Re: [NTO] Anyone seen this error message before before?

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
      alice ttlg wrote:
      > The fact that "Windows" is misspelled and that it says at the url above:
      >
      > "Some malware camouflage themselves as PCMService.exe,"
      >
      > makes me seriously think what you've got is a virus or trojan or other
      > nasty thing. I am always leary of misspelled stuff (or obvious
      > grammatical errors) as it is often a sign of spam or viruses.
      I feel the same and have been suspicious, but I could never detect
      anything other than the error message popping up.
      > I'd run
      > some virus checks and if you're not running behind a firewall, this
      > could be a reminder that you need one and a good anti-virus program if
      > you don't have one.
      I run ZoneAlarm and Spybot and have a hardware firewall which I hope is
      adequate.
      I simply cannot tolerate intrusive and slow AV software so I have
      always relied on "safe computing" and firewalls to combat intrusions.

      Thus far I have found nothing I can positively determine is anything
      which has hacked it's way in.
      -Mike
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
        On 6/2/08, Mike Breiding <mike@...> wrote:

        > I run ZoneAlarm and Spybot and have a hardware firewall which I hope is
        > adequate.
        > I simply cannot tolerate intrusive and slow AV software so I have
        > always relied on "safe computing" and firewalls to combat intrusions.

        :) Everyone's experiences are different, even two identical PCs will
        have different reactions! Zone Alarm has been awful for me every time
        I've used on various PCs for the last few years, way too slow, uses
        too much memory.

        What worked for me is a hardware firewall and Avast anti-virus (I like
        it better than Grisoft, that one always slowed the PC down too much
        and too many popups, Avast always worked more quietly in the
        background. Plus safe computing and all that.

        Choice is a good thing so we can all find what works best for each of us!

        > Thus far I have found nothing I can positively determine is anything
        > which has hacked it's way in.

        It might have come from a legit site that you visited that had been
        hacked - the server I run my webhosting business on got hit a couple
        years ago by a hacker thru a security hole in a php-based archiving
        program. It managed to insert a footer on thousands of webpages on
        more than just the initial customer's site. (That was a very late
        night cleaning up that mess!) And a friend of mine, her site has
        gotten hacked by a virus that infected her webpages (on a Linux server
        run by a very large webhost who had no interest in fixing the
        vulnerability on another customer's account and so her site and
        everyone else's got infected). Often the infected part of the webpage
        is not visible to the user or looks innocuous and it can be on a
        reliable site you've visited before with no problems.

        --
        hth,
        alice ttlg

        Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
        http://www.populli.org/
        Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
        http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
          A Dummy "Winidow"?

          Jeff

          Mike Breiding wrote:
          > Greetings,
          >
          > I get this error message occasionally and have never been able to
          > associate it with any particular action or application.
          > Is it familiar to anyone?
          >
          > Here is a screen shot.
          > http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
          >
          > Thanks,
          > -Mike

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          ~~

          "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

          President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

          Visit http://ibssg.org/
          For The Blacksheep website, MORE...

          Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
          http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/bios/

          Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
          http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/

          Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
          http://ingenweb.org/infountain/vitals/bios/
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
            Mike Breiding wrote:
            > MotoMania wrote:
            >
            >> I did a search on "pcmservice.exe" on google and one of the first I
            >> found was:
            >>
            >> http://www.file.net/process/pcmservice.exe.html
            >>
            >> HTH! or at least gives an idea of where to start. Mick
            >>

            > This page gave me a place to start. Thanks!
            > I used Spybot S&D tools to remove pcmservice.exe from the startup list,
            > rebooted and it did not load.
            > I am still unsure what the file does.
            > The Media Direct Launch button still functions without it.
            >
            > -Mike

            I think it was a malware process, since the word "Window" was misspelled.

            Jeff

            --

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
            ~~

          • buralex@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
              Mike Breiding <mike@...> said on Jun 02, 2008 15:30
              -0400 (in part):

              > I get this error message occasionally and have never been able to
              > associate it with any particular action or application.
              > Is it familiar to anyone?
              >
              > Here is a screen shot.
              > http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
              Mike - from the following posts it sounds like it actually was a window
              raised by something called "PCMservice.exe" and you've got it removed now.

              For next time ...
              Have you got Process Explorer (from Sysinternals) on your system? One of
              many nice features it has, is a button on the toolbar which can be
              dragged onto any window. When mouse is released Process Explorer window
              is reshown with the owner of the window highlighted. If you double-click
              the process line it opens a properties window which can show you amongst
              other things the command-line used to start the task/process. This is
              often a good head-start to determining what is going on.

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                alice ttlg wrote:It might have come from a legit site that you visited
                that had been
                > hacked - the server I run my webhosting business on got hit a couple
                > years ago by a hacker thru a security hole in a php-based archiving
                > program. It managed to insert a footer on thousands of webpages on
                > more than just the initial customer's site. (That was a very late
                > night cleaning up that mess!)

                Makes me queasy just thinking about that!!
                So far, my only hijack has been page defacement of index files due to my
                improperly setting file permission.
                The substituted page was Pakistani propaganda as I recall. I got lucky
                nothing worse happened.

                Thanks,
                -Mike
              • Mike Breiding
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Jeff Scism wrote:
                  > I think it was a malware process, since the word "Window" was misspelled.

                  Hi Jeff,
                  I have been thinking that way also since it first appeared.
                  But, how can I verify that?
                  When I choose "OK" or "Cancel" on the dialog box, nothing obvious seems
                  to happen.
                  Since I removed it yesterday from the Startup list it has not shown back
                  up in the Processes list.

                  -Mike
                • Mike Breiding
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                    buralex@... wrote:
                    > Mike Breiding <mike@...> said on Jun 02, 2008 15:30
                    > -0400 (in part):
                    >
                    >> I get this error message occasionally and have never been able to
                    >> associate it with any particular action or application.
                    >> Is it familiar to anyone?
                    >>
                    >> Here is a screen shot.
                    >> http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
                    >>
                    > Mike - from the following posts it sounds like it actually was a window
                    > raised by something called "PCMservice.exe" and you've got it removed now.

                    I think so as well. Time will tell.
                    > For next time ...
                    > Have you got Process Explorer (from Sysinternals) on your system?<TRIM>

                    Just downloaded. Very handy!
                    Thanks,
                    -Mike