Re: [NTO] Screen Resolutions

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
      Hi,

      On 24 Apr 08 17:05 sisterscape <sisterscape@...> said:
      > My vote goes to flexible width format.

      I agree! But I answered the way I did bcause I wanted to make the
      point that there are many who will still want to use a small window in
      spite of having a large screen. Additionally, "flexible width" is not
      always meaningful on a graphic intensive site, where images are more
      "fixed" than text in the way it reflows with changing window size.

      > Personally, fixed width sites drive me nuts!

      Agreed again, for the reasons above and in my previous post.

      Greg
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > I'm wondering whether we can increase that standard to
        > 1024x768 without inconveniencing lots of our
        > members.

        No you can't! What you can and should do is adapt your design to the
        window and font size your viewers prefer and *respect their
        preferences*. Two places you ought to go to are:
        http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/
        http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/jello.html

        > Also, do you know of any Java script or other tools I can apply
        > to the site that will capture screen resolutions of our visitors
        > and record them into a log file?

        Two pitfalls here:
        1) Most people log completely the wrong thing. The screen size is
        totally irrelevant here, what you need to look at is the window
        size.
        2) You will predominantly log dumbasses in fullscreen with no sense
        for security. Savvy users, who often have several windows open at
        the same time (typical minimal example is an editor and browsing for
        data and references), will also keep their Javascript firmly turned
        off in many cases.
        That said my commented sample at
        http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm has two
        example scripts querying the window size. I have not looked into
        logging yet, though.

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
          Greg Chapman wrote:
          > Maybe I'm older than I feel!

          Maybe, but more probably you visit the wrong sites or you even use
          IE. The designers may well have issued a max-width for you but IE is
          too broken to see it. If so my site will be a particularly bad
          example for you, but then I expect savy users to browse in a partial
          window anyway and don't expect to be king of their castle with all
          the screen to myself alone.

          > Good hosting services provide this information in their log
          > files as part of their standard service.

          No they don't. All they can tell is the screen size, and that's of
          no use to anyone at all.

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
            sisterscape wrote:
            > (Urchin before Google and AWStats)

            I've very briefly considered those for a (political) party site I
            maintain. But then I decided that the kind of people I'm writing for
            will probably not apprecialte my running snooping script on their
            personal hardware. And as I sometines do use small scripts for other
            purposes maintaining their trust is important to me.

            Axel
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
              I agree with Greg.

              We have a script counter over at http://htmlfixit.com that will tell you
              screen resolutions of your visitors.

              We run it and even on our tech site, we still see some 800 x 600. But
              even when people can go wider, it exceeds the scan comfort of the human
              eye. There is a reason why newspapers and magazines have columns.

              Don with his 2 cents.

              Greg Chapman wrote:
              > Hi Ray,
              >
              > On 24 Apr 08 14:54 Ray Shapp <ras45@...> said:
              >> I'd be interested in knowing your opinions about that question in
              >> general.
              >
              > I'm still of the old fashioned school that says 800x600 is a
              > reasonable design size. It's not so much the screen/window size of
              > users that that is based on, but line length.
              >
              > Most people agree that a line length of 8-12 words is about right for
              > text. Your eyes tend to wander and find it difficult to locate the
              > next line if it's much more than that.
              >
              > So, if you have a multi-column design with adverts, menus, or trailers
              > for parts of the site, then 1024 may be acceptable, but if you use the
              > full window width for your body text then it is probably uncomfortably
              > long, unless you dfine a very large font.
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                Hi Greg and sisterscape,

                Thank you for the quick replies.

                The website does not use full width for text. I have an index along the left
                margin and I devote 460 pixels to the right of that for all the rest of my
                content. The website was designed years ago for 800x600. I've already
                considered remaining with that limitation because I know that a significant
                number of our members will probably not operate their browsers in full screen.
                If I do change the design to 1024x768, my plan is to use the additional width
                for a third column of text and graphics unrelated to the content in the middle
                column.

                One other idea may be to place the index horizontally along the top of the
                screen. I can then use the space at left for a new second column of text and
                graphics.

                I've examined the raw log files provided by our hosting service, but I don't
                see screen resolutions in the logs. I asked the question here because I was
                hoping someone has a Java or CGI script that I could adopt for capturing
                screen resolutions into my own log file on the site.

                Firefox handles displayed font sizes much better than MSIE. In Firefox, text
                will wrap if I increase font size, but in MSIE, that causes the display to
                require horizontal scrolling.

                I'm looking at StatCounter ( http://www.statcounter.com/ ). They say they
                track screen resolutions.

                Thanks again for your help.

                Ray Shapp
              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                  I tend to size by % width, so each user's settings determine how they
                  see it. I also tend to remove hard breaks in paragraphs so they can wrap
                  to width when the page size is readjusted by the user.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                    Ray Shapp wrote:
                    > Firefox handles displayed font sizes much better than MSIE.
                    > In Firefox, text will wrap if I increase font size, but in
                    > MSIE, that causes the display to require horizontal scrolling.

