Double-Click Opens But Doesn't Play File

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 7, 2008
      To All,

      When I double-click on AVI or WMV or MP3 files, they open Zoom Player because
      I have associated those file types with Zoom Player. The files, however, don't
      play. When I press the Play button in ZP, I get the "No Media Loaded" message.
      If I use "Send To", I can send one or more of these same media files to Zoom
      Player, and they each play normally in turn.

      If I open Zoom Player then use the "Open file" menu item, any of these same
      files do play normally.

      If I open other players like Windows Media Player or WinAmp, then use their
      "Open file" menu item, these same files play normally.

      I am using Zoom Player v5.01 on two stand-alone computers. When I double-click
      a media file on the older PC, ZP launches and immediately plays the file. I
      have exported the configuration details from ZP on the older PC and installed
      these same configuration details into ZP on the newer PC, but media files
      still launch ZP but do not appear in the Play List, therefore, they do not
      play.

      I have exactly duplicated all the ZP options on both PCs, yet I still get the
      faulty behavior on the newer PC.

      I'd be grateful for any troubleshooting ideas.

      Thank you.

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 7, 2008
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > I have exactly duplicated all the ZP options on both PCs

        Look into the registry and compare the entries for those two file
        types. My guess are quotes around the "%1" -- media file names
        typically contain spaces.

        Axel
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 7, 2008
          Ray Shapp (ras45@...) wrote (in part) (on 7/7/2008 at 11:54 PM):
          > I have exactly duplicated all the ZP options on both PCs, yet I still
          > get the
          > faulty behavior on the newer PC.
          >
          > I'd be grateful for any troubleshooting ideas.
          Hi Ray:
          You don't say explicitly say that you have uninstaller and re-installed
          ZoomPlayer but I assume you have?
          Here's what I would try given the symptoms you describe - maybe not in
          this order but ...

          1) Install VLC (just google) - its another alternate video player - btw:
          also "comes with" a lot of codecs that can forinstance allow it to play
          FLV files (ie. youtube downloads)
          1a) Does VLC work? - interesting to know whether is ALL non-MediaPlayer
          or something special about

          2) Get Revo Uninstaller (it has a portable version available -very
          slick) (again just google). Its advantage is that after running a
          program's uninstaller - it can be asked to do either a "light", "medium"
          or "deep" scan for left-behind registry and file items ... its just
          possible "something" is screwing up file associations or what have you
          for Zoom Player. Full disclosure - I don't really understand codecs but
          know they are important!
          2a) Reinstall ZoomPlayer - does it work now?

          3) Question - can you get Zoom Player to play *anything at all*? -
          checking your OP I see that YES it does work when opening within the
          ZPlayer. Okay, this sounds pretty simple - its "just" a matter of
          verifying the file association. Have you gone into
          Explorer-Tools-Options and reset (or set) ownership of the extensions
          you are interested in to ZPlayer in it?
          3a) Did this work?

          4) Reinstall Windows <mostly kidding> - that would have probably been
          the suggestion of support if (say) you working with an OEM version from
          one of the majors - HP, Dell, IBM etc.

          5) Get one or more of FOA (Freedom of Association), Context Edit (both
          from PC Magazine) or WAssociate (freeware). FOA is probably the simplest
          to use, WAssociate more complicated and Context Edit somewhere in
          between with a focus more on adding/removing/blocking things from
          appearing on the context menu for given file types. They (especially)
          FOA provide easier and more visible ways to do essentially the same
          thing you would have done in (3) above.

          6) Is it possible that you have inadvertently set some option in Media
          Player that is silently blocking attempts to change file associations -
          or have some third party spyware guard that is doing this w/o your
          knowledge? (This one is pretty unlikely IMO).

          Here endth the memory dump! Best guess is try (3) first its easiest and
          will "probably" work if I've understood your problem correctly.

          Hope something above works ... if so please let me know.

