Extracting Disc Search results to a text document

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
      Is there a way to have the search directory results copied to a new Text
      document instead of a pop-up window (or from the pop-up)? I often need
      to create a list of on-directory files which contain the search term.

      --

      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
      ~~

      "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

      -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

      Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

      Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
      For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

      Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
      Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
      Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
        Jeff Scism wrote:
        > Is there a way to have the search directory results copied to a new Text
        > document instead of a pop-up window (or from the pop-up)? I often need
        > to create a list of on-directory files which contain the search term.

        That is a good one. You only get the pop up I believe if you ask for
        confirmation, correct?

        One option (off the top of my head):

        Create a clip that
        1. captures all open documents by full name.
        2. closes all open documents (saving them of course if necessary)
        3. performs your search disk and opens all files
        4. records the full or other desired name of those files (hence doing
        what you want)
        5. closes all open files
        6. reopens the original files captured in step one.

        I see no better way, but undoubtedly someone else does.
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
          Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
          > Jeff Scism wrote:
          >
          >> Is there a way to have the search directory results copied to a new Text
          >> document instead of a pop-up window (or from the pop-up)? I often need
          >> to create a list of on-directory files which contain the search term.
          >>

          > That is a good one. You only get the pop up I believe if you ask for
          > confirmation, correct?
          >
          > One option (off the top of my head):
          >
          > Create a clip that
          > 1. captures all open documents by full name.
          > 2. closes all open documents (saving them of course if necessary)
          > 3. performs your search disk and opens all files
          > 4. records the full or other desired name of those files (hence doing
          > what you want)
          > 5. closes all open files
          > 6. reopens the original files captured in step one.
          >
          > I see no better way, but undoubtedly someone else does.

          This would be feasible if there were a small number of files, but I am
          dealing with up to 10,000. (normally though results are in the
          700-1,000 range)

          Jeff

          --

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          ~~

          "No one more sincerely wishes the spread of information among mankind than I do, and none has greater confidence in its effect towards supporting free and good government."

          -- Thomas Jefferson (letter to Trustees for the Lottery of East Tennessee College, 6 May 1810)

          Reference: The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Washington, ed., vol. 5 (521)

          Visit http://ibssg.org/blacksheep/
          For the Intl. Blacksheep Society of Genealogists website

          Putnam County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/
          Montgomery County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/
          Fountain County Indiana http://ingenweb.org/infountain/
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
            Did you ever try grabbing it from the list popup with CopyText?
            CopyText probably needs admin privilege in Vista to be able to see a
            NoteTab-created window.

            http://www10.pair.com/vsap/FreeSoft.html
          • buralex@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
              Jeff Scism <jeff@...> said on Jun 07, 2008 9:14 -0400 (in part):
              > This would be feasible if there were a small number of files, but I am
              > dealing with up to 10,000. (normally though results are in the
              > 700-1,000 range)
              Do you have Cygwin (basically makes most Unix tools available to run on
              Windows) on your system? If you are setting up a clip anyway, you could
              I think (not tested), fire off a detached grep command and have it
              redirect sys$output to a known file which you already have open in
              Notetab - that way you get a notice when it changes. You could even do a
              tail -follow so you could see its progress in another DOS/Command window
              as it whips (or lumbers(?)) through 10,000 files.

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                buralex@... wrote:
                > Jeff Scism <jeff@...> said on Jun 07, 2008 9:14 -0400 (in part):
                >
                >> This would be feasible if there were a small number of files, but I am
                >> dealing with up to 10,000. (normally though results are in the
                >> 700-1,000 range)
                >>
                > Do you have Cygwin (basically makes most Unix tools available to run on
                > Windows) on your system? If you are setting up a clip anyway, you could
                > I think (not tested), fire off a detached grep command and have it
                > redirect sys$output to a known file which you already have open in
                > Notetab - that way you get a notice when it changes. You could even do a
                > tail -follow so you could see its progress in another DOS/Command window
                > as it whips (or lumbers(?)) through 10,000 files.
                Cygwin is not needed for grep. There is a Sourceforge project for
                Windows versions of Unix tools, such as grep.

