Re: [NTO] Anyone seen this error message before before?

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
      That message must be from a Microsoft component.

      Everyone else knows enough to put the name of the program that displays the window either on the title bar or within the window.

      According to the Windows API (Application Program Interface), it belongs on the title bar.

      Bruce

    • Mike Breiding
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
        Whats weird is Window is spelled Winidow in the title bar.
        -mb
        ==============
        bruce.somers@... wrote:
        > That message must be from a Microsoft component.
        >
        > Everyone else knows enough to put the name of the program that displays the window either on the title bar or within the window.
        >
        > According to the Windows API (Application Program Interface), it belongs on the title bar.
        >
        > Bruce

      • MotoMania
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
          I did a search on "pcmservice.exe" on google and one of the first I
          found was:

          http://www.file.net/process/pcmservice.exe.html

          HTH! or at least gives an idea of where to start.

          Mick

          motomania@...
          Remove SPAM to email me :)

          safely in a pretty and well preserved body -- but rather to skid in
          broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
          -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!" - Author : Unknown

          Mike Breiding wrote:
          > Whats weird is Window is spelled Winidow in the title bar.
          > -mb
          > ==============
          > bruce.somers@... wrote:
          >> That message must be from a Microsoft component.
          >>
          >> Everyone else knows enough to put the name of the program that displays the window either on the title bar or within the window.
          >>
          >> According to the Windows API (Application Program Interface), it belongs on the title bar.
          >>
          >> Bruce

        • Mike Breiding
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
            MotoMania wrote:
            > I did a search on "pcmservice.exe" on google and one of the first I
            > found was:
            >
            > http://www.file.net/process/pcmservice.exe.html
            >
            > HTH! or at least gives an idea of where to start. Mick

            This page gave me a place to start. Thanks!
            I used Spybot S&D tools to remove pcmservice.exe from the startup list,
            rebooted and it did not load.
            I am still unsure what the file does.
            The Media Direct Launch button still functions without it.

            -Mike
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
              Mike Breiding wrote:
              > Greetings,
              >
              > I get this error message occasionally and have never been able to
              > associate it with any particular action or application.
              > Is it familiar to anyone?
              >
              > Here is a screen shot.
              > http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
              >
              > Thanks,
              > -Mike

              Mike,

              This site can be found via websearch but, to save a little time try this
              url.

              http://www.file.net/process/pcmservice.exe.html

              ºvº SL_154 created_2008.06.02_13.49.58

              Newspaper HeadLine...
              • Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
              € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
            • alice ttlg
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
                On 6/2/08, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:
                > Mike Breiding wrote:
                > >
                > > Here is a screen shot.
                > > http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
                >
                > This site can be found via websearch but, to save a little time try this
                > url.
                >

                > http://www.file.net/process/pcmservice.exe.html

                The fact that "Windows" is misspelled and that it says at the url above:

                "Some malware camouflage themselves as PCMService.exe,"

                makes me seriously think what you've got is a virus or trojan or other
                nasty thing. I am always leary of misspelled stuff (or obvious
                grammatical errors) as it is often a sign of spam or viruses. I'd run
                some virus checks and if you're not running behind a firewall, this
                could be a reminder that you need one and a good anti-virus program if
                you don't have one.

                --
                hth,
                alice ttlg

                Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
                http://www.populli.org/
                Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
                http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
              • Mike Breiding
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
                  alice ttlg wrote:
                  > The fact that "Windows" is misspelled and that it says at the url above:
                  >
                  > "Some malware camouflage themselves as PCMService.exe,"
                  >
                  > makes me seriously think what you've got is a virus or trojan or other
                  > nasty thing. I am always leary of misspelled stuff (or obvious
                  > grammatical errors) as it is often a sign of spam or viruses.
                  I feel the same and have been suspicious, but I could never detect
                  anything other than the error message popping up.
                  > I'd run
                  > some virus checks and if you're not running behind a firewall, this
                  > could be a reminder that you need one and a good anti-virus program if
                  > you don't have one.
                  I run ZoneAlarm and Spybot and have a hardware firewall which I hope is
                  adequate.
                  I simply cannot tolerate intrusive and slow AV software so I have
                  always relied on "safe computing" and firewalls to combat intrusions.

                  Thus far I have found nothing I can positively determine is anything
                  which has hacked it's way in.
                  -Mike
                • alice ttlg
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
                    On 6/2/08, Mike Breiding <mike@...> wrote:

                    > I run ZoneAlarm and Spybot and have a hardware firewall which I hope is
                    > adequate.
                    > I simply cannot tolerate intrusive and slow AV software so I have
                    > always relied on "safe computing" and firewalls to combat intrusions.

                    :) Everyone's experiences are different, even two identical PCs will
                    have different reactions! Zone Alarm has been awful for me every time
                    I've used on various PCs for the last few years, way too slow, uses
                    too much memory.

                    What worked for me is a hardware firewall and Avast anti-virus (I like
                    it better than Grisoft, that one always slowed the PC down too much
                    and too many popups, Avast always worked more quietly in the
                    background. Plus safe computing and all that.

                    Choice is a good thing so we can all find what works best for each of us!

                    > Thus far I have found nothing I can positively determine is anything
                    > which has hacked it's way in.