          --
          Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail)
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 7, 2008
            Axel Berger (Axel-Berger@...) wrote (in part) (on 7/8/2008 at 1:56
            AM):
            > Ray Shapp wrote:
            > > I have exactly duplicated all the ZP options on both PCs
            >
            > Look into the registry and compare the entries for those two file
            > types. My guess are quotes around the "%1" -- media file names
            > typically contain spaces.
            Good point Axel - If that is the problem I "think" using
            Explorer-Tools-Option-File types should correct that. I've used
            ZoomPlayer in the past (not currently installed) and don't recall any
            problems suggestive of the installer / options settings for ZoomPlayer
            having a problem with them - you'd think it would have been corrected
            long ago - n'est ce pas?

            --
            Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail)
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
              Alec Burgess wrote:
              > you'd think it would have been corrected long ago - n'est ce pas?

              I seem to remember that while most installers do it right, associating a
              file type through the "open with" dialog tends to omit those quotes.

              > Explorer-Tools-Option-File types

              I'm not the GUI type myself, which is why I prefer NoteTab to, say,
              Frontpage, so I suggest the easiest way is editing the registry directly
              through regedit.
              And if you do as I say and always back up the registry beforehand it is
              quite safe too. If on the other hand, you do as I do, you may be in for
              the interesting afternoon every once in a while.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
                Alec Burgess wrote:
                > Is it possible that you have inadvertently set some option in Media
                > Player that is silently blocking attempts to change file associations
                > - or have some third party spyware guard that is doing this w/o your
                > knowledge? (This one is pretty unlikely IMO).

                No. As Ray said, clicking the file does open the right program but that
                fails to find the file. So the assciation as such is correct. In same
                cases it is not the command line for open at fault but the entry under
                ddeexec. But as there is one computer doing it correctly and one not, it
                is simply a case of looking into the registries and comparing.

                Axel
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
                  HI Axel and Alec,

                  Thank you both for your great help.

                  My responses to your suggestions are interspersed below.

                  <<You don't say explicitly say that you have uninstaller and re-installed
                  ZoomPlayer but I assume you have?>>

                  Yes. I used the ZP uninstaller then ran CCleaner then got a fresh copy of ZP
                  from http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/ (Note: I am running the same version of
                  ZP on both machines.) I also scanned with Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and
                  Destroy, Ad Aware, AVG, and did several reboots. BTW, All scans show that I
                  have a clean PC (no malware removals or repairs were necessary).

                  <<checking your OP I see that YES it does work when opening within the
                  ZPlayer. Okay, this sounds pretty simple - its "just" a matter of
                  verifying the file association.>>

                  I usually associate a new file type using Open With, but in this case, I took
                  the extra steps to examine the associations by using
                  Explorer-Tools-Option-File and in two cases, I changed AVI and WMV to Media
                  Player Classic and then went back through Explorer-Tools-Option-File types to
                  re-associate the two media types with ZP. No joy.

                  <<But as there is one computer doing it correctly and one not, it is simply a
                  case of looking into the registries and comparing.>>

                  This may be the best advice, but I don't mess with the Registry very often. I
                  do use ERUNT for Registry backup, so I will get into the Registries as a last
                  resort. I know there is a way to export parts of the Registry. Please tell me
                  where in the Registry I should look for the parts you suggest I should
                  compare. I'll examine the two dumps side-by-side in NTP.

                  << Install VLC (just google) - its another alternate video player 1a) Does VLC
                  work? - interesting to know whether is ALL non-MediaPlayer
                  or something special about>>

                  I would like to try VLC again. I have used VLC v0.5.3 on the older PC, but I
                  didn't like the interface. I just DLed VLC v0.8.6. The same test video and
                  audio files that launch Zone Player but don't render do play immediately when
                  I "Open With" VLC. There is nothing special about these media files. I've been
                  playing some of them for years (Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise, etc). (Note: I
                  don't know how to insert u-umlaut into a plain text email.)

