Re: [NTO] pheriferals vs peripherals

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
      My rule of thumb ...

      If it marks a correctly-spelled word as incorrect, then it's the dictionary.
      If it fails to suggest the correct word, then it's the suggestion algorithm.

      (The correct-spelling-lookup algorithm is trivial and doesn't merit
      discussion.)

      Determination of good suggestions for misspelled words is definitely
      non-trivial, although I'm a bit surprised that any suggestion algorithm
      would have trouble with periferal. After all, there are eight correct
      letters.

      I have known spell checkers to baulk at misspelled words that are not of the
      same length as the correct word. That might be the problem here. Try the
      programs with perifferal and see if they make a better go of it.

      BTW, I'm using Outlook Express for this message, and it's had no problems
      suggesting peripheral from either of the above spellings. However, I had
      used the word "suggester" in one place, and OE only suggested "suggested",
      and not "suggestion" as alternatives (neither did Word). Whether they
      stopped because they "knew" what the correct spelling was, or whether they
      also missed suggestion for some other reason, I don't know.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
        On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:54:11 +0200, Margaret Penfold
        <margaretpenfold@...> wrote:

        > Alec, I am intrigued that you can spell check in Thunderbird. When I
        > first downloaded Thunderbird the spell checker worked fine, then it
        > updated without consultation and ever since , however many times I've
        > downloaded the UK spellchecker it hasn't worked. I even tried
        > downloading the USA spellchecker but that won't work either. I almost
        > feel like reverting to Outlook Express to solve my problem.
        > Margaret Penfold

        Margaret, it is a bit off-topic in this thread, and please forgive me if I
        take your "download" too literally, but you have to download *and then*
        install the spellcheck libraries manually. Add-ons/extensions in TB are
        not installed the same way as in Firefox.
        Inside TB, -> menu Tools -> Addons -> Install ... (bottom left). Navigate
        to your download folder.

        Hope this helps. With me TB spell check works fine.

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
          Hi all: I have the free Adobe pdf reader but when I go to valley contractors
          exchange and try to save a file spec it comes back as a picture and word
          will not let me edit or use it. An neither will Notetab Pro I already way to
          much software to learn is there a way to do this without buying another over
          done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill way
          to many things to learn. 2K brain in a 2gig world.
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
            Precision Seeding wrote:
            > Hi all: I have the free Adobe pdf reader but when I go to valley contractors
            > exchange and try to save a file spec it comes back as a picture and word
            > will not let me edit or use it. An neither will Notetab Pro I already way to
            > much software to learn is there a way to do this without buying another over
            > done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill way
            > to many things to learn. 2K brain in a 2gig world.

            You lost me in the explanation a bit perhaps. PDF documents typically
            are not editable except by certain programs (like full blown Adobe
            Acrobat - not the free reader - programs etc.). However once you open
            the document in the adobe reader, you can chose select and then control
            + a (select all) and then control +c (copy). Then open notetab and hit
            control + v in a blank document and the text should be there and
            editable. Depending on the formatting this might get you off and running.
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
              Hi
              you can not save anything in free Adobe pdf reader ,the only way to edit is
              with acrobat software, word won't and neither will notetab pro.
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              > Hi all: I have the free Adobe pdf reader but when I go to valley
              > contractors
              > exchange and try to save a file spec it comes back as a picture and word
              > will not let me edit or use it. An neither will Notetab Pro I already way
              > much software to learn is there a way to do this without buying another
              > over
              > done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill
              > way
              > to many things to learn. 2K brain in a 2gig world.

            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                Dave wrote:
                > Hi
                > you can not save anything in free Adobe pdf reader ,the only way to edit is
                > with acrobat software, word won't and neither will notetab pro.
                > THANKYOU DAVE M

                Edits can also be made using Adobe Illustrator.
                Acrobat generates vector files which are fully compatible with Illustrator.
                If you edit it Illustrator you will need to make sure to save it in a
                PDF compatible format.
                -Mike

              • fw7oaks
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                  --- On Mon, 6/9/08, Precision Seeding <bscott022@...> wrote:

                  Have a look at the freeware Foxit Reader

                  http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

                  it has an extract text function you might find useful.

                  fw
                • K B
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                    On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Precision Seeding <bscott022@...> wrote:
                    > is there a way to do this without buying another over
                    > done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill

                    I have not used this feature myself so I cannot comment, but Open
                    Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) will export to PDF format.

                    Karen
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                      Mike Breiding wrote:
                      > Dave wrote:
                      >> Hi
                      >> you can not save anything in free Adobe pdf reader ,the only way to edit is
                      >> with acrobat software, word won't and neither will notetab pro.
                      >> THANKYOU DAVE M
                      >>
                      > Edits can also be made using Adobe Illustrator.
                      > Acrobat generates vector files which are fully compatible with Illustrator.
                      > If you edit it Illustrator you will need to make sure to save it in a
                      > PDF compatible format.
                      > -Mike

                      Or in corel draw x3 or x4 and many many other programs. But he was
                      saying he doesn't want to buy a new program.
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                        K B wrote:
                        > On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Precision Seeding <bscott022@...> wrote:
                        >> is there a way to do this without buying another over
                        >> done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill
                        >
                        > I have not used this feature myself so I cannot comment, but Open
                        > Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) will export to PDF format.
                        >
                        > Karen

                        I use that daily (as well as something called Leadtools Eprint that
                        allow you to print to pdf on disk instead of to a printer -- very cool)
                        but that creates pdf documents Karen, he is trying to edit one already
                        in existence.

                        While you cannot edit the actual document, you can extract the text in
                        it and then paste that into notetab or any other software you choose.
                      • K B
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                          > but that creates pdf documents Karen, he is trying to edit one already
                          > in existence.
                          >
                          > While you cannot edit the actual document, you can extract the text in
                          > it and then paste that into notetab or any other software you choose.

                          Just trying to be helpful, but if you choose to paste it into OO you
                          can then export it as another PDF.

                          Karen
                        • Jeff Scism
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                            Precision Seeding wrote:

                            > Hi all: I have the free Adobe pdf reader but when I go to valley
                            > contractors
                            > exchange and try to save a file spec it comes back as a picture and word
                            > will not let me edit or use it. An neither will Notetab Pro I already
                            > way to
                            > much software to learn is there a way to do this without buying
                            > another over
                            > done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance
                            > Bill way
                            > to many things to learn. 2K brain in a 2gig world.

                            There are several PDF format editors available as free and shareware.
                            The issues you are likely to find though is that text saved as images
                            will have to be OCRed (Optical Character Recognition) before they
                            become editable, and that often means careful corrections to the OCR
                            product before actually setting out to finish what you wanted to do.

                            It is likely to be a multi-stage process. Portable Document Format was
                            designed to make the process difficult, and the PDF docs are usually a
                            viewable/printable format, but not meant to be edited by downstream users.

                            http://www.google.com/search?q=pdf+editing+freeware will offer some choices.