[NTO] Re: Extracting Disc Search results to a text document

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
      If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
      the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
      freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
      disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
      immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
      Ransack and send it to NoteTab.

      http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
        Sheri wrote:
        > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as
        >> admin.
        >>
        >> Jeff
        >>

        > It would not be enough for you to be running as admin. You would also
        > need to find the Copytext program in Explorer, right click it to edit
        > its Properties, go to Compatibility, and enable the "Run this program
        > as Administrator" check box.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Sheri
        Which I did, and it is inoperative.

        Just loaded a fresh copy today, no change.

        Jeff
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
          Sheri wrote:
          > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
          > the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
          > freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
          > disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
          > immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
          > Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
          >
          > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri
          Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too many) isn't
          a problem, I just need a list of the file names where the search terms
          are found, a step toward manual indexing the 13,000 page website.

          The majority of the pages are named for the individual they reference
          (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the results would be a index like link
          list after processing.

          (1100 of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
          names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish that.)

          Jeff
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
            OK I used Sysexporter, as recommended, and got what I needed.

            (takes some post results editing, but grabs the search results list OK.

            ABNEY JOHN
            ACKER LEONARD E
            ADKINS A T
            AIKMAN JOE J
            AIRHART CORNEILIUS L
            AIRHART CORNELIUS L
            ALEXANDER DURWOOD P
            ALEXANDER NANCY
            ALLEN DAFFORD ARNET

            and over 1000 more.

            Thanks everyone.

            Jeff
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 8, 2008
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:

              > Sheri wrote:
              > > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then
              > > copy the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack.
              > > It is a freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely
              > > use it for disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so
              > > if I want to immediately open one of the files found, I can
              > > right-click it in Agent Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
              > >
              > > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Sheri
              > Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too
              > many) isn't a problem, I just need a list of the file names where
              > the search terms are found, a step toward manual indexing the
              > 13,000 page website. The majority of the pages are named for the
              > individual they reference (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the
              > results would be a index like link list after processing. (1100
              > of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
              > names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish
              > that.)

              When you save results in Agent Ransack, you can save just a list of
              the file names, or the search text matches, or both. What I said about
              opening files from Agent Ransack was just to point out that it can fit
              in well with using NoteTab.