Re: [NTO] Anyone seen this error message before before?

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
      Mike Breiding <mike@...> said on Jun 02, 2008 15:30
      -0400 (in part):

      > I get this error message occasionally and have never been able to
      > associate it with any particular action or application.
      > Is it familiar to anyone?
      >
      > Here is a screen shot.
      > http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
      Mike - from the following posts it sounds like it actually was a window
      raised by something called "PCMservice.exe" and you've got it removed now.

      For next time ...
      Have you got Process Explorer (from Sysinternals) on your system? One of
      many nice features it has, is a button on the toolbar which can be
      dragged onto any window. When mouse is released Process Explorer window
      is reshown with the owner of the window highlighted. If you double-click
      the process line it opens a properties window which can show you amongst
      other things the command-line used to start the task/process. This is
      often a good head-start to determining what is going on.

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Mike Breiding
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
        alice ttlg wrote:It might have come from a legit site that you visited
        that had been
        > hacked - the server I run my webhosting business on got hit a couple
        > years ago by a hacker thru a security hole in a php-based archiving
        > program. It managed to insert a footer on thousands of webpages on
        > more than just the initial customer's site. (That was a very late
        > night cleaning up that mess!)

        Makes me queasy just thinking about that!!
        So far, my only hijack has been page defacement of index files due to my
        improperly setting file permission.
        The substituted page was Pakistani propaganda as I recall. I got lucky
        nothing worse happened.

        Thanks,
        -Mike
      • Mike Breiding
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
          Jeff Scism wrote:
          > I think it was a malware process, since the word "Window" was misspelled.

          Hi Jeff,
          I have been thinking that way also since it first appeared.
          But, how can I verify that?
          When I choose "OK" or "Cancel" on the dialog box, nothing obvious seems
          to happen.
          Since I removed it yesterday from the Startup list it has not shown back
          up in the Processes list.

          -Mike
        • Mike Breiding
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
            buralex@... wrote:
            > Mike Breiding <mike@...> said on Jun 02, 2008 15:30
            > -0400 (in part):
            >
            >> I get this error message occasionally and have never been able to
            >> associate it with any particular action or application.
            >> Is it familiar to anyone?
            >>
            >> Here is a screen shot.
            >> http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
            >>
            > Mike - from the following posts it sounds like it actually was a window
            > raised by something called "PCMservice.exe" and you've got it removed now.

            I think so as well. Time will tell.
            > For next time ...
            > Have you got Process Explorer (from Sysinternals) on your system?<TRIM>

            Just downloaded. Very handy!
            Thanks,
            -Mike