                Here is one http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/, I am not finding the one I
                have for Windows, as am I on my Linux partition.

                HTH,

                Larry Hamilton
              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                  Of course, as soon as I sent my last email, I remembered the name of the
                  project:

                  http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

                  Larry Hamilton
                  Kairos Computer Solutions
                  http://www.kairoscomputers.com/
                  Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                    Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as admin.

                    Jeff

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:

                      > Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as
                      > admin.
                      >
                      > Jeff

                      It would not be enough for you to be running as admin. You would also
                      need to find the Copytext program in Explorer, right click it to edit
                      its Properties, go to Compatibility, and enable the "Run this program
                      as Administrator" check box.

                      Regards,
                      Sheri
                    • Sheri
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                        If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
                        the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
                        freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
                        disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
                        immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
                        Ransack and send it to NoteTab.

                        http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

                        Regards,
                        Sheri
                      • Jeff Scism
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                          Sheri wrote:
                          > --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Yes I did, It didn't grab anything in Vista, and Yes I am running as
                          >> admin.
                          >>
                          >> Jeff
                          >>

                          > It would not be enough for you to be running as admin. You would also
                          > need to find the Copytext program in Explorer, right click it to edit
                          > its Properties, go to Compatibility, and enable the "Run this program
                          > as Administrator" check box.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Sheri
                          Which I did, and it is inoperative.

                          Just loaded a fresh copy today, no change.

                          Jeff
                        • Jeff Scism
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                            Sheri wrote:
                            > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then copy
                            > the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack. It is a
                            > freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely use it for
                            > disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so if I want to
                            > immediately open one of the files found, I can right-click it in Agent
                            > Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
                            >
                            > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Sheri
                            Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too many) isn't
                            a problem, I just need a list of the file names where the search terms
                            are found, a step toward manual indexing the 13,000 page website.

                            The majority of the pages are named for the individual they reference
                            (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the results would be a index like link
                            list after processing.

                            (1100 of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
                            names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish that.)

                            Jeff
                          • Jeff Scism
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 7, 2008
                              OK I used Sysexporter, as recommended, and got what I needed.

                              (takes some post results editing, but grabs the search results list OK.

                              ABNEY JOHN
                              ACKER LEONARD E
                              ADKINS A T
                              AIKMAN JOE J
                              AIRHART CORNEILIUS L
                              AIRHART CORNELIUS L
                              ALEXANDER DURWOOD P
                              ALEXANDER NANCY
                              ALLEN DAFFORD ARNET

                              and over 1000 more.

                              Thanks everyone.

                              Jeff
                            • Sheri
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 8, 2008
                                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <jeff@...> wrote:

                                > Sheri wrote:
                                > > If you want to use another program to do the searching and then
                                > > copy the results to the clipboard or to file, try Agent Ransack.
                                > > It is a freebie that Jody discovered and recommended. I routinely
                                > > use it for disk searches. I have NoteTab on my Send-To list, so
                                > > if I want to immediately open one of the files found, I can
                                > > right-click it in Agent Ransack and send it to NoteTab.
                                > >
                                > > http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/
                                > >
                                > > Regards,
                                > > Sheri
                                > Opening any of the files ( or all if the results are not too
                                > many) isn't a problem, I just need a list of the file names where
                                > the search terms are found, a step toward manual indexing the
                                > 13,000 page website. The majority of the pages are named for the
                                > individual they reference (surname-forename-middle.htm) so the
                                > results would be a index like link list after processing. (1100
                                > of the individuals are known Masons, I want to extract ONLY their
                                > names as an example. Extracting the file names would accomplish
                                > that.)

                                When you save results in Agent Ransack, you can save just a list of
                                the file names, or the search text matches, or both. What I said about
                                opening files from Agent Ransack was just to point out that it can fit
                                in well with using NoteTab.