Re: [NTO] Double-Click Opens But Doesn't Play File

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
      Alec Burgess wrote:
      > Is it possible that you have inadvertently set some option in Media
      > Player that is silently blocking attempts to change file associations
      > - or have some third party spyware guard that is doing this w/o your
      > knowledge? (This one is pretty unlikely IMO).

      No. As Ray said, clicking the file does open the right program but that
      fails to find the file. So the assciation as such is correct. In same
      cases it is not the command line for open at fault but the entry under
      ddeexec. But as there is one computer doing it correctly and one not, it
      is simply a case of looking into the registries and comparing.

      Axel
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
        HI Axel and Alec,

        Thank you both for your great help.

        My responses to your suggestions are interspersed below.

        <<You don't say explicitly say that you have uninstaller and re-installed
        ZoomPlayer but I assume you have?>>

        Yes. I used the ZP uninstaller then ran CCleaner then got a fresh copy of ZP
        from http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/ (Note: I am running the same version of
        ZP on both machines.) I also scanned with Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and
        Destroy, Ad Aware, AVG, and did several reboots. BTW, All scans show that I
        have a clean PC (no malware removals or repairs were necessary).

        <<checking your OP I see that YES it does work when opening within the
        ZPlayer. Okay, this sounds pretty simple - its "just" a matter of
        verifying the file association.>>

        I usually associate a new file type using Open With, but in this case, I took
        the extra steps to examine the associations by using
        Explorer-Tools-Option-File and in two cases, I changed AVI and WMV to Media
        Player Classic and then went back through Explorer-Tools-Option-File types to
        re-associate the two media types with ZP. No joy.

        <<But as there is one computer doing it correctly and one not, it is simply a
        case of looking into the registries and comparing.>>

        This may be the best advice, but I don't mess with the Registry very often. I
        do use ERUNT for Registry backup, so I will get into the Registries as a last
        resort. I know there is a way to export parts of the Registry. Please tell me
        where in the Registry I should look for the parts you suggest I should
        compare. I'll examine the two dumps side-by-side in NTP.

        << Install VLC (just google) - its another alternate video player 1a) Does VLC
        work? - interesting to know whether is ALL non-MediaPlayer
        or something special about>>

        I would like to try VLC again. I have used VLC v0.5.3 on the older PC, but I
        didn't like the interface. I just DLed VLC v0.8.6. The same test video and
        audio files that launch Zone Player but don't render do play immediately when
        I "Open With" VLC. There is nothing special about these media files. I've been
        playing some of them for years (Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise, etc). (Note: I
        don't know how to insert u-umlaut into a plain text email.)

        <<Get Revo Uninstaller <snip>its just possible "something" is screwing up file
        associations or what have you for Zoom Player. Full disclosure - I don't
        really understand codecs but know they are important!>>

        I'd like to have a nice utility like this in any case, but I need some sleep
        before I go any farther. I doubt my problem is with file associations because
        double-clicking any of my media files does open ZP. I'll report whether Revo
        Uninstaller does any good later today. I may even get into the Registry later
        too.

        I agree that codecs are important, but that's an unlikely issue in this case
        because all the files render correctly if I use Send To to get them into ZP or
        if I use the Open File menu item within ZP. They just don't start
        automatically after they launch ZP via double-click.

        I didn't say explicitly, but I did try many combinations of options in ZP. The
        default options should be sufficient to get double-clicked media files into
        the Play List, but I also checked and unchecked all Play List options with no
        joy. I also exported the config file from the older (correctly working PC) and
        installed it on the new PC, but again no joy.

        Many thanks for your help.

        Ray Shapp
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
          Hi Ray
          when you deleted the extensions for the other players did they actually take
          I would close explorer down and start again ,the other thing did the icons
          for the files change when you changed players ?
          THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]
          > too.
          >
          > I agree that codecs are important, but that's an unlikely issue in this
          > case
          > because all the files render correctly if I use Send To to get them into
          > ZP or
          > if I use the Open File menu item within ZP. They just don't start
          > automatically after they launch ZP via double-click.
          >
          > I didn't say explicitly, but I did try many combinations of options in ZP.
          > The
          > default options should be sufficient to get double-clicked media files
          > into
          > the Play List, but I also checked and unchecked all Play List options with
          > no
          > joy. I also exported the config file from the older (correctly working PC)
          > and
          > installed it on the new PC, but again no joy.

        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
            Hi Dave,

            <<when you deleted the extensions for the other players did they actually take

            When I changed the file associations, double-clicking did launch the correct
            application. In the case of Zoom Player, the files did not get added to the
            Play List, therefore, they did not play. When the file association was with
            VLC, the files not only launched VLC but they began to play immediately.

