Re: [NTO] Screen Resolutions

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
      Hi,

      On 24 Apr 08 17:05 sisterscape <sisterscape@...> said:
      > My vote goes to flexible width format.

      I agree! But I answered the way I did bcause I wanted to make the
      point that there are many who will still want to use a small window in
      spite of having a large screen. Additionally, "flexible width" is not
      always meaningful on a graphic intensive site, where images are more
      "fixed" than text in the way it reflows with changing window size.

      > Personally, fixed width sites drive me nuts!

      Agreed again, for the reasons above and in my previous post.

      Greg
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
        I agree with Greg.

        We have a script counter over at http://htmlfixit.com that will tell you
        screen resolutions of your visitors.

        We run it and even on our tech site, we still see some 800 x 600. But
        even when people can go wider, it exceeds the scan comfort of the human
        eye. There is a reason why newspapers and magazines have columns.

        Don with his 2 cents.

        Greg Chapman wrote:
        > Hi Ray,
        >
        > On 24 Apr 08 14:54 Ray Shapp <ras45@...> said:
        >> I'd be interested in knowing your opinions about that question in
        >> general.
        >
        > I'm still of the old fashioned school that says 800x600 is a
        > reasonable design size. It's not so much the screen/window size of
        > users that that is based on, but line length.
        >
        > Most people agree that a line length of 8-12 words is about right for
        > text. Your eyes tend to wander and find it difficult to locate the
        > next line if it's much more than that.
        >
        > So, if you have a multi-column design with adverts, menus, or trailers
        > for parts of the site, then 1024 may be acceptable, but if you use the
        > full window width for your body text then it is probably uncomfortably
        > long, unless you dfine a very large font.
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
          Hi Greg and sisterscape,

          Thank you for the quick replies.

          The website does not use full width for text. I have an index along the left
          margin and I devote 460 pixels to the right of that for all the rest of my
          content. The website was designed years ago for 800x600. I've already
          considered remaining with that limitation because I know that a significant
          number of our members will probably not operate their browsers in full screen.
          If I do change the design to 1024x768, my plan is to use the additional width
          for a third column of text and graphics unrelated to the content in the middle
          column.

          One other idea may be to place the index horizontally along the top of the
          screen. I can then use the space at left for a new second column of text and
          graphics.

          I've examined the raw log files provided by our hosting service, but I don't
          see screen resolutions in the logs. I asked the question here because I was
          hoping someone has a Java or CGI script that I could adopt for capturing
          screen resolutions into my own log file on the site.

          Firefox handles displayed font sizes much better than MSIE. In Firefox, text
          will wrap if I increase font size, but in MSIE, that causes the display to
          require horizontal scrolling.

          I'm looking at StatCounter ( http://www.statcounter.com/ ). They say they
          track screen resolutions.

          Thanks again for your help.

          Ray Shapp
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
            I tend to size by % width, so each user's settings determine how they
            see it. I also tend to remove hard breaks in paragraphs so they can wrap
            to width when the page size is readjusted by the user.

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
              Ray Shapp wrote:
              > Firefox handles displayed font sizes much better than MSIE.
              > In Firefox, text will wrap if I increase font size, but in
              > MSIE, that causes the display to require horizontal scrolling.

              You have to thank the current generation of "web designers" for
              that. School
              dropouts used to moonlight as backyard car mechanics, nowadays they
              fancy themselves as "designers" and it shows. Because user chosen
              text scaling is all too often suppressed by them the browser
              manufacturers (Opera and IE 7) in desperation chose to scale the
              screen instead. I have just found out how to detect that and am
              aiming to adjust my layout, but it can't be done in clean CSS ands
              will require schripting.

              I hate it, when I have to conform to idiots and not the other way
              round. If I could have a wish it would be that browsers would all
              stop guessing at invalid junk code and just show a "I can't display
              that mess" message instead.

              Axel
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                Hello Alex,

                Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry I didn't see them before I replied to
                Greg and sisterscape.

                <<No you can't! What you can and should do is adapt your design to the window
                and font size your viewers prefer and *respect their
                preferences*>>

                If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution is very low
                (below ten percent), then I am willing to convert to 1024x768. The only
                inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors will be that they will
                be required to scroll horizontally. Do you see any other "cost" to them? I
                expect most of those people will be upgrading their equipment in the normal
                course of events. I don't think any or many new users are coming online with
                low resolution monitors. BTW, we have some very impatient members on our exec
                committee who are much less accommodative than I am. As webmaster, it is up to
                me to implement our collective decision, but I must respect the strong
                opinions of some of these other people.

