Re: [NTO] Screen Resolutions

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
      Hello Alex,

      Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry I didn't see them before I replied to
      Greg and sisterscape.

      <<No you can't! What you can and should do is adapt your design to the window
      and font size your viewers prefer and *respect their
      preferences*>>

      If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution is very low
      (below ten percent), then I am willing to convert to 1024x768. The only
      inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors will be that they will
      be required to scroll horizontally. Do you see any other "cost" to them? I
      expect most of those people will be upgrading their equipment in the normal
      course of events. I don't think any or many new users are coming online with
      low resolution monitors. BTW, we have some very impatient members on our exec
      committee who are much less accommodative than I am. As webmaster, it is up to
      me to implement our collective decision, but I must respect the strong
      opinions of some of these other people.

      <<Two places you ought to go to are:
      http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/
      http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/jello.html

      Many thanks for those links. The nearly blank screen provided by the default
      view on the "Site in an hour" website is certainly novel. It nearly threw me
      until I noticed the tiny icons in the lower right corner of the screen. Like
      Greg, maybe I'm older than I feel. I don't appreciate telephone numbers or
      calendar dates that use periods for the numeral separators. I'm not
      comfortable with Help systems like those in Adobe Acrobat where one cannot see
      a detailed table of contents. I also don't like the blank screen approach of
      "Site in an hour". Thankfully, the site does provide an easy alternate way to
      view it in conventional mode.

      <<That said my commented sample at
      http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm has two example
      scripts querying the window size.>>

      I literally fell on the floor laughing at your legal notice. Wonderful bit of
      prose!

      << You will predominantly log dumbasses in fullscreen with no sense for
      security. Savvy users, who often have several windows open at the same time
      (typical minimal example is an editor and browsing for data and references),
      will also keep their Javascript firmly turned off in many cases.>>

      That describes many of my constituents. Not much I can do about that. Thanks
      for the JavaScript example. And yes, I fully agree in endorsing NoteTab as an
      excellent editor.

      Ray Shapp
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
        Hi Axel,

        << If I could have a wish it would be that browsers would all stop guessing at
        invalid junk code and just show a "I can't display that mess" message
        instead.>>

        The message should say "I REFUSE TO display that mess".

        Thanks again for your help.

        Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          >If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution is very low
          >(below ten percent), then I am willing to convert to 1024x768. The only
          >inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors will be that they will
          >be required to scroll horizontally

          Not really. I happen to use your target resolution 1024x768 (not for
          much longer, I hope). I never surf with a maximized browser window.
          Unless the site forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little
          grumpy. When I get a larger screen, I'll probably use about the same
          size browser window that I use now and have more room for other things.

          It isn't about resolution. It's about window size. OK, the resolution
          sets the upper boundaries but that's all.

          Lotta
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
            Just to reiterate what others have said, It's the window size that counts,
            not the screen size.

            I always run browsers and e-mailers at about 800 to 900 wide, even though my
            two screens are each 1280 wide. I want to do other things on the screens
            too.

            Sites that require horizontal scrolling or a move to full screen are a pain,
            and I visit them as infrequently as I can.

            If you want to keep all your visitors, then allow people to comfortably run
            screens of 800 wide. If you don't, then the people you lose will probably
            be the ones you most wished to keep in the first place.

            Regards, Dave S

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
              Ray Shapp wrote:
              > If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution
              > is very low (below ten percent), then I am willing to convert

              It seems you missed the main point. It is irrelevant how big their
              screen is, the only relevant point is how big they prefer their
              browser window to be.

              > The only inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors
              > will be that they will be required to scroll horizontally.

              The result of that with many three column layouts is, that I never
              get see the right column. Please remember only to place additional
              extra information there, never anything essential.

              > Do you see any other "cost" to them?

              Rising blood pressure?

              > The nearly blank screen provided by the default
              > view on the "Site in an hour" website is certainly novel.

              So you go browsing with scripting on by default? I hope you know
              what you're doing but it certainly is a rather careless attitude to
              safety.

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                loro wrote:
                > And then I get a little grumpy.

                That's our nice and level Lotta for you. For me being somewhat
                grumpy already at the best of times the reaction is on another
                scale.
                There is something else, best explained by a traffic simile. I don't
                mind so much if somebody cuts me off, squeezes in right in front of
                me or cuts in, when it's my right of way. I can see and more or less
                accept his reasons. What gets me going are those stupid and
                inconsiderate idiots who inconvenience me without the slightest
                benefit to themselves out of total disregard, like blocking two
                spaces with one car, blocking the overtaking lane while travelling
                at exactly the speed of the huge gap beside them or blocking cross
                traffic although they saw beforehand that they could not exit the
                crossroads that really get me going.
                What some site designers most explicitly show me is their total lack
                of regard and consideration for their readers. "Why should I care
                about you mate, take it or leave it, I couldn't care less. It works
                fine for ME on MY equipment and with MY eyesight - you go and stuff
                yourself." If that's what you want your visitors to see, fine, go
                right ahead. If not you might want to think again.

                Axel
              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                  800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

                  Bruce

                • alice ttlg
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                    On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
                    > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows
                    > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

                    Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
                    screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
                    lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
                    it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.

                    --
                    hth,
                    alice ttlg
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                      800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.

                      --- alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:

                      > On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
                      > > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On
                      > non-Windows
                      > > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.
                      >
                      > Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
                      > screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
                      > lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
                      > it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
                      >
                      > --
                      > hth,
                      > alice ttlg

                      Be a better friend, newshound, and
                    • bruce.somers@web.de
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                        My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past, it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
                        --
                        hth,
                        alice ttlg

                        800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.
                        sisterscape

                        Interesting. I wonder if that has changed. I used to test for the "standard resolutions" 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 and select the page to be displayed on that basis.

                        Then, while visiting a friend who had a MAC G4 Powerbook, I found that she was seeing the (default) version for 800x600 although she had a screen width more than 1200. I've forgotten what the height was, but I now test for the width only - as I should have from the beginning - and I check for ranges, not specific values.

                        I will stick to that of course, even if others have adopted the Windows standard resolutions.

                        Sorry to have caused any confusion.

                        Bruce
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                          bruce.somers@... wrote:
                          > I will stick to that of course,

                          Well some paople are totally resistant to any advice. But I maintain
                          that Lotta

                          > I never surf with a maximized browser window. Unless the site
                          > forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little grumpy.

                          and sisterscape

                          > I know many people who don't keep their browsers maximized.
                          > Personally, fixed width sites drive me nuts!

                          among several others have put the main point very well.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                            Addendum:

                            Just as a hint of what I have found to be reasonable values: I limit
                            all single column designs to a max-width of 42em by default and set
                            lengthy texts to a max-width of 34em or up to 38em, if there are
                            many lists, blockquotes or other items shortening the lines.

                            Your preferences may vary, but I think these values are about the
                            right ballpark. (An em is much wider than the average letter in a
                            line.) Also note that the correct unit in these cases has nothing to
                            do with pixels and thus little to do with screen resolutions. These
                            may do well for graphics, but line length for text should respect
                            the reader's choice of an agreeable fontsize.