                  <<Get Revo Uninstaller <snip>its just possible "something" is screwing up file
                  associations or what have you for Zoom Player. Full disclosure - I don't
                  really understand codecs but know they are important!>>

                  I'd like to have a nice utility like this in any case, but I need some sleep
                  before I go any farther. I doubt my problem is with file associations because
                  double-clicking any of my media files does open ZP. I'll report whether Revo
                  Uninstaller does any good later today. I may even get into the Registry later
                  too.

                  I agree that codecs are important, but that's an unlikely issue in this case
                  because all the files render correctly if I use Send To to get them into ZP or
                  if I use the Open File menu item within ZP. They just don't start
                  automatically after they launch ZP via double-click.

                  I didn't say explicitly, but I did try many combinations of options in ZP. The
                  default options should be sufficient to get double-clicked media files into
                  the Play List, but I also checked and unchecked all Play List options with no
                  joy. I also exported the config file from the older (correctly working PC) and
                  installed it on the new PC, but again no joy.

                  Many thanks for your help.

                  Ray Shapp
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
                    Hi Ray
                    when you deleted the extensions for the other players did they actually take
                    I would close explorer down and start again ,the other thing did the icons
                    for the files change when you changed players ?
                    THANKYOU DAVE M

> [...]
                    > too.
                    >
                    > I agree that codecs are important, but that's an unlikely issue in this
                    > case
                    > because all the files render correctly if I use Send To to get them into
                    > ZP or
                    > if I use the Open File menu item within ZP. They just don't start
                    > automatically after they launch ZP via double-click.
                    >
                    > I didn't say explicitly, but I did try many combinations of options in ZP.
                    > The
                    > default options should be sufficient to get double-clicked media files
                    > into
                    > the Play List, but I also checked and unchecked all Play List options with
                    > no
                    > joy. I also exported the config file from the older (correctly working PC)
                    > and
                    > installed it on the new PC, but again no joy.

                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
                      Hi Dave,

                      <<when you deleted the extensions for the other players did they actually take

                      When I changed the file associations, double-clicking did launch the correct
                      application. In the case of Zoom Player, the files did not get added to the
                      Play List, therefore, they did not play. When the file association was with
                      VLC, the files not only launched VLC but they began to play immediately.

                      <<I would close explorer down and start again>>

                      I not only closed Windows Explorer, I actually rebooted between changing the
                      file associations.

                      <<did the icons for the files change when you changed players>>

                      I didn't notice.

                      Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 8, 2008
                        Ray Shapp wrote:
                        > Please tell me where in the Registry I should look for the parts
                        > you suggest I should compare. I'll examine the two dumps
                        > side-by-side in NTP.

                        It's all in the very first part HKCR (i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT). First
                        look at the entry beginning with a dot as in <.WMV>. All this usually
                        does is define the (internal, not display) name of the file type. In my
                        case this is <WMVFile>. Theb go further down to look at the entry for
                        <WMVFile> -> shell -> open -> command. The content is a DOS commandline,
                        in my case <"E:\W98-Prog\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe" "%1">.

                        know what it's for exactly, but if present it seems to be important.

                        Axel
                      • Ray Shapp
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 9, 2008
                          Hi Axel,

                          With your help, I may (or may not) have located the problem.

                          <<It's all in the very first part HKCR (i.e. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT)>>

                          Here below my signature is a segment of the Registry of the new PC which I
                          have exported. It shows that the Open command for WMV files is the Windows
                          Media Player yet, when I look at file associations in
                          Explorer-Tools-Option-File types, it shows Zoom Player as the associated
                          application. I compared this part of the Registry with the same area of the
                          Registry on the older (Dell 4550) PC. See both exported Registry branches
                          below my signature. These branches of the Registries from the two PCs look
                          identical.

                          Please confirm that this is a real discrepancy. If it is, What would be the
                          remedy? Alec has suggested uninstalling and re-installing Zoom Player using
                          Revo Uninstaller. I haven't tried that, but I will unless you see a better
                          fix.

                          Thanks for your continuing help!

