Re: [NTO] Blockquote

  • phil
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 21, 2000
      Thanks Jody - - That was just what I wanted- Looks great.

      Phil E

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
        phil wrote:

        > I want to
        > "Justify" right and left, insteade of just left.
        >
        > Can I do that? How?

        Rather than replacing every <p> tag, you can use:
        <DIV align="justify">
        right after your <H3>GH-11</H3> and then put the closing </DIV> after
        the last paragraph. Everything between the <DIV> tags gets justified (or
        centered or whatever you want.)

        Emmett Hawkins
      • J. Michael Mollohan
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
          Phil wrote:
          > >Some smart guy please go to www.comnett.net/~phil/gh11.html

          Jody responded:

          > >and look at this chapter of my E-book and see if I can " Justify" the
          > >text below "GH-11" (a fourth of the way down on the left)
          >
          > <H4 ALIGN="justify">This particular little bit is NOT part of this chapter
          in the book. It was added to explain what YOU are seeing....</H4>

          > <BR><BR>
          >
          > Add the ALIGN="justify" to every opening paragraph tag.
          >
          > find <P> and replace with <P ALIGN="justify">
          >
          > <H3>GH-11</H3>
          >
          > <P ALIGN="justify"><FONT face="Arial">
          > I want to go back and talk about building again, for a little bit.....</P>

          From what I understand, tage like <CENTER> and <FONT> and the ALIGN
          parameter of the Header tags have been deprecated by the w3c and will
          eventually be dropped. A better, and easier method would be to use
          stylesheets or XML. A simple method, one that I use quite frequently is:

          <!--

          body { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
          font-size: 9pt;
          color: #000044;
          margin-top: 20px;
          background-image: url(nb.jpg)}

          P { font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
          font-size: 9pt;
          color: #000044;
          text-align: justify;
          text-indent: 3em}

          H3 {font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
          color: red;
          text-decoration: bold;
          text-align: center;
          font-size: 12pt }

          H4 {font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
          color: brown;
          text-decoration: bold;
          font-size: 14pt }
          -->

          Note in the P(aragraph) tag, the text-align parameter is set to "justify"
          which is what Phil was wanting to do. It also has a 3 em indent specified
          for every paragraph.

          The H3 tag specifies 12 point, bold red text, centered. This is a simple
          way to handle chapter and section headers and headlines, etc. Stylesheets
          rule!

          HTH

          Michael
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
            Hi Michael,

            >From what I understand, tage like <CENTER> and <FONT> and the
            >ALIGN parameter of the Header tags have been deprecated by the
            >w3c and will eventually be dropped. A better, and easier method
            >would be to use stylesheets or XML. A simple method, one that I
            >use quite frequently is:

            While I agree that one day we may be forced to use style sheets
            for certain things, I find, for beginners, they extremely
            difficult to learn. I find them quite difficult myself still to
            understand and definitely a lot harder to use than <CENTER> and
            <FONT>. I am very sorry that some committee took it upon itself
            to try to get rid of them. I hope the main browsers override
            them and keep supporting it.

            cya,
            Jody

            Bradley's Bromide:

            If computers get too powerful, we can organize
            them into a committee -- that will do them in.
          • Red Leader
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
              Jody wrote:
              > While I agree that one day we may be forced to use style sheets
              > for certain things, I find, for beginners, they extremely
              > difficult to learn. I find them quite difficult myself still to
              > understand and definitely a lot harder to use than <CENTER> and
              > <FONT>. I am very sorry that some committee took it upon itself
              > to try to get rid of them. I hope the main browsers override
              > them and keep supporting it.

              I like style sheets, you can do so much more with them and make pages
              look so much nicer than using HTML "hacks". Saying "margin-left: 1in;
              margin-right:1in" is a lot easier than trying to write tables to get
              margins on the page. The reason I don't use them more is because they're
              not backwards compatible. Pages that look beautiful on the latest
              versions of NS and IE look awful on a 3.0 browser. Maybe someday
              everyone will have upgraded to a decent browser but for now we're stuck
              using the HTML layout tags.

              I wouldn't badmouth the W3C too much. While I agree that the major
              browsers should continue to support HTML 4.0, I think that separating
              the content from the layout is a good idea and eventually should make
              things run much smoother. Also, the main browsers are really the ones
              who decide how pages are written, the W3C just makes recommendations.
              People write pages to be compatible with the majority of web users, not
              based on W3C specs.

              There's my $0.02, for what it's worth. :-)

              Emmett Hawkins
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                Hi Emmett,

                >I like style sheets, you can do so much more with them and make
                >pages look so much nicer than using HTML "hacks". Saying "margin-
                >left: 1in; margin-right:1in" is a lot easier than trying to write
                >tables to get margins on the page. The reason I don't use them
                >more is because they're not backwards compatible. Pages that look
                >beautiful on the latest versions of NS and IE look awful on a 3.0
                >browser. Maybe someday everyone will have upgraded to a decent
                >browser but for now we're stuck using the HTML layout tags.

                I agree that some things are easier, especially for the web
                authors that do it on a daily basis, but for the beginners and
                those with no programming experience CSS can be extremely
                confusing.

                >I wouldn't badmouth the W3C too much.

