Safari problem

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2008
      In my design http://fdp-odenthal.de I had the main headline line up
      with the central column below. This line-up was defined using an em
      width and was kept regardless of the font size. If the reader was to
      make the size smaller than standard it began to overlap the image on
      the left, but I disregarded that, as it made the text illegible
      anyway, and catered for those with non-perfect eyesight and bigger
      fonts. (This includes me. I grudgingly went with the crowd and
      dubious majority taste in making standard text smaller than 100 %,
      but in my own browsers I forbid such tampering and would not use it
      in designs where I am the arbiter.)

      Now a problem arose with Apple, whose standard em is 12 pixels, not
      16. I have now placed the headline at a fixed pixel position, but am
      not happy. My inclination is to tell those arrogant Appleistas to go
      stuff themselves, but the boss is one of them.

      I have often missed a declaration like "take 12em or 145px whichever
      is bigger" in CSS. A combination of a size plus a min size is only
      defined for width and height, not, unfortunately for e.g. padding.
      Has anyone got an idea how to achieve that, i.e. set a left padding
      of 12 em with a minimum of 145 px?

      Or alternatively is there any way of targeting Safari in a CSS?
      There dozens for IE, but none for Safari it seems.

      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
        Hi
        I would put <center>xxxxxx</center> it is old fashioned but the text stays
        in the center no matter how wide the page is.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > with the central column below. This line-up was defined using an em
        > width and was kept regardless of the font size. If the reader was to
        > make the size smaller than standard it began to overlap the image on
        > the left, but I disregarded that, as it made the text illegible
        > anyway, and catered for those with non-perfect eyesight and bigger
        > fonts. (This includes me. I grudgingly went with the crowd and
        > dubious majority taste in making standard text smaller than 100 %,
        > but in my own browsers I forbid such tampering and would not use it
        > in designs where I am the arbiter.)
        >
        > Now a problem arose with Apple, whose standard em is 12 pixels, not
        > 16. I have now placed the headline at a fixed pixel position, but am
        > not happy. My inclination is to tell those arrogant Appleistas to go
        > stuff themselves, but the boss is one of them.
        >
        > I have often missed a declaration like "take 12em or 145px whichever
        > is bigger" in CSS. A combination of a size plus a min size is only
        > defined for width and height, not, unfortunately for e.g. padding.
        > Has anyone got an idea how to achieve that, i.e. set a left padding
        > of 12 em with a minimum of 145 px?
        >
        > Or alternatively is there any way of targeting Safari in a CSS?
        > There dozens for IE, but none for Safari it seems.
        >
        > Axel
        >
        > --
        > Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68

      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
          Have you tried "text-align: center ;" on the relevant element? Much
          preferred to using a deprecated tag.

          As to text sizing . . . take a look at these solutions:

          http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/index.html#screens

          http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309991

          I'm not doing much designing lately to know your Safari answer but I
          bet you'd find one over at SitePoint.

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
            sisterscape wrote:
            > Have you tried "text-align: center ;" on the relevant element?

            No, I don't want it centered. But I've solved it with a script.
            Unscripted users with a tiny default font size have to suffer a
            little ugliness without any loss of functionality. I suppose I can
            live with that.

            Should anyone be interested:
            http://fdp-odenthal.de

            In Mozilla try changing font size up and down
            (<Ctrl><+>,<Ctrl><->,<Ctrl><0> for default) with and (for small
            fonts) without script.

            At the same time I have solved the fixed menu. (Scroll down a little
            and than make the window smaller until it wouldn't fit anymore.) It
            always worked for all font sizes but could not recognize zooming in
            Opera and IE7 so that zoomed content could get too big for the
            window and stuff ended up behind the menu. Now it can.

            But still thanks for your input.

            Danke
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2008
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > In Mozilla try changing font size up and down

              Addendum: Don't forget to reload. Resizing the window triggers the
              script, but changing the font size and zooming don't.