                    It might have come from a legit site that you visited that had been
                    hacked - the server I run my webhosting business on got hit a couple
                    years ago by a hacker thru a security hole in a php-based archiving
                    program. It managed to insert a footer on thousands of webpages on
                    more than just the initial customer's site. (That was a very late
                    night cleaning up that mess!) And a friend of mine, her site has
                    gotten hacked by a virus that infected her webpages (on a Linux server
                    run by a very large webhost who had no interest in fixing the
                    vulnerability on another customer's account and so her site and
                    everyone else's got infected). Often the infected part of the webpage
                    is not visible to the user or looks innocuous and it can be on a
                    reliable site you've visited before with no problems.

                    --
                    hth,
                    alice ttlg

                    Vox Populli, webhosting for fans
                    http://www.populli.org/
                    Glenfinnan, webhosting for everything else
                    http://www.glenfinnanhosting.com/
                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
                      A Dummy "Winidow"?

                      Jeff

                      Mike Breiding wrote:
                      > Greetings,
                      >
                      > I get this error message occasionally and have never been able to
                      > associate it with any particular action or application.
                      > Is it familiar to anyone?
                      >
                      > Here is a screen shot.
                      > http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > -Mike

                      Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                      ~~

                      "Proponents of each side are vying with determination to prove their ignorance is greater than the other."

                      President Andrew Jackson, discussing a bill going through the US Congress.

                      Visit http://ibssg.org/
                      For The Blacksheep website, MORE...

                      Putnam County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                      http://ingenweb.org/inputnam/bios/

                      Montgomery County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                      http://ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/bios/

                      Fountain County Indiana Biographies and Obituaries
                      http://ingenweb.org/infountain/vitals/bios/
                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
                        Mike Breiding wrote:
                        > MotoMania wrote:
                        >
                        >> I did a search on "pcmservice.exe" on google and one of the first I
                        >> found was:
                        >>
                        >> http://www.file.net/process/pcmservice.exe.html
                        >>
                        >> HTH! or at least gives an idea of where to start. Mick
                        >>

                        > This page gave me a place to start. Thanks!
                        > I used Spybot S&D tools to remove pcmservice.exe from the startup list,
                        > rebooted and it did not load.
                        > I am still unsure what the file does.
                        > The Media Direct Launch button still functions without it.
                        >
                        > -Mike

                        I think it was a malware process, since the word "Window" was misspelled.

                        Jeff

                        --

                        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                        ~~

                      • buralex@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                          Mike Breiding <mike@...> said on Jun 02, 2008 15:30
                          -0400 (in part):

                          > I get this error message occasionally and have never been able to
                          > associate it with any particular action or application.
                          > Is it familiar to anyone?
                          >
                          > Here is a screen shot.
                          > http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
                          Mike - from the following posts it sounds like it actually was a window
                          raised by something called "PCMservice.exe" and you've got it removed now.

                          For next time ...
                          Have you got Process Explorer (from Sysinternals) on your system? One of
                          many nice features it has, is a button on the toolbar which can be
                          dragged onto any window. When mouse is released Process Explorer window
                          is reshown with the owner of the window highlighted. If you double-click
                          the process line it opens a properties window which can show you amongst
                          other things the command-line used to start the task/process. This is
                          often a good head-start to determining what is going on.

                          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                        • Mike Breiding
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                            alice ttlg wrote:It might have come from a legit site that you visited
                            that had been
                            > hacked - the server I run my webhosting business on got hit a couple
                            > years ago by a hacker thru a security hole in a php-based archiving
                            > program. It managed to insert a footer on thousands of webpages on
                            > more than just the initial customer's site. (That was a very late
                            > night cleaning up that mess!)

                            Makes me queasy just thinking about that!!
                            So far, my only hijack has been page defacement of index files due to my
                            improperly setting file permission.
                            The substituted page was Pakistani propaganda as I recall. I got lucky
                            nothing worse happened.

                            Thanks,
                            -Mike
                          • Mike Breiding
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                              Jeff Scism wrote:
                              > I think it was a malware process, since the word "Window" was misspelled.

                              Hi Jeff,
                              I have been thinking that way also since it first appeared.
                              But, how can I verify that?
                              When I choose "OK" or "Cancel" on the dialog box, nothing obvious seems
                              to happen.
                              Since I removed it yesterday from the Startup list it has not shown back
                              up in the Processes list.

                              -Mike
                            • Mike Breiding
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                                buralex@... wrote:
                                > Mike Breiding <mike@...> said on Jun 02, 2008 15:30
                                > -0400 (in part):
                                >
                                >> I get this error message occasionally and have never been able to
                                >> associate it with any particular action or application.
                                >> Is it familiar to anyone?
                                >>
                                >> Here is a screen shot.
                                >> http://mbreiding.us/temp/error.jpg
                                >>
                                > Mike - from the following posts it sounds like it actually was a window
                                > raised by something called "PCMservice.exe" and you've got it removed now.

                                I think so as well. Time will tell.
                                > For next time ...
                                > Have you got Process Explorer (from Sysinternals) on your system?<TRIM>

                                Just downloaded. Very handy!
                                Thanks,
                                -Mike