pheriferals vs peripherals

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
      *//*
      <http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&safe=off&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-39,GGGL:en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=peripherals&spell=1>pheriferals
      vs peripherals

      I was having a senior moment and while trying to type "peripherals",
      the best guess I could come up with was "pheriferals". I knew it was
      wrong but couldn't guess what it ought to be.

      The program I was using at the time had a spell checker and knew enough
      to do the squiggly red underline but didn't have any suggestions. I
      entered it into the Google toolbar which came back (as I'd hoped) "did
      you mean peripherals". Problem solved!

      but being curious I tried the same thing in a couple of different
      programs, they all know that "peripherals" is correct but vary in
      whether they can come up with the correct suggested replacement:

      * Notetab - NO (I've got only the American std dictionary - the one
      recommended in the HELP file.)
      * Thunderbird - YES (default dictionaries I guess)
      * HelpMaker - NO ditto default dictionaries (free help authoring
      tool and the program I was using when I had the senior moment -
      and a good one IMHO)
      * aspell - YES (along with a bunch of others, but the correct one
      was in #1 slot (installed by cygwin along with about a thousand
      other programs )

      Question: is it the dictionary or the algorithm that succeeds/fails?
      Does anyone know or have a good reference for further research?

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
        buralex@... said on Jun 04, 2008 13:51 -0400 (in part):
        > I was having a senior moment and while trying to type "peripherals",
        > the best guess I could come up with was "pheriferals". I knew it was
        > wrong but couldn't guess what it ought to be.

        Bonus Followup - even if you could care less about spelling algorithms,
        if you use Wikipedia (heck if you even know what Wikipedia is) try this
        query:

        http://www.powerset.com/explore/go/peripherals

        to pretend that this is at least partially relevant to our mutual
        interest here's the query for Notetab:
        http://www.powerset.com/explore/semhtml/NoteTab

        In the right-hand sidebar alternate clicks on [Show outline] and [Show
        factz]

        Pop up two levels to http://www.powerset.com/ to see what it is all about.

        If you use Firefox, it has a button to add it to your Firefox search
        engines. I've been splitting my queries between it and google about
        50-50 for the last couple of days since I discovered it (on an IBM
        Research feed)

        caveat - apparently the crawl, update and process cycle is about one
        month so perhaps not a good idea if you are looking for Wikipedia's take
        on current events.

        If you are curious here is the history list for the Notetab-Wikipedia
        entry. I recognize at least a couple of the names. As always Sheri
        deserves kudos for her behind the scenes work. Good edit on 11:19, 8
        September 2007 Sheri!
        http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=NoteTab&limit=500&action=history

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • Margaret Penfold
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
          Alec, I am intrigued that you can spell check in Thunderbird. When I
          first downloaded Thunderbird the spell checker worked fine, then it
          updated without consultation and ever since , however many times I've
          downloaded the UK spellchecker it hasn't worked. I even tried
          downloading the USA spellchecker but that won't work either. I almost
          feel like reverting to Outlook Express to solve my problem.
          Margaret Penfold

        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
            My rule of thumb ...

            If it marks a correctly-spelled word as incorrect, then it's the dictionary.
            If it fails to suggest the correct word, then it's the suggestion algorithm.

            (The correct-spelling-lookup algorithm is trivial and doesn't merit
            discussion.)

            Determination of good suggestions for misspelled words is definitely
            non-trivial, although I'm a bit surprised that any suggestion algorithm
            would have trouble with periferal. After all, there are eight correct
            letters.

            I have known spell checkers to baulk at misspelled words that are not of the
            same length as the correct word. That might be the problem here. Try the
            programs with perifferal and see if they make a better go of it.

            BTW, I'm using Outlook Express for this message, and it's had no problems
            suggesting peripheral from either of the above spellings. However, I had
            used the word "suggester" in one place, and OE only suggested "suggested",
            and not "suggestion" as alternatives (neither did Word). Whether they
            stopped because they "knew" what the correct spelling was, or whether they
            also missed suggestion for some other reason, I don't know.

            Regards, Dave S

            > I was having a senior moment and while trying to type "peripherals",
            > the best guess I could come up with was "pheriferals". I knew it was
            > wrong but couldn't guess what it ought to be.
            >
            > The program I was using at the time had a spell checker and knew enough
            > to do the squiggly red underline but didn't have any suggestions. I
            > entered it into the Google toolbar which came back (as I'd hoped) "did
            > you mean peripherals". Problem solved!
            >
            > but being curious I tried the same thing in a couple of different
            > programs, they all know that "peripherals" is correct but vary in
            > whether they can come up with the correct suggested replacement:
            >
            > * Notetab - NO (I've got only the American std dictionary - the one
            > recommended in the HELP file.)
            > * Thunderbird - YES (default dictionaries I guess)
            > * HelpMaker - NO ditto default dictionaries (free help authoring
            > tool and the program I was using when I had the senior moment -
            > and a good one IMHO)
            > * aspell - YES (along with a bunch of others, but the correct one
            > was in #1 slot (installed by cygwin along with about a thousand
            > other programs )
            >
            > Question: is it the dictionary or the algorithm that succeeds/fails?
            > Does anyone know or have a good reference for further research?
            >
            > Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail
            > --

          • Gerard Huijing
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2008
              On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:54:11 +0200, Margaret Penfold
              <margaretpenfold@...> wrote:

              > Alec, I am intrigued that you can spell check in Thunderbird. When I
              > first downloaded Thunderbird the spell checker worked fine, then it
              > updated without consultation and ever since , however many times I've
              > downloaded the UK spellchecker it hasn't worked. I even tried
              > downloading the USA spellchecker but that won't work either. I almost
              > feel like reverting to Outlook Express to solve my problem.
              > Margaret Penfold

              Margaret, it is a bit off-topic in this thread, and please forgive me if I
              take your "download" too literally, but you have to download *and then*
              install the spellcheck libraries manually. Add-ons/extensions in TB are
              not installed the same way as in Firefox.
              Inside TB, -> menu Tools -> Addons -> Install ... (bottom left). Navigate
              to your download folder.