                <<Two places you ought to go to are:
                http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/
                http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/jello.html

                Many thanks for those links. The nearly blank screen provided by the default
                view on the "Site in an hour" website is certainly novel. It nearly threw me
                until I noticed the tiny icons in the lower right corner of the screen. Like
                Greg, maybe I'm older than I feel. I don't appreciate telephone numbers or
                calendar dates that use periods for the numeral separators. I'm not
                comfortable with Help systems like those in Adobe Acrobat where one cannot see
                a detailed table of contents. I also don't like the blank screen approach of
                "Site in an hour". Thankfully, the site does provide an easy alternate way to
                view it in conventional mode.

                <<That said my commented sample at
                http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm has two example
                scripts querying the window size.>>

                I literally fell on the floor laughing at your legal notice. Wonderful bit of
                prose!

                << You will predominantly log dumbasses in fullscreen with no sense for
                security. Savvy users, who often have several windows open at the same time
                (typical minimal example is an editor and browsing for data and references),
                will also keep their Javascript firmly turned off in many cases.>>

                That describes many of my constituents. Not much I can do about that. Thanks
                for the JavaScript example. And yes, I fully agree in endorsing NoteTab as an
                excellent editor.

                Ray Shapp
              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                  Hi Don,

                  Thanks for the reply.

                  Your home page opened ok, but I was unable to open any link from it. Your
                  resolution statistics, however, are quite instructive (see listing copied
                  below). If your numbers are representative of resolutions our club members
                  use, I will be surprised, but I will also be forced to begin converting our
                  website for 1024x768. My guess is that the sophistication of your average
                  visitor in the field of computer usage is quite different from that of my
                  visitors. If resolutions are truly being captured by your scripts, then I
                  would very much like to deploy them on my site for a while.

                  Your comment about the new Microsoft XLSX file format and their compatibility
                  pack mirrors my experience almost exactly. On two separate machines running
                  Office 2003, the compatibility pack worked flawlessly on one machine and
                  failed with no explanation on the other. My temporary solution was to request
                  another copy of the file in the old format.

                  Ray Shapp

                  Resolution Statistics
                  640 x 480 0.02%
                  800 x 600 2.62%
                  1024 x 768 33.52%
                  1152 x 864 3.49%
                  1280 x 800 17.17%
                  1280 x 854 0.37%
                  1280 x 1024 32.55%
                  1400 x 1050 2.12%
                  1600 x 1200 3.66%
                  1920 x 1200 4.28%
                  2560 x 1024 0.19%

                  ***********************************

                  February 15th, 2008 by Don

                  So I find that Microsoft has once again decided to switch things up in the
                  Excel world with the xlsx file format. Why would you not build in backwards
                  compatibility? Because you choose to make it inconvenient in hopes of forcing
                  people to buy your new product? Fortunately they do have a tool to allow you
                  to open the new format in your "old" program. However to use it you need to
                  update your Microsoft environment and even in this age they FORCE you to use
                  Internet Explorer.
                • Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                    Hi Axel,

                    << If I could have a wish it would be that browsers would all stop guessing at
                    invalid junk code and just show a "I can't display that mess" message
                    instead.>>

                    The message should say "I REFUSE TO display that mess".

                    Thanks again for your help.

                    Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                      Ray Shapp wrote:
                      >If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution is very low
                      >(below ten percent), then I am willing to convert to 1024x768. The only
                      >inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors will be that they will
                      >be required to scroll horizontally

                      Not really. I happen to use your target resolution 1024x768 (not for
                      much longer, I hope). I never surf with a maximized browser window.
                      Unless the site forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little
                      grumpy. When I get a larger screen, I'll probably use about the same
                      size browser window that I use now and have more room for other things.

                      It isn't about resolution. It's about window size. OK, the resolution
                      sets the upper boundaries but that's all.

                      Lotta
                    • David Smart
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                        Just to reiterate what others have said, It's the window size that counts,
                        not the screen size.

                        I always run browsers and e-mailers at about 800 to 900 wide, even though my
                        two screens are each 1280 wide. I want to do other things on the screens
                        too.