                    You have to thank the current generation of "web designers" for
                    that. School
                    dropouts used to moonlight as backyard car mechanics, nowadays they
                    fancy themselves as "designers" and it shows. Because user chosen
                    text scaling is all too often suppressed by them the browser
                    manufacturers (Opera and IE 7) in desperation chose to scale the
                    screen instead. I have just found out how to detect that and am
                    aiming to adjust my layout, but it can't be done in clean CSS ands
                    will require schripting.

                    I hate it, when I have to conform to idiots and not the other way
                    round. If I could have a wish it would be that browsers would all
                    stop guessing at invalid junk code and just show a "I can't display
                    that mess" message instead.

                    Axel
                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                      Hello Alex,

                      Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry I didn't see them before I replied to
                      Greg and sisterscape.

                      <<No you can't! What you can and should do is adapt your design to the window
                      and font size your viewers prefer and *respect their
                      preferences*>>

                      If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution is very low
                      (below ten percent), then I am willing to convert to 1024x768. The only
                      inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors will be that they will
                      be required to scroll horizontally. Do you see any other "cost" to them? I
                      expect most of those people will be upgrading their equipment in the normal
                      course of events. I don't think any or many new users are coming online with
                      low resolution monitors. BTW, we have some very impatient members on our exec
                      committee who are much less accommodative than I am. As webmaster, it is up to
                      me to implement our collective decision, but I must respect the strong
                      opinions of some of these other people.

                      <<Two places you ought to go to are:
                      http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/
                      http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/jello.html

                      Many thanks for those links. The nearly blank screen provided by the default
                      view on the "Site in an hour" website is certainly novel. It nearly threw me
                      until I noticed the tiny icons in the lower right corner of the screen. Like
                      Greg, maybe I'm older than I feel. I don't appreciate telephone numbers or
                      calendar dates that use periods for the numeral separators. I'm not
                      comfortable with Help systems like those in Adobe Acrobat where one cannot see
                      a detailed table of contents. I also don't like the blank screen approach of
                      "Site in an hour". Thankfully, the site does provide an easy alternate way to
                      view it in conventional mode.

                      <<That said my commented sample at
                      http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm has two example
                      scripts querying the window size.>>

                      I literally fell on the floor laughing at your legal notice. Wonderful bit of
                      prose!

                      << You will predominantly log dumbasses in fullscreen with no sense for
                      security. Savvy users, who often have several windows open at the same time
                      (typical minimal example is an editor and browsing for data and references),
                      will also keep their Javascript firmly turned off in many cases.>>

                      That describes many of my constituents. Not much I can do about that. Thanks
                      for the JavaScript example. And yes, I fully agree in endorsing NoteTab as an
                      excellent editor.

                      Ray Shapp
                    • Ray Shapp
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                        Hi Don,

                        Thanks for the reply.

                        Your home page opened ok, but I was unable to open any link from it. Your
                        resolution statistics, however, are quite instructive (see listing copied
                        below). If your numbers are representative of resolutions our club members
                        use, I will be surprised, but I will also be forced to begin converting our
                        website for 1024x768. My guess is that the sophistication of your average
                        visitor in the field of computer usage is quite different from that of my
                        visitors. If resolutions are truly being captured by your scripts, then I
                        would very much like to deploy them on my site for a while.

                        Your comment about the new Microsoft XLSX file format and their compatibility
                        pack mirrors my experience almost exactly. On two separate machines running
                        Office 2003, the compatibility pack worked flawlessly on one machine and
                        failed with no explanation on the other. My temporary solution was to request
                        another copy of the file in the old format.

                        Ray Shapp

                        Resolution Statistics
                        640 x 480 0.02%
                        800 x 600 2.62%
                        1024 x 768 33.52%
                        1152 x 864 3.49%
                        1280 x 800 17.17%
                        1280 x 854 0.37%
                        1280 x 1024 32.55%
                        1400 x 1050 2.12%
                        1600 x 1200 3.66%
                        1920 x 1200 4.28%
                        2560 x 1024 0.19%

                        ***********************************

                        February 15th, 2008 by Don

                        So I find that Microsoft has once again decided to switch things up in the
                        Excel world with the xlsx file format. Why would you not build in backwards
                        compatibility? Because you choose to make it inconvenient in hopes of forcing
                        people to buy your new product? Fortunately they do have a tool to allow you
                        to open the new format in your "old" program. However to use it you need to
                        update your Microsoft environment and even in this age they FORCE you to use
                        Internet Explorer.
                      • Ray Shapp
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                          Hi Axel,

                          << If I could have a wish it would be that browsers would all stop guessing at
                          invalid junk code and just show a "I can't display that mess" message
                          instead.>>

                          The message should say "I REFUSE TO display that mess".

                          Thanks again for your help.

                          Ray Shapp
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                            Ray Shapp wrote:
                            >If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution is very low
                            >(below ten percent), then I am willing to convert to 1024x768. The only
                            >inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors will be that they will
                            >be required to scroll horizontally

                            Not really. I happen to use your target resolution 1024x768 (not for
                            much longer, I hope). I never surf with a maximized browser window.
                            Unless the site forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little
                            grumpy. When I get a larger screen, I'll probably use about the same
                            size browser window that I use now and have more room for other things.

