Re: [NTO] Screen Resolutions

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 25 7:14 PM
      800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.

      --- alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:

      > On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
      > > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On
      > non-Windows
      > > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.
      >
      > Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
      > screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
      > lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
      > it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
      >
      > --
      > hth,
      > alice ttlg

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 26 2:34 AM
        My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past, it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
        --
        hth,
        alice ttlg

        800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.
        sisterscape

        Interesting. I wonder if that has changed. I used to test for the "standard resolutions" 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 and select the page to be displayed on that basis.

        Then, while visiting a friend who had a MAC G4 Powerbook, I found that she was seeing the (default) version for 800x600 although she had a screen width more than 1200. I've forgotten what the height was, but I now test for the width only - as I should have from the beginning - and I check for ranges, not specific values.

        I will stick to that of course, even if others have adopted the Windows standard resolutions.

        Sorry to have caused any confusion.

        Bruce
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 26 3:48 AM
          bruce.somers@... wrote:
          > I will stick to that of course,

          Well some paople are totally resistant to any advice. But I maintain
          that Lotta

          > I never surf with a maximized browser window. Unless the site
          > forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little grumpy.

          and sisterscape

          > I know many people who don't keep their browsers maximized.
          > Personally, fixed width sites drive me nuts!

          among several others have put the main point very well.

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 26 3:58 AM
            Addendum:

            Just as a hint of what I have found to be reasonable values: I limit
            all single column designs to a max-width of 42em by default and set
            lengthy texts to a max-width of 34em or up to 38em, if there are
            many lists, blockquotes or other items shortening the lines.

            Your preferences may vary, but I think these values are about the
            right ballpark. (An em is much wider than the average letter in a
            line.) Also note that the correct unit in these cases has nothing to
            do with pixels and thus little to do with screen resolutions. These
            may do well for graphics, but line length for text should respect
            the reader's choice of an agreeable fontsize.