> If I have a link on one of my pages to www.deadlink.com and that page is
          >> no longer available, it would redirect to another page which I specify.
          >>

          > I don't think this can be done, there is no way to bring back the
          > visitor after they've been directed to another website, whether the url
          > sent to is dead or not. Once they move off your domain, you lose control.
          >
          > Mick

          I think he just wants the Meta code for a redirect, aimed at a page he
          specifies.

          SEE:

          http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/document/index_tagsupp_4.html

          --

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          ~~

          "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

          -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

          Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

          Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
          For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

          Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
          Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
          Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
            Mike Breiding wrote:
            > I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which
            > would send the request to a specific page for any page
            > not available.

            What you need here is a "Redirect" in your ".htaccess". See:

            http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
            http://wsabstract.com/howto/htaccess7.shtml
            http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/reback
            http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/uri-manage

            Axel
          • Mike Breiding
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
              Axel, Jeff, Mick,

              Mick - yes I want to redirect an off site page.
              Jeff - a refresh/redirect is not what I need because I am working with a
              link on my server which sends the user to another domain.
              Axel- I looked over the links you provided but I am still not clear if
              what I want to accomplish is possible.
              Through the Control Panel of my server I have set up redirects for pages
              on my server, but this involves link outside my server.

              To sum up:
              When a linked is launched from a page on my server and that links to a
              page on a another server which is unavailable I want a redirect back to
              my server to specified page.

              My reason for wanting to do this?
              Spending great amounts of time adding outside links and then, sometimes
              within weeks having my pages populated with "dead" links. Frustrating!

              To me this sounds impossible - but I have thought that many times and
              then I see one you all come up with a solution or work around.

              Thanks,
              -Mike
              ================

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                Mike Breiding wrote:
                > but this involves link outside my server.

                The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
                "http://...". It can point anywhere.

                > and that links to a page on a another server which is unavailable

                Ah, now I see. No, you can't do that. A redirect must be specified
                by someone in control of the server in question - anything else
                would be open to abuse.
                What should be possible is a (Java)script. You might just request
                the headers, look at the return code and branch from there. But it
                would take me about two days to work this out in detail, so I won't
                try just now.

                > Spending great amounts of time adding outside links and then,
                > sometimes within weeks having my pages populated with "dead"
                > links. Frustrating!

                I half remember some tool or other to crawl your site and check all
                the links for you. Forgot all details, sorry.

                Axel
              • Mike Breiding
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                  Axel Berger wrote:
                  > Mike Breiding wrote:
                  >> and that links to a page on a another server which is unavailable
                  >>
                  > Ah, now I see. No, you can't do that. A redirect must be specified
                  > by someone in control of the server in question - anything else
                  > would be open to abuse.
                  > What should be possible is a (Java)script. You might just request
                  > the headers, look at the return code and branch from there. But it
                  > would take me about two days to work this out in detail, so I won't
                  > try just now.

                  I will contact you off list ab out this.
                  >> pending great amounts of time adding outside links and then,
                  >> sometimes within weeks having my pages populated with "dead"
                  >> links. Frustrating!
                  >>

                  > I half remember some tool or other to crawl your site and check all
                  > the links for you. Forgot all details, sorry.

                  Xenu's Link Sleuth perhaps?
                  http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

                  It is fine for after the fact problem reporting but I want to be preemptive.
                  Thanks, Axel.
                  -Mike
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                    Axel Berger wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding wrote:
                    >> but this involves link outside my server.
                    >
                    > The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
                    > "http://...". It can point anywhere.

                    I understand finally as well what you are trying to do. You want to fix
                    broken links automatically.

                    There are really a couple of ways for you to solve the issue:

                    1. use xenu link sleuth - it runs your entire site and gives a report of
                    broken or redirected links

                    2. try linking to more stable pages - you can use waybackmachine to see
                    if a page has been there a while or not, but this depends on what you
                    are trying to do

                    3. take outside links through an interim page and ask people to report
                    to you if they are broken (in the past people often opened outside links
                    in frames (see for example how google searches do it) and at the top you
                    can ask people to report broken links - but be careful that this doesn't
                    somehow apply that the content is yours. Give a way to de-frame and
                    clearly state what you are doing. A while back some of the big guys got
                    sued for doing framed links and claiming or implying that the content in
                    the frame was theirs.

                    4. I have to believe that there is a perl, php or javascript we could
                    write that would link check and report back to us. In a real advanced
                    world I suppose -- depending on how your pages are made -- it could even
                    fix the links for you. I have never seen such a script, but couldn't be
                    that tough to write.

                    Don
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                      Several links checkers are out there, I use the freeware Xenu Link Sleuth.

                      Jeff

                      Axel Berger wrote:
                      > Mike Breiding wrote:
                      >
                      >> but this involves link outside my server.
                      >>

                      > The "to" part of the redirect needs to be a fully qualified URL
                      > "http://...". It can point anywhere.
                      >

                      >> and that links to a page on a another server which is unavailable
                      >>

                      > Ah, now I see. No, you can't do that. A redirect must be specified
                      > by someone in control of the server in question - anything else
                      > would be open to abuse.
                      > What should be possible is a (Java)script. You might just request
                      > the headers, look at the return code and branch from there. But it
                      > would take me about two days to work this out in detail, so I won't
                      > try just now.
                      >

                      >> Spending great amounts of time adding outside links and then,
                      >> sometimes within weeks having my pages populated with "dead"
                      >> links. Frustrating!
                      >>

