Looking for a replacement for a Windows widget

    Message 1 of 3 , May 24, 2008
      Hi!

      I don't know what it's called, so I can't even search for it. The
      window that pops up when you Alt+Tab. If you have several instances
      of the same program it's hard to see which is which. Yeah, the text
      on the title row is down below, but I find it a little hard to read
      and above all it makes switching windows slow. It's actually faster
      to look at the buttons on the task bar. Has anyone seen a replacement
      for this thing? Oh yes, what is it called?

      Lotta
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2008
        loro <loro-spam01-@...> said on May 24, 2008 20:42 -0400 (in part):
        > I don't know what it's called, so I can't even search for it. The
        > window that pops up when you Alt+Tab. If you have several instances
        > of the same program it's hard to see which is which. Yeah, the text
        > on the title row is down below, but I find it a little hard to read
        > and above all it makes switching windows slow. It's actually faster
        > to look at the buttons on the task bar. Has anyone seen a replacement
        > for this thing?
        Hi Lotta:
        I think there are number of them around. Google (w/o quotes) alt tab
        replacement
        Top of the list is one from WinXP power toys (free)

        The one I'm familiar with ('cause I was involved in beta-testing) is
        Alt-Tab-It from PCMag.
        http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1912377,00.asp?kc=PCZD10510TTX1K0001031
        btw: PC Mag Utilities used to be free until a couple of years ago. Now
        they are around $8 each or $15 for a year's subscription which allows
        downloading of their entire back list and any new ones (approx 1-month)
        during the coming year.
        > Oh yes, what is it called?
        In the article its referred to as "Alt?" which doesn't make it easy to
        Google for ;-)

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

        Message 3 of 3 , May 24, 2008
          Alec wrote:
          >I think there are number of them around. Google (w/o quotes) alt tab
          >replacement

          What quotes? ;-o) Duh. That simple... Found a lot and they all looked
          the same, so I settled on this free one to start with (link below).
          But it seems good, is mall and very customizable. Once I got rid of
          all the shadows and things it looked nice, so I'll probably stick with it.

          <http://www.ntwind.com/software/taskswitchxp.html?>

          Thanks!