Re: [NTO] Double-Click Opens But Doesn't Play File

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9, 2008
      Hi Alec and Axel,

      Thanks for the great ideas. Playing with InstallRite and Revo Uninstaller and
      ERUNT (in case I make a mess of things) should be an interesting adventure.
      Unfortunately I have to drop this problem for a few days because my wife is in
      hospital (for relatively minor surgery). I will be Mr. Mom maybe until
      Saturday.

      I'll be back with results of the InstallRite comparison soon. Meanwhile, can
      you explain why HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\command on both PCs (see
      below) refers to Windows Media Player when the file association for WMV files
      is Zoom Player?

      Thanks again,

      Ray Shapp

      [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\command]
      @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" /prefetch:7 /Open
      \"%L\""
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 10, 2008
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > Meanwhile, can you explain why
        > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\command on both PCs (see
        > below) refers to Windows Media Player when the file association
        > for WMV files is Zoom Player?

        I thought I already did. That subtree pertains to a hypothetical
        file class <WMVfile> which probably never gets called. Your key
        <.WMV> defines that extension to be something else, probably
        <WMV_auto_file>, so that is where Windows looks what to do with
        *.wmv.

        Axel
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 9, 2010
          To All,

          I started this thread back in July of 2008. Axel tried to help me, but I never
          did resolve the issue. (I only partially understood his advice.)

          Restating the problem:

          When I double click a multi-media file such as AVI, WMV, MP4 etc, or when I
          right click on such a file and then click OPEN, Zoom Player launches but the
          audio or video file does not play. If I click the PLAY icon in Zoom Player, I
          get the "No media loaded" message. If I drag the AV file onto the Zoom Player
          application window, the music or video plays normally. IOW, no further action
          is required after dropping the file onto the Zoom Player application window.

          I only recently discovered another symptom that might give you a clue as to
          how to fix my problem. If I right-click the AV file then select SEND TO... and
          click Zoom Player, the application launches and the file plays normally.

          I doubt the problem is with missing or corrupt codecs, and file associations
          point all AV file types to Zoom Player. I have the same version of Zoom Player
          and the same codecs installed on two different PCs. The older PC (Dell 4550)
          launches and plays all media files normally. The newer PC (home brew) has the
          problem as described above.

          Both PCs run WinXP Pro SP3.

          Any advice or trouble-shooting ideas?

          Thank you.

          Ray Shapp
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 10, 2010
            Hi
            to behave the way you want it has to be set as the default player for that
            media ,it sounds as though the is another media player set as default, have
            you installed another media player at all ??
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            > I started this thread back in July of 2008. Axel tried to help me, but I
            > never
            > did resolve the issue. (I only partially understood his advice.)
            >
            > Restating the problem:
            >
            > When I double click a multi-media file such as AVI, WMV, MP4 etc, or when
            > right click on such a file and then click OPEN, Zoom Player launches but
            > the
            > audio or video file does not play. If I click the PLAY icon in Zoom
            > Player, I
            > get the "No media loaded" message. If I drag the AV file onto the Zoom
            > Player
            > application window, the music or video plays normally. IOW, no further
            > action
            > is required after dropping the file onto the Zoom Player application
            > window.
            >
            > I only recently discovered another symptom that might give you a clue as
            > how to fix my problem. If I right-click the AV file then select SEND TO...
            > and
            > click Zoom Player, the application launches and the file plays normally.
            >
            > I doubt the problem is with missing or corrupt codecs, and file
            > associations
            > point all AV file types to Zoom Player. I have the same version of Zoom
            > Player
            > and the same codecs installed on two different PCs. The older PC (Dell
            > 4550)
            > launches and plays all media files normally. The newer PC (home brew) has
            > the
            > problem as described above.
            >
            > Both PCs run WinXP Pro SP3.
            >
            > Any advice or trouble-shooting ideas?
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > Ray Shapp

          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 10, 2010
              To All,

              I just noticed that in Zoom Player Options > File Associations, the "Play"
              checkbox was unmarked. After I inserted a checkmark, media files now play
              immediately when Zoom Player launches.

              Problem solved!

              Ray Shapp
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 11, 2010
                Hi Dave,

                Thanks for the reply.

                <<to behave the way you want it has to be set as the default player for that
                media>>

                Zoom Player is the "default" player in the sense that it is associated with
                the file multimedia types such as AVI, MP4. WMV etc. That's why Zoom Player
                always launches when I double click one of those types of file. After
                launching the application, I was baffled as to why the video or audio clip
                would not autostart.

                Our emails must have crossed. As I said earlier, the solution was to mark the
                "Play" checkbox within Zoom Player.

                Regards,

                Ray Shapp