                      > I half remember some tool or other to crawl your site and check all
                      > the links for you. Forgot all details, sorry.
                      >
                      > Axel

                      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                      ~~

                      "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

                      -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

                      Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

                      Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
                      For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

                      Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
                      Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
                      Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
                    • Stan Blazejewski
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                        On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:15:29 -0700, you wrote:

                        >Mike Breiding wrote:
                        >> Greetings,
                        >> Anyone know how to set up a redirect for any missing page to another
                        >> specific page?
                        >> I am not talking about a 404 redirect but a redirect which would send
                        >> the request to a specific page for any page not available.
                        >>
                        >> In other words:
                        >> If I have a link on one of my pages to www.deadlink.com and that page is
                        >> no longer available, it would redirect to another page which I specify.
                        >
                        >I don't think this can be done, there is no way to bring back the
                        >visitor after they've been directed to another website, whether the url
                        >sent to is dead or not. Once they move off your domain, you lose control.
                        >
                        >Mick

                        What can work is opening the link in another window buy using 'target' eg,
                        <A href="http://www.deadlink.com" target="_blank">This is a link</A>
                        with a note telling the people that a new window will be opened. That way they
                        can view the other site (or lack of) but haven't actually left your site. I
                        think you can even specify the size of the new window but I haven't needed that
                        so haven't investigated how that's done.

                        www.parkdaleyc.com (where most of them sail)
                      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                          It appears on a quick google that some programs of this nature do in
                          fact exist:
                          http://coding.phpground.net/downloads-cat28.html

                          I have not played with any of these, but I suppose you could run them a
                          couple of times a day on a cron job and report back to yourself. You
                          could also write a cgi script for out-links that would advance check I
                          suppose, but then that would slow life down for the legitimate links. I
                          guess you could also build in a cache file so that it only checks if it
                          hasn't been accesses in the last ____ period of time. If it was a good
                          link an hour ago, just let it go, if it was a good link three days ago,
                          check before sending you.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                            Mike Breiding wrote:
                            > Xenu's Link Sleuth perhaps?
                            > http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
                            > It is fine for after the fact problem reporting but I want
                            > to be preemptive.

                            Thanks for that link, very helpful for me. As to your comment, isn't
                            the opposite true? Any kind of reaction or redirection will only
                            fire if and when someone actually clicks that link. Running a crawl
                            can prevent that. And what would you redirect to? "Sorry, that link
                            seems to be dead, please tell me about it."? The user will work the
                            first part out for himself and in nine cases out of ten ignore the
                            second. On top of that you'll make it nearly impossible for him to
                            look for the page himself, most lost pages are down to internal
                            restructuring in my experinence.

                            Axel
                          • Mike Breiding
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                              Axel Berger wrote:
                              > And what would you redirect to? "Sorry, that link
                              > seems to be dead, please tell me about it."? The user will work the
                              > first part out for himself and in nine cases out of ten ignore the
                              > second. On top of that you'll make it nearly impossible for him to
                              > look for the page himself, most lost pages are down to internal
                              > restructuring in my experinence.
                              This is what I had in mind:

                              If this link was dead:
                              http://www.calfeefuneralhome.com/sitemaker/sites/calfee0/obit.cgi?user=lawrence-cavendish

                              It would refer to this link:
                              http://epicroadtrips.us/dad/journals/travel/usa/central_states_north_trip_june_2-15_1977/off_site/l_cavendish_obit_files/l_cavendish_obit.html
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                Mike Breiding wrote:
                                > This is what I had in mind:

                                I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                                about it.

                                Axel
                              • Mike Breiding
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                  Axel Berger wrote:
                                  > Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                                  > I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                                  > about it.

                                  Thanks, Axel
                                  Let me know what you come up with.
                                  -Mike
                                • Jeff Scism
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                    Mike Breiding wrote:

                                    > Axel Berger wrote:
                                    > > Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                                    > > I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                                    > > about it.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks, Axel
                                    > Let me know what you come up with.
                                    > -Mike

                                    Perhaps you can have it look for the Google cached copy?

                                    Jeff
                                  • Mike Breiding
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                      Jeff Scism wrote:
                                      > Mike Breiding wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Axel Berger wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> Mike Breiding wrote:This is what I had in mind:
                                      >>> I see, substitute a local copy. Sounds reasonable. I'll try to think
                                      >>> about it.
                                      >>>
                                      >> Thanks, Axel
                                      >> Let me know what you come up with.
                                      >> -Mike
                                      >>

                                      > Perhaps you can have it look for the Google cached copy?

                                      I assume these caches are temporary.
                                      Generally, when a link I have used is dead, it is buried, not just a
                                      temporary situation.
                                      Thanks,
                                      -Mike

                                      > Jeff

                                    • Jeff Scism
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                        Mike Breiding wrote:

                                        > Jeff Scism wrote:
                                        > > Mike Breiding wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > I assume these caches are temporary.
                                        > Generally, when a link I have used is dead, it is buried, not just a
                                        > temporary situation.
                                        > Thanks,
                                        > -Mike

                                        http://www.archive.org/ has the wayback machine with archived webpages
                                        going back years. (They don't sample the last year on the site, but
                                        anything older than that should have something.)

                                        Jeff
                                      • Mike Breiding
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                                          Jeff Scism wrote:

                                          > http://www.archive.org/ has the wayback machine with archived webpages
                                          > going back years. (They don't sample the last year on the site, but
                                          > anything older than that should have something.) Jeff
                                          Hi Jeff,
                                          I have found www.archive.org to be a problem because there are often
                                          missing graphics, etc.

                                          Thanks,