                          Ray Shapp

                          ***segment of Registry from Asus Quad 2.4MHz PC***

                          Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

                          [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open]
                          @="&Open"
                          "LegacyDisable"=""

                          [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\command]
                          @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe\" /prefetch:7 /Open
                          \"%L\""

                          [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\DropTarget]
                          "CLSID"="{CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}"

                          ***Segment of Registry from Older (Dell4550) PC***

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 9, 2008
                            Ray Shapp wrote:
                            > Please confirm that this is a real discrepancy.

                            Not as such. As in both cases the WMPlayer is not opened but your
                            Zoom player is, those two branches must be irrelevant. Please go and
                            check what the <.WMV> entry above really points at. It can't be
                            <WMFfile> but will probably be something like <WMV_auto_file>. What
                            ever it is, this is the key you need to check.

                            Axel
                          • Alec Burgess
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 9, 2008
                              Ray Shapp (ras45@...) wrote (in part) (on 7/9/2008 at 5:07 AM):
                              > Please confirm that this is a real discrepancy. If it is, What would
                              > be the
                              > remedy? Alec has suggested uninstalling and re-installing Zoom Player
                              > using
                              > Revo Uninstaller. I haven't tried that, but I will unless you see a
                              > better
                              > fix.
                              Ray: I encourage you to attempt to continue to investigate a registry
                              "tweak" to resolve your problem since more knowledge/experimentation is
                              always a "good thing (tm)" however IMO - uninstall/reinstall of a
                              program is almost always a zero-risk, minimal time attempt and likely
                              (though not guaranteed) way to correct mysterious problems.

                              That said you can combine the two approaches by the following method:
                              Get InstallRite (google for it) and Revo Uninstaller (you may have
                              already got this?)

                              InstallRite allows you to take a File-system and Registry snapshot, do
                              "something" then redo the snapshot and compare the results in a
                              tree-view. so .... assuming you elect to go this route ...

                              1. in InstallRite - take the initial snapshot
                              2. use Revo Uninstaller (with deep clean) to do the "normal
                              uninstall" and then remove all traces it can find.
                              3. reinstall ZoomPlayer
                              4. if necessary - go into Zoom Player and set file-associations
                              through there interface (options or something done while running
                              the installer itself
                              1. see if it works :-)
                              5. in InstallRite - click Analyze
                              1. review changes to your system as a result of (2) and (3)
                              (4) above.

                              Note: if you see while doing the snapshot that InstallRite is spending a
                              lot of time checking file-system areas that you are not interested in
                              (eg Tiff-cache) in Configure you can tell it to skip certain
                              folders/disks/file-patterns etc.

                              IF in 4.1 you find that now ZoomPlayer will open and play AVIs etc you
                              s/b able to see exactly what the change was that made the difference.
                              Note that by doing the snapshot BEFORE the initial uninstall and AFTER
                              the reinstall and first execution you should be able to isolate just the
                              changes.

                              --
                              Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail)

                            • Ray Shapp
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 9, 2008
                                Hi Alec and Axel,

                                Thanks for the great ideas. Playing with InstallRite and Revo Uninstaller and
                                ERUNT (in case I make a mess of things) should be an interesting adventure.
                                Unfortunately I have to drop this problem for a few days because my wife is in
                                hospital (for relatively minor surgery). I will be Mr. Mom maybe until
                                Saturday.

                                I'll be back with results of the InstallRite comparison soon. Meanwhile, can
                                you explain why HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\command on both PCs (see
                                below) refers to Windows Media Player when the file association for WMV files
                                is Zoom Player?

                                Thanks again,

                                Ray Shapp

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 10, 2008
                                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                                  > Meanwhile, can you explain why
                                  > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMVFile\shell\open\command on both PCs (see
                                  > below) refers to Windows Media Player when the file association
                                  > for WMV files is Zoom Player?

                                  I thought I already did. That subtree pertains to a hypothetical
                                  file class <WMVfile> which probably never gets called. Your key
                                  <.WMV> defines that extension to be something else, probably
                                  <WMV_auto_file>, so that is where Windows looks what to do with
                                  *.wmv.

