Re: [NTO] Extracting Disc Search results to a text document

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
      buralex@... wrote:
      > Jeff Scism <jeff@...> said on Jun 07, 2008 9:14 -0400 (in part):
      >
      >> This would be feasible if there were a small number of files, but I am
      >> dealing with up to 10,000. (normally though results are in the
      >> 700-1,000 range)
      >>
      > Do you have Cygwin (basically makes most Unix tools available to run on
      > Windows) on your system? If you are setting up a clip anyway, you could
      > I think (not tested), fire off a detached grep command and have it
      > redirect sys$output to a known file which you already have open in
      > Notetab - that way you get a notice when it changes. You could even do a
      > tail -follow so you could see its progress in another DOS/Command window
      > as it whips (or lumbers(?)) through 10,000 files.
      Cygwin is not needed for grep. There is a Sourceforge project for
      Windows versions of Unix tools, such as grep.

      Here is one http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/, I am not finding the one I
      have for Windows, as am I on my Linux partition.

      HTH,

      Larry Hamilton
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
        Of course, as soon as I sent my last email, I remembered the name of the
        project:

        http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

        Larry Hamilton
        Kairos Computer Solutions
        http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
        Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
          Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as admin.

          Jeff

          Sheri wrote:

          > Did you ever try grabbing it from the list popup with CopyText?
          > CopyText probably needs admin privilege in Vista to be able to see a
          > NoteTab-created window.
          >
          > http://www10.pair.com/vsap/FreeSoft.html
          > <http://www10.pair.com/vsap/FreeSoft.html>

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:

            > Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as
            > admin.
            >
            > Jeff

            It would not be enough for you to be running as admin. You would also
            need to find the Copytext program in Explorer, right click it to edit
            its Properties, go to Compatibility, and enable the "Run this program
            as Administrator" check box.

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
              If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
              the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
              freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
              disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
              immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
              Ransack and send it to NoteTab.

              http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                Sheri wrote:
                > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as
                >> admin.
                >>
                >> Jeff
                >>

                > It would not be enough for you to be running as admin. You would also
                > need to find the Copytext program in Explorer, right click it to edit
                > its Properties, go to Compatibility, and enable the "Run this program
                > as Administrator" check box.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Sheri
                Which I did, and it is inoperative.

                Just loaded a fresh copy today, no change.

                Jeff
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                  Sheri wrote:
                  > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
                  > the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
                  > freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
                  > disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
                  > immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
                  > Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
                  >
                  > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Sheri
                  Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too many) isn't
                  a problem, I just need a list of the file names where the search terms
                  are found, a step toward manual indexing the 13,000 page website.

                  The majority of the pages are named for the individual they reference
                  (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the results would be a index like link
                  list after processing.

                  (1100 of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
                  names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish that.)

                  Jeff
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                    OK I used Sysexporter, as recommended, and got what I needed.

                    (takes some post results editing, but grabs the search results list OK.

                    ABNEY JOHN
                    ACKER LEONARD E
                    ADKINS A T
                    AIKMAN JOE J
                    AIRHART CORNEILIUS L
                    AIRHART CORNELIUS L
                    ALEXANDER DURWOOD P
                    ALEXANDER NANCY
                    ALLEN DAFFORD ARNET

                    and over 1000 more.

                    Thanks everyone.

                    Jeff
                  • Sheri
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 8, 2008
                      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:

                      > Sheri wrote:
                      > > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then
                      > > copy the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack.
                      > > It is a freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely
                      > > use it for disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so
                      > > if I want to immediately open one of the files found, I can
                      > > right-click it in Agent Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
                      > >
                      > > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
                      > >
                      > > Regards,
                      > > Sheri
                      > Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too
                      > many) isn't a problem, I just need a list of the file names where
                      > the search terms are found, a step toward manual indexing the
                      > 13,000 page website. The majority of the pages are named for the
                      > individual they reference (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the
                      > results would be a index like link list after processing. (1100
                      > of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
                      > names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish
                      > that.)

                      When you save results in Agent Ransack, you can save just a list of
                      the file names, or the search text matches, or both. What I said about
                      opening files from Agent Ransack was just to point out that it can fit
                      in well with using NoteTab.