Re: [NTO] A very simple question about XP and Vista

  • Ben B
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2008
      On 2008-05-11 09:19:46 Bruce Meyers wrote regarding; "[NTO] A very simple question about XP and Vista"

      > Can I download SP3 for Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro on the
      > laptop runnning Vista? If I just download and save I should be able
      > to transfer a file from the laptop to one of the desktops and then
      > run it there.

      Here's the link to the download page where you can do just that:

      http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

      It's 316.4MB.

      HTH
      Ben
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2008
        XP (home or pro) is an operating system - just as Vista is.

        If you simply install XP on your laptop, you will lose Vista. (It is
        probably possible to install XP as a second operating system, alongside
        Vista, but that wouldn't be trivial by any means.) You will also need to
        start from scratch with finding all the drivers needed for your laptop,
        because some of the drivers you have now might not be backwards compatible
        with XP. You will also need to purchase a licence for XP, if you don't have
        a spare one hanging around.

        My understanding is that Vista is supposed to be reasonably cross-compatible
        with XP. What is the specific problem you're having with using files from
        the XP machines on the Vista machine?

        Regards, Dave S

        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2008
          Bruce Meyers wrote:

          > My question is this: Can I download SP3 for Windows XP Home or Windows
          > XP Pro on the laptop runnning Vista? If I just download and save I
          > should be able to transfer a file from the laptop to one of the
          > desktops and then run it there. It would seem to be okay as long as I
          > don't try to use an XP file on a Vista computer.

          Another link, this time to download the ISO-image for SP3 so that you
          can burn an update CD.

          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displaylang=en

          Please note that you do not burn an ISO image in the "normal" way, but
          modern burning programs (mostly) have a special option for burning ISO
          images.

          You also asked about sites for sites for questions re Windows. There are
          a lot. Apart from exploring Microsoft itself, you can try for instance:

          www.bleepingcomputer.com

          But there are a lot more.

          Cheers,
          Gerard

          --
          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2008
            Hi
            yes you can download SP2,SP3 burn to CD or USB stik take home and install at
            will from the site below. http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html
            there are other things there to.
            THANKYOU DAVE M