                        Sites that require horizontal scrolling or a move to full screen are a pain,
                        and I visit them as infrequently as I can.

                        If you want to keep all your visitors, then allow people to comfortably run
                        screens of 800 wide. If you don't, then the people you lose will probably
                        be the ones you most wished to keep in the first place.

                        Regards, Dave S

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                          Ray Shapp wrote:
                          > If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution
                          > is very low (below ten percent), then I am willing to convert

                          It seems you missed the main point. It is irrelevant how big their
                          screen is, the only relevant point is how big they prefer their
                          browser window to be.

                          > The only inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors
                          > will be that they will be required to scroll horizontally.

                          The result of that with many three column layouts is, that I never
                          get see the right column. Please remember only to place additional
                          extra information there, never anything essential.

                          > Do you see any other "cost" to them?

                          Rising blood pressure?

                          > The nearly blank screen provided by the default
                          > view on the "Site in an hour" website is certainly novel.

                          So you go browsing with scripting on by default? I hope you know
                          what you're doing but it certainly is a rather careless attitude to
                          safety.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                            loro wrote:
                            > And then I get a little grumpy.

                            That's our nice and level Lotta for you. For me being somewhat
                            grumpy already at the best of times the reaction is on another
                            scale.
                            There is something else, best explained by a traffic simile. I don't
                            mind so much if somebody cuts me off, squeezes in right in front of
                            me or cuts in, when it's my right of way. I can see and more or less
                            accept his reasons. What gets me going are those stupid and
                            inconsiderate idiots who inconvenience me without the slightest
                            benefit to themselves out of total disregard, like blocking two
                            spaces with one car, blocking the overtaking lane while travelling
                            at exactly the speed of the huge gap beside them or blocking cross
                            traffic although they saw beforehand that they could not exit the
                            crossroads that really get me going.
                            What some site designers most explicitly show me is their total lack
                            of regard and consideration for their readers. "Why should I care
                            about you mate, take it or leave it, I couldn't care less. It works
                            fine for ME on MY equipment and with MY eyesight - you go and stuff
                            yourself." If that's what you want your visitors to see, fine, go
                            right ahead. If not you might want to think again.

                            Axel
                          • bruce.somers@web.de
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                              800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

                              Bruce

                            • alice ttlg
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                                On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
                                > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows
                                > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

                                Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
                                screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
                                lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
                                it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.

                                --
                                hth,
                                alice ttlg
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                                  800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.

                                  --- alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:

                                  > On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
                                  > > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On
                                  > non-Windows
                                  > > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.
                                  >
                                  > Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
                                  > screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
                                  > lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
                                  > it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > hth,
                                  > alice ttlg

                                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                • bruce.somers@web.de
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                                    My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past, it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
                                    --
                                    hth,
                                    alice ttlg

                                    800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.
                                    sisterscape

                                    Interesting. I wonder if that has changed. I used to test for the "standard resolutions" 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 and select the page to be displayed on that basis.

                                    Then, while visiting a friend who had a MAC G4 Powerbook, I found that she was seeing the (default) version for 800x600 although she had a screen width more than 1200. I've forgotten what the height was, but I now test for the width only - as I should have from the beginning - and I check for ranges, not specific values.

                                    I will stick to that of course, even if others have adopted the Windows standard resolutions.

                                    Sorry to have caused any confusion.

                                    Bruce
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                                      bruce.somers@... wrote:
                                      > I will stick to that of course,

                                      Well some paople are totally resistant to any advice. But I maintain
                                      that Lotta

                                      > I never surf with a maximized browser window. Unless the site
                                      > forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little grumpy.

                                      and sisterscape

                                      > I know many people who don't keep their browsers maximized.
                                      > Personally, fixed width sites drive me nuts!

                                      among several others have put the main point very well.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                                        Addendum:

                                        Just as a hint of what I have found to be reasonable values: I limit
                                        all single column designs to a max-width of 42em by default and set
                                        lengthy texts to a max-width of 34em or up to 38em, if there are
                                        many lists, blockquotes or other items shortening the lines.

                                        Your preferences may vary, but I think these values are about the
                                        right ballpark. (An em is much wider than the average letter in a
                                        line.) Also note that the correct unit in these cases has nothing to
                                        do with pixels and thus little to do with screen resolutions. These
                                        may do well for graphics, but line length for text should respect
                                        the reader's choice of an agreeable fontsize.