Screen Resolutions

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 24 6:54 AM
      To All,

      I maintain a website for club which was optimized for screen resolution of
      800x600 when the site was established eight years ago. I'm wondering whether
      we can increase that standard to 1024x768 without inconveniencing lots of our
      members.

      I'd be interested in knowing your opinions about that question in general.
      Also, do you know of any Java script or other tools I can apply to the site
      that will capture screen resolutions of our visitors and record them into a
      log file?

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 24 8:42 AM
        Hi Ray,

        On 24 Apr 08 14:54 Ray Shapp <ras45@...> said:

        > I'd be interested in knowing your opinions about that question in
        > general.

        I'm still of the old fashioned school that says 800x600 is a
        reasonable design size. It's not so much the screen/window size of
        users that that is based on, but line length.

        Most people agree that a line length of 8-12 words is about right for
        text. Your eyes tend to wander and find it difficult to locate the
        next line if it's much more than that.

        So, if you have a multi-column design with adverts, menus, or trailers
        for parts of the site, then 1024 may be acceptable, but if you use the
        full window width for your body text then it is probably uncomfortably
        long, unless you dfine a very large font.

        I tend to use less than full screen on so many sites as I find them
        difficult to read, on some that's even after increasing the font size
        from something I have to squint at. Maybe I'm older than I feel!

        > Also, do you know of any Java script or other tools I can apply to
        > the site that will capture screen resolutions of our visitors and
        > record them into a log file?

        Good hosting services provide this information in their log files as
        part of their standard service. However, I'm sure thei are freebie
        sites that will provide the service or you, I haven't googled for any,
        but do remember screen size is not window size!

        Greg
      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 24 9:05 AM
          My vote goes to flexible width format. That way a user can resize the
          window to their liking and everything will still be on screen. I know
          many people who don't keep their browsers maximized. Personally, fixed
          width sites drive me nuts!

          The stats programs that I have used (Urchin before Google and AWStats)
          provide browser but not screen resolution info. I think I remember
          hearing about some javascript that you can put in the header to log it.
          There are some stats about user screen resolution discussed in various
          articles. Google can probably find them easily.

          --- Ray Shapp <ras45@...> wrote:

          > To All,
          >
          > I maintain a website for club which was optimized for screen
          > resolution of
          > 800x600 when the site was established eight years ago. I'm wondering
          > whether
          > we can increase that standard to 1024x768 without inconveniencing
          > lots of our
          > members.
          >
          > I'd be interested in knowing your opinions about that question in
          > general.
          > Also, do you know of any Java script or other tools I can apply to
          > the site
          > that will capture screen resolutions of our visitors and record them
          > into a
          > log file?
          >
          > Thanks for the help.
          >
          > Ray Shapp

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 24 9:15 AM
            Hi,

            On 24 Apr 08 17:05 sisterscape <sisterscape@...> said:
            > My vote goes to flexible width format.

            I agree! But I answered the way I did bcause I wanted to make the
            point that there are many who will still want to use a small window in
            spite of having a large screen. Additionally, "flexible width" is not
            always meaningful on a graphic intensive site, where images are more
            "fixed" than text in the way it reflows with changing window size.

            > Personally, fixed width sites drive me nuts!

            Agreed again, for the reasons above and in my previous post.

            Greg
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 24 9:51 AM
              Ray Shapp wrote:
              > I'm wondering whether we can increase that standard to
              > 1024x768 without inconveniencing lots of our
              > members.

              No you can't! What you can and should do is adapt your design to the
              window and font size your viewers prefer and *respect their
              preferences*. Two places you ought to go to are:
              http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/
              http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/jello.html

              > Also, do you know of any Java script or other tools I can apply
              > to the site that will capture screen resolutions of our visitors
              > and record them into a log file?

              Two pitfalls here:
              1) Most people log completely the wrong thing. The screen size is
              totally irrelevant here, what you need to look at is the window
              size.
              2) You will predominantly log dumbasses in fullscreen with no sense
              for security. Savvy users, who often have several windows open at
              the same time (typical minimal example is an editor and browsing for
              data and references), will also keep their Javascript firmly turned
              off in many cases.
              That said my commented sample at
              http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm has two
              example scripts querying the window size. I have not looked into
              logging yet, though.

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 24 9:56 AM
                Greg Chapman wrote:
                > Maybe I'm older than I feel!

                Maybe, but more probably you visit the wrong sites or you even use
                IE. The designers may well have issued a max-width for you but IE is
                too broken to see it. If so my site will be a particularly bad
                example for you, but then I expect savy users to browse in a partial
                window anyway and don't expect to be king of their castle with all
                the screen to myself alone.

