Re: [NTO] Screen Resolutions

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
      loro wrote:
      > And then I get a little grumpy.

      That's our nice and level Lotta for you. For me being somewhat
      grumpy already at the best of times the reaction is on another
      scale.
      There is something else, best explained by a traffic simile. I don't
      mind so much if somebody cuts me off, squeezes in right in front of
      me or cuts in, when it's my right of way. I can see and more or less
      accept his reasons. What gets me going are those stupid and
      inconsiderate idiots who inconvenience me without the slightest
      benefit to themselves out of total disregard, like blocking two
      spaces with one car, blocking the overtaking lane while travelling
      at exactly the speed of the huge gap beside them or blocking cross
      traffic although they saw beforehand that they could not exit the
      crossroads that really get me going.
      What some site designers most explicitly show me is their total lack
      of regard and consideration for their readers. "Why should I care
      about you mate, take it or leave it, I couldn't care less. It works
      fine for ME on MY equipment and with MY eyesight - you go and stuff
      yourself." If that's what you want your visitors to see, fine, go
      right ahead. If not you might want to think again.

      Axel
    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
        800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

        Bruce

      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
          On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
          > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows
          > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

          Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
          screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
          lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
          it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.

          --
          hth,
          alice ttlg
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
            800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.

            --- alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:

            > On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
            > > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On
            > non-Windows
            > > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.
            >
            > Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
            > screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
            > lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
            > it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
            >
            > --
            > hth,
            > alice ttlg

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
              My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past, it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
              --
              hth,
              alice ttlg

              800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.
              sisterscape

              Interesting. I wonder if that has changed. I used to test for the "standard resolutions" 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 and select the page to be displayed on that basis.

              Then, while visiting a friend who had a MAC G4 Powerbook, I found that she was seeing the (default) version for 800x600 although she had a screen width more than 1200. I've forgotten what the height was, but I now test for the width only - as I should have from the beginning - and I check for ranges, not specific values.

              I will stick to that of course, even if others have adopted the Windows standard resolutions.

              Sorry to have caused any confusion.

              Bruce
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                bruce.somers@... wrote:
                > I will stick to that of course,

                Well some paople are totally resistant to any advice. But I maintain
                that Lotta

                > I never surf with a maximized browser window. Unless the site
                > forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little grumpy.

                and sisterscape

                > I know many people who don't keep their browsers maximized.
                > Personally, fixed width sites drive me nuts!

                among several others have put the main point very well.

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                  Addendum:

                  Just as a hint of what I have found to be reasonable values: I limit
                  all single column designs to a max-width of 42em by default and set
                  lengthy texts to a max-width of 34em or up to 38em, if there are
                  many lists, blockquotes or other items shortening the lines.

                  Your preferences may vary, but I think these values are about the
                  right ballpark. (An em is much wider than the average letter in a
                  line.) Also note that the correct unit in these cases has nothing to
                  do with pixels and thus little to do with screen resolutions. These
                  may do well for graphics, but line length for text should respect
                  the reader's choice of an agreeable fontsize.