                I really try hard not too, believe it or not and do understand
                they are trying to get some order to the whole mess. It seems to
                me they make some things more difficult than it needs to be
                though and they seem to have no regards for the beginner or
                weekend hobbyist HTMLers. But as you implied - M$/IE are going
                to do whatever pleases them and could care less about anybody else.

                I appreciate your two cents. ;)

                Happy HTML'n!
                Jody

                http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                The NoteTab and Html List...
                mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
              • Scott Fordin
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                  > I like style sheets, you can do so much more with them and make pages
                  > look so much nicer than using HTML "hacks". Saying "margin-left: 1in;
                  > margin-right:1in" is a lot easier than trying to write tables to get
                  > margins on the page. The reason I don't use them more is because they're
                  > not backwards compatible. Pages that look beautiful on the latest
                  > versions of NS and IE look awful on a 3.0 browser. Maybe someday
                  > everyone will have upgraded to a decent browser but for now we're stuck
                  > using the HTML layout tags.

                  As alluded above, the thing to remember about stylesheets is that you
                  still need to make your base code look good in case the stylesheet is
                  unavailable, or the reader's browser can't handle it, or if the reader has
                  disabled stylesheets in their browser. To say it another way, your code --
                  as with all program code -- should be able to fail gracefully.

                  > Also, the main browsers are really the ones
                  > who decide how pages are written, the W3C just makes recommendations.
                  > People write pages to be compatible with the majority of web users, not
                  > based on W3C specs.

                  Ah, there's rub: the "recommendations" promulgated by the W3C are intended
                  to inculcate cross-platform, cross-browser compatibility -- a.k.a. "open
                  standards." Proprietary extensions to HTML and XML are evil and should be
                  resisted at all costs! Microsoft is notorious about pushing proprietary
                  extensions (yes, Netscape has done it also, but not as much, especially
                  not lately), and then embedding those extensions in their authoring tools.
                  This is clearly an effort to usurp the HTML (and now XML) standards. If
                  you own HTML/XML, then you own ecommerce, data warehousing, distributed
                  applications, and suchlike. Can you say Microsoft.NET?

                  Scott
                • Red Leader
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                    Scott Fordin wrote:

                    > As alluded above, the thing to remember about stylesheets is that you
                    > still need to make your base code look good in case the stylesheet is
                    > unavailable, or the reader's browser can't handle it, or if the reader has
                    > disabled stylesheets in their browser. To say it another way, your code --
                    > as with all program code -- should be able to fail gracefully.

                    Yes, this is what I try to do, use stylesheets as much as possible but
                    make sure it still looks decent on an older browser. Unfortunately, this
                    prevents using stylesheets to their maximum potential. For example, you
                    can't define fonts using both HTML and stylesheets. Well, I guess you
                    can but the results probably won't be pretty.

                    > Ah, there's rub: the "recommendations" promulgated by the W3C are intended
                    > to inculcate cross-platform, cross-browser compatibility -- a.k.a. "open
                    > standards." Proprietary extensions to HTML and XML are evil and should be
                    > resisted at all costs! Microsoft is notorious about pushing proprietary
                    > extensions (yes, Netscape has done it also, but not as much, especially
                    > not lately), and then embedding those extensions in their authoring tools.
                    > This is clearly an effort to usurp the HTML (and now XML) standards.

                    I would agree to a point. I don't think one organization should have
                    absolute control over how software is written. Some of the extensions
                    Netscape added eventually became part of the standard, because they were
                    good ones. It would like to see all browsers be 100% compatible with the
                    standard. Then if they want to add extensions that's fine, as long as
                    people know they're the only ones that support them. Right now, most
                    browsers don't even fully support the standard, so cross-platform,
                    cross-browser compatibility is a joke.

                    And before we knock M$ too much (I've done my share!) I will say that
                    they're a lot better about supporting stylesheets than Netscape was/is.

                    Emmett
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                      Hi Emmett,

                      >Rather than replacing every <p> tag, you can use:
                      ><DIV align="justify">
                      >right after your <H3>GH-11</H3> and then put the closing </DIV> after
                      >the last paragraph. Everything between the <DIV> tags gets justified (or
                      >centered or whatever you want.)

                      Will that work in all cases? I have noticed when I try to do
                      "global" tags like that they sometimes quit when I add certain
                      code below it and do not go through the whole doc. I prefer
                      doing it that way myself with everything I can get away with
                      instead of doing it to all paragraphs like FONT, etc. It seems
                      so redundant to keep adding the same code over and over.

                      Thanks!
                      Jody

                      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                      mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                    • Red Leader
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                        Jody wrote:

                        > Will that work in all cases? I have noticed when I try to do
                        > "global" tags like that they sometimes quit when I add certain
                        > code below it and do not go through the whole doc. I prefer
                        > doing it that way myself with everything I can get away with
                        > instead of doing it to all paragraphs like FONT, etc. It seems
                        > so redundant to keep adding the same code over and over.

                        Thanks for bringing this up. To be honest, I don't know. I haven't had
                        real great success using the <DIV> tag in the past. I tried it on Phil's
                        page before I sent that post to make sure it worked. As you say, it
                        would sure be nice if it worked, but I'm not sure that it always does.
                        Anyone else have any thoughts on why this is?

                        Emmett
                      • phil
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 22, 2000
                          Well, it sure works good on my book. Easy fast and great.

                          Phil E.