                            It isn't about resolution. It's about window size. OK, the resolution
                            sets the upper boundaries but that's all.

                            Lotta
                          • David Smart
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 24, 2008
                              Just to reiterate what others have said, It's the window size that counts,
                              not the screen size.

                              I always run browsers and e-mailers at about 800 to 900 wide, even though my
                              two screens are each 1280 wide. I want to do other things on the screens
                              too.

                              Sites that require horizontal scrolling or a move to full screen are a pain,
                              and I visit them as infrequently as I can.

                              If you want to keep all your visitors, then allow people to comfortably run
                              screens of 800 wide. If you don't, then the people you lose will probably
                              be the ones you most wished to keep in the first place.

                              Regards, Dave S

                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                                Ray Shapp wrote:
                                > If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution
                                > is very low (below ten percent), then I am willing to convert

                                It seems you missed the main point. It is irrelevant how big their
                                screen is, the only relevant point is how big they prefer their
                                browser window to be.

                                > The only inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors
                                > will be that they will be required to scroll horizontally.

                                The result of that with many three column layouts is, that I never
                                get see the right column. Please remember only to place additional
                                extra information there, never anything essential.

                                > Do you see any other "cost" to them?

                                Rising blood pressure?

                                > The nearly blank screen provided by the default
                                > view on the "Site in an hour" website is certainly novel.

                                So you go browsing with scripting on by default? I hope you know
                                what you're doing but it certainly is a rather careless attitude to
                                safety.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                                  loro wrote:
                                  > And then I get a little grumpy.

                                  That's our nice and level Lotta for you. For me being somewhat
                                  grumpy already at the best of times the reaction is on another
                                  scale.
                                  There is something else, best explained by a traffic simile. I don't
                                  mind so much if somebody cuts me off, squeezes in right in front of
                                  me or cuts in, when it's my right of way. I can see and more or less
                                  accept his reasons. What gets me going are those stupid and
                                  inconsiderate idiots who inconvenience me without the slightest
                                  benefit to themselves out of total disregard, like blocking two
                                  spaces with one car, blocking the overtaking lane while travelling
                                  at exactly the speed of the huge gap beside them or blocking cross
                                  traffic although they saw beforehand that they could not exit the
                                  crossroads that really get me going.
                                  What some site designers most explicitly show me is their total lack
                                  of regard and consideration for their readers. "Why should I care
                                  about you mate, take it or leave it, I couldn't care less. It works
                                  fine for ME on MY equipment and with MY eyesight - you go and stuff
                                  yourself." If that's what you want your visitors to see, fine, go
                                  right ahead. If not you might want to think again.

                                  Axel
                                • bruce.somers@web.de
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                                    800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

                                    Bruce

                                  • alice ttlg
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                                      On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
                                      > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows
                                      > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

                                      Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
                                      screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
                                      lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
                                      it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.

                                      --
                                      hth,
                                      alice ttlg
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 25, 2008
                                        800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.

                                        --- alice ttlg <alice.ttlg@...> wrote:

                                        > On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
                                        > > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On
                                        > non-Windows
                                        > > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.
                                        >
                                        > Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
                                        > screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
                                        > lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
                                        > it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > hth,
                                        > alice ttlg

                                        Be a better friend, newshound, and
                                      • bruce.somers@web.de
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                                          My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past, it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
                                          --
                                          hth,
                                          alice ttlg

                                          800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.
                                          sisterscape

                                          Interesting. I wonder if that has changed. I used to test for the "standard resolutions" 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 and select the page to be displayed on that basis.

                                          Then, while visiting a friend who had a MAC G4 Powerbook, I found that she was seeing the (default) version for 800x600 although she had a screen width more than 1200. I've forgotten what the height was, but I now test for the width only - as I should have from the beginning - and I check for ranges, not specific values.

                                          I will stick to that of course, even if others have adopted the Windows standard resolutions.

                                          Sorry to have caused any confusion.

                                          Bruce
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                                            bruce.somers@... wrote:
                                            > I will stick to that of course,

                                            Well some paople are totally resistant to any advice. But I maintain
                                            that Lotta

                                            > I never surf with a maximized browser window. Unless the site
                                            > forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little grumpy.

                                            and sisterscape

                                            > I know many people who don't keep their browsers maximized.
                                            > Personally, fixed width sites drive me nuts!

                                            among several others have put the main point very well.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 26, 2008
                                              Addendum:

                                              Just as a hint of what I have found to be reasonable values: I limit
                                              all single column designs to a max-width of 42em by default and set
                                              lengthy texts to a max-width of 34em or up to 38em, if there are
                                              many lists, blockquotes or other items shortening the lines.

                                              Your preferences may vary, but I think these values are about the
                                              right ballpark. (An em is much wider than the average letter in a
                                              line.) Also note that the correct unit in these cases has nothing to
                                              do with pixels and thus little to do with screen resolutions. These
                                              may do well for graphics, but line length for text should respect
                                              the reader's choice of an agreeable fontsize.