A very simple question about XP and Vista

  • Bruce Meyers
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2008
      I have three computers - two desktops - one with XP Home and one
      with XP Pro. I have a laptop with Vista. Both of the desktops have
      very slow dial-up connections. I can take the laptop to a few places
      with free WiFi and get a good fast connection.

      My question is this: Can I download SP3 for Windows XP Home or Windows
      XP Pro on the laptop runnning Vista? If I just download and save I
      should be able to transfer a file from the laptop to one of the
      desktops and then run it there. It would seem to be okay as long as I
      don't try to use an XP file on a Vista computer.

      This may be a dumb question, but I don't know where else to ask it but
      to you knowledgeable NoteTabers. There may be an answer in the
      Knowledge Base at Microsoft, but I don't know how to ask the question
      there.

      Do you know a good site for asking questions like this?
    • K B
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2008
        It's been a while since I have done this, but I believe you can use
        the Administrator options at
        http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
        and download the updates from there

        Karen

        On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Bruce Meyers <oldguy1166@...> wrote:

        > My question is this: Can I download SP3 for Windows XP Home or Windows
        > XP Pro on the laptop runnning Vista?
      • Ben B
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2008
          On 2008-05-11 09:19:46 Bruce Meyers wrote regarding; "[NTO] A very simple question about XP and Vista"

          > Can I download SP3 for Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro on the
          > laptop runnning Vista? If I just download and save I should be able
          > to transfer a file from the laptop to one of the desktops and then
          > run it there.

          Here's the link to the download page where you can do just that:

          http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

          It's 316.4MB.

          HTH
          Ben
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2008
            XP (home or pro) is an operating system - just as Vista is.

            If you simply install XP on your laptop, you will lose Vista. (It is
            probably possible to install XP as a second operating system, alongside
            Vista, but that wouldn't be trivial by any means.) You will also need to
            start from scratch with finding all the drivers needed for your laptop,
            because some of the drivers you have now might not be backwards compatible
            with XP. You will also need to purchase a licence for XP, if you don't have
            a spare one hanging around.

            My understanding is that Vista is supposed to be reasonably cross-compatible
            with XP. What is the specific problem you're having with using files from
            the XP machines on the Vista machine?

            Regards, Dave S

            >I have three computers - two desktops - one with XP Home and one
            > with XP Pro. I have a laptop with Vista. Both of the desktops have
            > very slow dial-up connections. I can take the laptop to a few places
            > with free WiFi and get a good fast connection.
            >
            > My question is this: Can I download SP3 for Windows XP Home or Windows
            > XP Pro on the laptop runnning Vista? If I just download and save I
            > should be able to transfer a file from the laptop to one of the
            > desktops and then run it there. It would seem to be okay as long as I
            > don't try to use an XP file on a Vista computer.
            >
            > This may be a dumb question, but I don't know where else to ask it but
            > to you knowledgeable NoteTabers. There may be an answer in the
            > Knowledge Base at Microsoft, but I don't know how to ask the question
            > there.
            >
            > Do you know a good site for asking questions like this?

          • Gerard Huijing
            Message 5 of 6 , May 12, 2008
              Bruce Meyers wrote:

              > My question is this: Can I download SP3 for Windows XP Home or Windows
              > XP Pro on the laptop runnning Vista? If I just download and save I
              > should be able to transfer a file from the laptop to one of the
              > desktops and then run it there. It would seem to be okay as long as I
              > don't try to use an XP file on a Vista computer.

              Another link, this time to download the ISO-image for SP3 so that you
              can burn an update CD.

              http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displaylang=en

              Please note that you do not burn an ISO image in the "normal" way, but
              modern burning programs (mostly) have a special option for burning ISO
              images.

              You also asked about sites for sites for questions re Windows. There are
              a lot. Apart from exploring Microsoft itself, you can try for instance:

              www.bleepingcomputer.com

              But there are a lot more.

              Cheers,
              Gerard

              --
              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
              2312 ZD Leiden
              Message 6 of 6 , May 12, 2008
                Hi
                yes you can download SP2,SP3 burn to CD or USB stik take home and install at
                will from the site below. http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html
                there are other things there to.
                THANKYOU DAVE M