            <<I would close explorer down and start again>>

            I not only closed Windows Explorer, I actually rebooted between changing the
            file associations.

            <<did the icons for the files change when you changed players>>

            I didn't notice.

            Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
              Ray Shapp wrote:
              > Please tell me where in the Registry I should look for the parts
              > you suggest I should compare. I'll examine the two dumps
              > side-by-side in NTP.

              It's all in the very first part HKCR (i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). First
              look at the entry beginning with a dot as in <.WMV>. All this usually
              does is define the (internal, not display) name of the file type. In my
              case this is <WMVFile>. Theb go further down to look at the entry for
              <WMVFile> -> shell -> open -> command. The content is a DOS commandline,
              in my case <"E:\W98-Prog\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe" "%1">.

              know what it's for exactly, but if present it seems to be important.

              Axel
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 9, 2008
                Hi Axel,

                With your help, I may (or may not) have located the problem.

                <<It's all in the very first part HKCR (i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT)>>

                Here below my signature is a segment of the Registry of the new PC which I
                have exported. It shows that the Open command for WMV files is the Windows
                Media Player yet, when I look at file associations in
                Explorer-Tools-Option-File types, it shows Zoom Player as the associated
                application. I compared this part of the Registry with the same area of the
                Registry on the older (Dell 4550) PC. See both exported Registry branches
                below my signature. These branches of the Registries from the two PCs look
                identical.

                Please confirm that this is a real discrepancy. If it is, What would be the
                remedy? Alec has suggested uninstalling and re-installing Zoom Player using
                Revo Uninstaller. I haven't tried that, but I will unless you see a better
                fix.

                Thanks for your continuing help!

                Ray Shapp

                ***segment of Registry from Asus Quad 2.4MHz PC***

                Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open]
                @="&Open"
                "LegacyDisable"=""

                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\command]
                @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" /prefetch:7 /Open
                \"%L\""

                [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\DropTarget]
                "CLSID"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}"

                ***Segment of Registry from Older (Dell4550) PC***

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 9, 2008
                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                  > Please confirm that this is a real discrepancy.

                  Not as such. As in both cases the WMPlayer is not opened but your
                  Zoom player is, those two branches must be irrelevant. Please go and
                  check what the <.WMV> entry above really points at. It can't be
                  <WMFfile> but will probably be something like <WMV_auto_file>. What
                  ever it is, this is the key you need to check.

                  Axel
                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 9, 2008
                    Ray Shapp (ras45@...) wrote (in part) (on 7/9/2008 at 5:07 AM):
                    > Please confirm that this is a real discrepancy. If it is, What would
                    > be the
                    > remedy? Alec has suggested uninstalling and re-installing Zoom Player
                    > using
                    > Revo Uninstaller. I haven't tried that, but I will unless you see a
                    > better
                    > fix.
                    Ray: I encourage you to attempt to continue to investigate a registry
                    "tweak" to resolve your problem since more knowledge/experimentation is
                    always a "good thing (tm)" however IMO - uninstall/reinstall of a
                    program is almost always a zero-risk, minimal time attempt and likely
                    (though not guaranteed) way to correct mysterious problems.

                    That said you can combine the two approaches by the following method:
                    Get InstallRite (google for it) and Revo Uninstaller (you may have
                    already got this?)

                    InstallRite allows you to take a File-system and Registry snapshot, do
                    "something" then redo the snapshot and compare the results in a
                    tree-view. so .... assuming you elect to go this route ...

                    1. in InstallRite - take the initial snapshot
                    2. use Revo Uninstaller (with deep clean) to do the "normal
                    uninstall" and then remove all traces it can find.
                    3. reinstall ZoomPlayer
                    4. if necessary - go into Zoom Player and set file-associations
                    through there interface (options or something done while running
                    the installer itself
                    1. see if it works :-)
                    5. in InstallRite - click Analyze
                    1. review changes to your system as a result of (2) and (3)
                    (4) above.

                    Note: if you see while doing the snapshot that InstallRite is spending a
                    lot of time checking file-system areas that you are not interested in
                    (eg Tiff-cache) in Configure you can tell it to skip certain
                    folders/disks/file-patterns etc.

                    IF in 4.1 you find that now ZoomPlayer will open and play AVIs etc you
                    s/b able to see exactly what the change was that made the difference.
                    Note that by doing the snapshot BEFORE the initial uninstall and AFTER
                    the reinstall and first execution you should be able to isolate just the
                    changes.

                    --
                    Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail)

                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 9, 2008
                      Hi Alec and Axel,

                      Thanks for the great ideas. Playing with InstallRite and Revo Uninstaller and
                      ERUNT (in case I make a mess of things) should be an interesting adventure.
                      Unfortunately I have to drop this problem for a few days because my wife is in
                      hospital (for relatively minor surgery). I will be Mr. Mom maybe until
                      Saturday.

