Re: [NTO] Re: Extracting Disc Search results to a text document

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
      Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as admin.

      Jeff

      Sheri wrote:

      > Did you ever try grabbing it from the list popup with CopyText?
      > CopyText probably needs admin privilege in Vista to be able to see a
      > NoteTab-created window.
      >
      > http://www10.pair.com/vsap/FreeSoft.html
      > <http://www10.pair.com/vsap/FreeSoft.html>

    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:

        > Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as
        > admin.
        >
        > Jeff

        It would not be enough for you to be running as admin. You would also
        need to find the Copytext program in Explorer, right click it to edit
        its Properties, go to Compatibility, and enable the "Run this program
        as Administrator" check box.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
          If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
          the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
          freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
          disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
          immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
          Ransack and send it to NoteTab.

          http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

          Regards,
          Sheri
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
            Sheri wrote:
            > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as
            >> admin.
            >>
            >> Jeff
            >>

            > It would not be enough for you to be running as admin. You would also
            > need to find the Copytext program in Explorer, right click it to edit
            > its Properties, go to Compatibility, and enable the "Run this program
            > as Administrator" check box.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Sheri
            Which I did, and it is inoperative.

            Just loaded a fresh copy today, no change.

            Jeff
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
              Sheri wrote:
              > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
              > the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
              > freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
              > disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
              > immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
              > Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
              >
              > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
              >
              > Regards,
              > Sheri
              Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too many) isn't
              a problem, I just need a list of the file names where the search terms
              are found, a step toward manual indexing the 13,000 page website.

              The majority of the pages are named for the individual they reference
              (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the results would be a index like link
              list after processing.

              (1100 of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
              names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish that.)

              Jeff
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                OK I used Sysexporter, as recommended, and got what I needed.

                (takes some post results editing, but grabs the search results list OK.

                ABNEY JOHN
                ACKER LEONARD E
                ADKINS A T
                AIKMAN JOE J
                AIRHART CORNEILIUS L
                AIRHART CORNELIUS L
                ALEXANDER DURWOOD P
                ALEXANDER NANCY
                ALLEN DAFFORD ARNET

                and over 1000 more.

                Thanks everyone.

                Jeff
              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 8, 2008
                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:

                  > Sheri wrote:
                  > > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then
                  > > copy the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack.
                  > > It is a freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely
                  > > use it for disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so
                  > > if I want to immediately open one of the files found, I can
                  > > right-click it in Agent Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Sheri
                  > Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too
                  > many) isn't a problem, I just need a list of the file names where
                  > the search terms are found, a step toward manual indexing the
                  > 13,000 page website. The majority of the pages are named for the
                  > individual they reference (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the
                  > results would be a index like link list after processing. (1100
                  > of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
                  > names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish
                  > that.)

                  When you save results in Agent Ransack, you can save just a list of
                  the file names, or the search text matches, or both. What I said about
                  opening files from Agent Ransack was just to point out that it can fit
                  in well with using NoteTab.