                                  Axel
                                • Ray Shapp
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 9, 2010
                                    To All,

                                    I started this thread back in July of 2008. Axel tried to help me, but I never
                                    did resolve the issue. (I only partially understood his advice.)

                                    Restating the problem:

                                    When I double click a multi-media file such as AVI, WMV, MP4 etc, or when I
                                    right click on such a file and then click OPEN, Zoom Player launches but the
                                    audio or video file does not play. If I click the PLAY icon in Zoom Player, I
                                    get the "No media loaded" message. If I drag the AV file onto the Zoom Player
                                    application window, the music or video plays normally. IOW, no further action
                                    is required after dropping the file onto the Zoom Player application window.

                                    I only recently discovered another symptom that might give you a clue as to
                                    how to fix my problem. If I right-click the AV file then select SEND TO... and
                                    click Zoom Player, the application launches and the file plays normally.

                                    I doubt the problem is with missing or corrupt codecs, and file associations
                                    point all AV file types to Zoom Player. I have the same version of Zoom Player
                                    and the same codecs installed on two different PCs. The older PC (Dell 4550)
                                    launches and plays all media files normally. The newer PC (home brew) has the
                                    problem as described above.

                                    Both PCs run WinXP Pro SP3.

                                    Any advice or trouble-shooting ideas?

                                    Thank you.

                                    Ray Shapp
                                  • Dave
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 10, 2010
                                      Hi
                                      to behave the way you want it has to be set as the default player for that
                                      media ,it sounds as though the is another media player set as default, have
                                      you installed another media player at all ??
                                      THANKYOU DAVE M

                                      > I started this thread back in July of 2008. Axel tried to help me, but I
                                      > never
                                      > did resolve the issue. (I only partially understood his advice.)
                                      >
                                      > Restating the problem:
                                      >
                                      > When I double click a multi-media file such as AVI, WMV, MP4 etc, or when
                                      > right click on such a file and then click OPEN, Zoom Player launches but
                                      > the
                                      > audio or video file does not play. If I click the PLAY icon in Zoom
                                      > Player, I
                                      > get the "No media loaded" message. If I drag the AV file onto the Zoom
                                      > Player
                                      > application window, the music or video plays normally. IOW, no further
                                      > action
                                      > is required after dropping the file onto the Zoom Player application
                                      > window.
                                      >
                                      > I only recently discovered another symptom that might give you a clue as
                                      > how to fix my problem. If I right-click the AV file then select SEND TO...
                                      > and
                                      > click Zoom Player, the application launches and the file plays normally.
                                      >
                                      > I doubt the problem is with missing or corrupt codecs, and file
                                      > associations
                                      > point all AV file types to Zoom Player. I have the same version of Zoom
                                      > Player
                                      > and the same codecs installed on two different PCs. The older PC (Dell
                                      > 4550)
                                      > launches and plays all media files normally. The newer PC (home brew) has
                                      > the
                                      > problem as described above.
                                      >
                                      > Both PCs run WinXP Pro SP3.
                                      >
                                      > Any advice or trouble-shooting ideas?
                                      >
                                      > Thank you.
                                      >
                                      > Ray Shapp

                                    • Ray Shapp
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 10, 2010
                                        To All,

                                        I just noticed that in Zoom Player Options > File Associations, the "Play"
                                        checkbox was unmarked. After I inserted a checkmark, media files now play
                                        immediately when Zoom Player launches.

                                        Problem solved!

                                        Ray Shapp
                                      • Ray Shapp
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 11, 2010
                                          Hi Dave,

                                          Thanks for the reply.

                                          <<to behave the way you want it has to be set as the default player for that
                                          media>>

                                          Zoom Player is the "default" player in the sense that it is associated with
                                          the file multimedia types such as AVI, MP4. WMV etc. That's why Zoom Player
                                          always launches when I double click one of those types of file. After
                                          launching the application, I was baffled as to why the video or audio clip
                                          would not autostart.

                                          Our emails must have crossed. As I said earlier, the solution was to mark the
                                          "Play" checkbox within Zoom Player.

                                          Regards,

                                          Ray Shapp