              Hope this helps. With me TB spell check works fine.

              Cheers,
              Gerard

              --
              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
              2312 ZD Leiden
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                Hi all: I have the free Adobe pdf reader but when I go to valley contractors
                exchange and try to save a file spec it comes back as a picture and word
                will not let me edit or use it. An neither will Notetab Pro I already way to
                much software to learn is there a way to do this without buying another over
                done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill way
                to many things to learn. 2K brain in a 2gig world.
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                  Precision Seeding wrote:
                  > Hi all: I have the free Adobe pdf reader but when I go to valley contractors
                  > exchange and try to save a file spec it comes back as a picture and word
                  > will not let me edit or use it. An neither will Notetab Pro I already way to
                  > much software to learn is there a way to do this without buying another over
                  > done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill way
                  > to many things to learn. 2K brain in a 2gig world.

                  You lost me in the explanation a bit perhaps. PDF documents typically
                  are not editable except by certain programs (like full blown Adobe
                  Acrobat - not the free reader - programs etc.). However once you open
                  the document in the adobe reader, you can chose select and then control
                  + a (select all) and then control +c (copy). Then open notetab and hit
                  control + v in a blank document and the text should be there and
                  editable. Depending on the formatting this might get you off and running.
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                    Hi
                    you can not save anything in free Adobe pdf reader ,the only way to edit is
                    with acrobat software, word won't and neither will notetab pro.
                    THANKYOU DAVE M

                    > Hi all: I have the free Adobe pdf reader but when I go to valley
                    > contractors
                    > exchange and try to save a file spec it comes back as a picture and word
                    > will not let me edit or use it. An neither will Notetab Pro I already way
                    > much software to learn is there a way to do this without buying another
                    > over
                    > done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill
                    > way
                    > to many things to learn. 2K brain in a 2gig world.

                  • Mike Breiding
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                      Dave wrote:
                      > Hi
                      > you can not save anything in free Adobe pdf reader ,the only way to edit is
                      > with acrobat software, word won't and neither will notetab pro.
                      > THANKYOU DAVE M

                      Edits can also be made using Adobe Illustrator.
                      Acrobat generates vector files which are fully compatible with Illustrator.
                      If you edit it Illustrator you will need to make sure to save it in a
                      PDF compatible format.
                      -Mike

                    • fw7oaks
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                        --- On Mon, 6/9/08, Precision Seeding <bscott022@...> wrote:

                        Have a look at the freeware Foxit Reader

                        http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

                        it has an extract text function you might find useful.

                        fw
                      • K B
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                          On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Precision Seeding <bscott022@...> wrote:
                          > is there a way to do this without buying another over
                          > done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill

                          I have not used this feature myself so I cannot comment, but Open
                          Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) will export to PDF format.

                          Karen
                        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                            Mike Breiding wrote:
                            > Dave wrote:
                            >> Hi
                            >> you can not save anything in free Adobe pdf reader ,the only way to edit is
                            >> with acrobat software, word won't and neither will notetab pro.
                            >> THANKYOU DAVE M
                            >>
                            > Edits can also be made using Adobe Illustrator.
                            > Acrobat generates vector files which are fully compatible with Illustrator.
                            > If you edit it Illustrator you will need to make sure to save it in a
                            > PDF compatible format.
                            > -Mike

                            Or in corel draw x3 or x4 and many many other programs. But he was
                            saying he doesn't want to buy a new program.
                          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                              K B wrote:
                              > On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Precision Seeding <bscott022@...> wrote:
                              >> is there a way to do this without buying another over
                              >> done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance Bill
                              >
                              > I have not used this feature myself so I cannot comment, but Open
                              > Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) will export to PDF format.
                              >
                              > Karen

                              I use that daily (as well as something called Leadtools Eprint that
                              allow you to print to pdf on disk instead of to a printer -- very cool)
                              but that creates pdf documents Karen, he is trying to edit one already
                              in existence.

                              While you cannot edit the actual document, you can extract the text in
                              it and then paste that into notetab or any other software you choose.
                            • K B
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                                > but that creates pdf documents Karen, he is trying to edit one already
                                > in existence.
                                >
                                > While you cannot edit the actual document, you can extract the text in
                                > it and then paste that into notetab or any other software you choose.

                                Just trying to be helpful, but if you choose to paste it into OO you
                                can then export it as another PDF.

                                Karen
                              • Jeff Scism
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 9, 2008
                                  Precision Seeding wrote:

                                  > Hi all: I have the free Adobe pdf reader but when I go to valley
                                  > contractors
                                  > exchange and try to save a file spec it comes back as a picture and word
                                  > will not let me edit or use it. An neither will Notetab Pro I already
                                  > way to
                                  > much software to learn is there a way to do this without buying
                                  > another over
                                  > done software package for my particular needs ?? Thanks in advance
                                  > Bill way
                                  > to many things to learn. 2K brain in a 2gig world.

                                  There are several PDF format editors available as free and shareware.
                                  The issues you are likely to find though is that text saved as images
                                  will have to be OCRed (Optical Character Recognition) before they
                                  become editable, and that often means careful corrections to the OCR
                                  product before actually setting out to finish what you wanted to do.

                                  It is likely to be a multi-stage process. Portable Document Format was
                                  designed to make the process difficult, and the PDF docs are usually a
                                  viewable/printable format, but not meant to be edited by downstream users.

                                  http://www.google.com/search?q=pdf+editing+freeware will offer some choices.