                      I'll be back with results of the InstallRite comparison soon. Meanwhile, can
                      you explain why HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\command on both PCs (see
                      below) refers to Windows Media Player when the file association for WMV files
                      is Zoom Player?

                      Thanks again,

                      Ray Shapp

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 10, 2008
                        Ray Shapp wrote:
                        > Meanwhile, can you explain why
                        > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\command on both PCs (see
                        > below) refers to Windows Media Player when the file association
                        > for WMV files is Zoom Player?

                        I thought I already did. That subtree pertains to a hypothetical
                        file class <WMVfile> which probably never gets called. Your key
                        <.WMV> defines that extension to be something else, probably
                        <WMV_auto_file>, so that is where Windows looks what to do with
                        *.wmv.

                        Axel
                      • Ray Shapp
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 9 10:28 PM
                          To All,

                          I started this thread back in July of 2008. Axel tried to help me, but I never
                          did resolve the issue. (I only partially understood his advice.)

                          Restating the problem:

                          When I double click a multi-media file such as AVI, WMV, MP4 etc, or when I
                          right click on such a file and then click OPEN, Zoom Player launches but the
                          audio or video file does not play. If I click the PLAY icon in Zoom Player, I
                          get the "No media loaded" message. If I drag the AV file onto the Zoom Player
                          application window, the music or video plays normally. IOW, no further action
                          is required after dropping the file onto the Zoom Player application window.

                          I only recently discovered another symptom that might give you a clue as to
                          how to fix my problem. If I right-click the AV file then select SEND TO... and
                          click Zoom Player, the application launches and the file plays normally.

                          I doubt the problem is with missing or corrupt codecs, and file associations
                          point all AV file types to Zoom Player. I have the same version of Zoom Player
                          and the same codecs installed on two different PCs. The older PC (Dell 4550)
                          launches and plays all media files normally. The newer PC (home brew) has the
                          problem as described above.

                          Both PCs run WinXP Pro SP3.

                          Any advice or trouble-shooting ideas?

                          Thank you.

                          Ray Shapp
                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 10 4:39 AM
                            Hi
                            to behave the way you want it has to be set as the default player for that
                            media ,it sounds as though the is another media player set as default, have
                            you installed another media player at all ??
                            THANKYOU DAVE M

                            > I started this thread back in July of 2008. Axel tried to help me, but I
                            > never
                            > did resolve the issue. (I only partially understood his advice.)
                            >
                            > Restating the problem:
                            >
                            > When I double click a multi-media file such as AVI, WMV, MP4 etc, or when
                            > right click on such a file and then click OPEN, Zoom Player launches but
                            > the
                            > audio or video file does not play. If I click the PLAY icon in Zoom
                            > Player, I
                            > get the "No media loaded" message. If I drag the AV file onto the Zoom
                            > Player
                            > application window, the music or video plays normally. IOW, no further
                            > action
                            > is required after dropping the file onto the Zoom Player application
                            > window.
                            >
                            > I only recently discovered another symptom that might give you a clue as
                            > how to fix my problem. If I right-click the AV file then select SEND TO...
                            > and
                            > click Zoom Player, the application launches and the file plays normally.
                            >
                            > I doubt the problem is with missing or corrupt codecs, and file
                            > associations
                            > point all AV file types to Zoom Player. I have the same version of Zoom
                            > Player
                            > and the same codecs installed on two different PCs. The older PC (Dell
                            > 4550)
                            > launches and plays all media files normally. The newer PC (home brew) has
                            > the
                            > problem as described above.
                            >
                            > Both PCs run WinXP Pro SP3.
                            >
                            > Any advice or trouble-shooting ideas?
                            >
                            > Thank you.
                            >
                            > Ray Shapp

                          • Ray Shapp
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 10 5:38 AM
                              To All,

                              I just noticed that in Zoom Player Options > File Associations, the "Play"
                              checkbox was unmarked. After I inserted a checkmark, media files now play
                              immediately when Zoom Player launches.

                              Problem solved!

                              Ray Shapp
                            • Ray Shapp
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 11 3:37 PM
                                Hi Dave,

                                Thanks for the reply.

                                <<to behave the way you want it has to be set as the default player for that
                                media>>

                                Zoom Player is the "default" player in the sense that it is associated with
                                the file multimedia types such as AVI, MP4. WMV etc. That's why Zoom Player
                                always launches when I double click one of those types of file. After
                                launching the application, I was baffled as to why the video or audio clip
                                would not autostart.

                                Our emails must have crossed. As I said earlier, the solution was to mark the
                                "Play" checkbox within Zoom Player.

                                Regards,

                                Ray Shapp