[NTO] Re: Extracting Disc Search results to a text document

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:

      > Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as
      > admin.
      >
      > Jeff

      It would not be enough for you to be running as admin. You would also
      need to find the Copytext program in Explorer, right click it to edit
      its Properties, go to Compatibility, and enable the "Run this program
      as Administrator" check box.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
        If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
        the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
        freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
        disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
        immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
        Ransack and send it to NoteTab.

        http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
          Sheri wrote:
          > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as
          >> admin.
          >>
          >> Jeff
          >>

          > It would not be enough for you to be running as admin. You would also
          > need to find the Copytext program in Explorer, right click it to edit
          > its Properties, go to Compatibility, and enable the "Run this program
          > as Administrator" check box.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Sheri
          Which I did, and it is inoperative.

          Just loaded a fresh copy today, no change.

          Jeff
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
            Sheri wrote:
            > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
            > the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
            > freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
            > disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
            > immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
            > Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
            >
            > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
            >
            > Regards,
            > Sheri
            Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too many) isn't
            a problem, I just need a list of the file names where the search terms
            are found, a step toward manual indexing the 13,000 page website.

            The majority of the pages are named for the individual they reference
            (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the results would be a index like link
            list after processing.

            (1100 of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
            names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish that.)

            Jeff
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
              OK I used Sysexporter, as recommended, and got what I needed.

              (takes some post results editing, but grabs the search results list OK.

              ABNEY JOHN
              ACKER LEONARD E
              ADKINS A T
              AIKMAN JOE J
              AIRHART CORNEILIUS L
              AIRHART CORNELIUS L
              ALEXANDER DURWOOD P
              ALEXANDER NANCY
              ALLEN DAFFORD ARNET

              and over 1000 more.

              Thanks everyone.

              Jeff
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 8, 2008
                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:

                > Sheri wrote:
                > > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then
                > > copy the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack.
                > > It is a freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely
                > > use it for disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so
                > > if I want to immediately open one of the files found, I can
                > > right-click it in Agent Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
                > >
                > > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
                > >
                > > Regards,
                > > Sheri
                > Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too
                > many) isn't a problem, I just need a list of the file names where
                > the search terms are found, a step toward manual indexing the
                > 13,000 page website. The majority of the pages are named for the
                > individual they reference (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the
                > results would be a index like link list after processing. (1100
                > of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
                > names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish
                > that.)

                When you save results in Agent Ransack, you can save just a list of
                the file names, or the search text matches, or both. What I said about
                opening files from Agent Ransack was just to point out that it can fit
                in well with using NoteTab.