                > Good hosting services provide this information in their log
                > files as part of their standard service.

                No they don't. All they can tell is the screen size, and that's of
                no use to anyone at all.

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 24 10:02 AM
                  sisterscape wrote:
                  > (Urchin before Google and AWStats)

                  I've very briefly considered those for a (political) party site I
                  maintain. But then I decided that the kind of people I'm writing for
                  will probably not apprecialte my running snooping script on their
                  personal hardware. And as I sometines do use small scripts for other
                  purposes maintaining their trust is important to me.

                  Axel
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 24 10:17 AM
                    I agree with Greg.

                    We have a script counter over at http://htmlfixit.com that will tell you
                    screen resolutions of your visitors.

                    We run it and even on our tech site, we still see some 800 x 600. But
                    even when people can go wider, it exceeds the scan comfort of the human
                    eye. There is a reason why newspapers and magazines have columns.

                    Don with his 2 cents.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 24 10:32 AM
                      Hi Greg and sisterscape,

                      Thank you for the quick replies.

                      The website does not use full width for text. I have an index along the left
                      margin and I devote 460 pixels to the right of that for all the rest of my
                      content. The website was designed years ago for 800x600. I've already
                      considered remaining with that limitation because I know that a significant
                      number of our members will probably not operate their browsers in full screen.
                      If I do change the design to 1024x768, my plan is to use the additional width
                      for a third column of text and graphics unrelated to the content in the middle
                      column.

                      One other idea may be to place the index horizontally along the top of the
                      screen. I can then use the space at left for a new second column of text and
                      graphics.

                      I've examined the raw log files provided by our hosting service, but I don't
                      see screen resolutions in the logs. I asked the question here because I was
                      hoping someone has a Java or CGI script that I could adopt for capturing
                      screen resolutions into my own log file on the site.

                      Firefox handles displayed font sizes much better than MSIE. In Firefox, text
                      will wrap if I increase font size, but in MSIE, that causes the display to
                      require horizontal scrolling.

                      I'm looking at StatCounter ( http://www.statcounter.com/ ). They say they
                      track screen resolutions.

                      Thanks again for your help.

                      Ray Shapp
                    • Jeff Scism
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 24 12:12 PM
                        I tend to size by % width, so each user's settings determine how they
                        see it. I also tend to remove hard breaks in paragraphs so they can wrap
                        to width when the page size is readjusted by the user.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 24 12:44 PM
                          Ray Shapp wrote:
                          > Firefox handles displayed font sizes much better than MSIE.
                          > In Firefox, text will wrap if I increase font size, but in
                          > MSIE, that causes the display to require horizontal scrolling.

                          You have to thank the current generation of "web designers" for
                          that. School
                          dropouts used to moonlight as backyard car mechanics, nowadays they
                          fancy themselves as "designers" and it shows. Because user chosen
                          text scaling is all too often suppressed by them the browser
                          manufacturers (Opera and IE 7) in desperation chose to scale the
                          screen instead. I have just found out how to detect that and am
                          aiming to adjust my layout, but it can't be done in clean CSS ands
                          will require schripting.

                          I hate it, when I have to conform to idiots and not the other way
                          round. If I could have a wish it would be that browsers would all
                          stop guessing at invalid junk code and just show a "I can't display
                          that mess" message instead.

                          Axel
                        • Ray Shapp
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 24 1:39 PM
                            Hello Alex,

                            Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry I didn't see them before I replied to
                            Greg and sisterscape.

                            <<No you can't! What you can and should do is adapt your design to the window
                            and font size your viewers prefer and *respect their
                            preferences*>>

                            If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution is very low
                            (below ten percent), then I am willing to convert to 1024x768. The only
                            inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors will be that they will
                            be required to scroll horizontally. Do you see any other "cost" to them? I
                            expect most of those people will be upgrading their equipment in the normal
                            course of events. I don't think any or many new users are coming online with
                            low resolution monitors. BTW, we have some very impatient members on our exec
                            committee who are much less accommodative than I am. As webmaster, it is up to
                            me to implement our collective decision, but I must respect the strong
                            opinions of some of these other people.

                            <<Two places you ought to go to are:
                            http://leftjustified.net/site-in-an-hour/
                            http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/jello.html

                            Many thanks for those links. The nearly blank screen provided by the default
                            view on the "Site in an hour" website is certainly novel. It nearly threw me
                            until I noticed the tiny icons in the lower right corner of the screen. Like
                            Greg, maybe I'm older than I feel. I don't appreciate telephone numbers or
                            calendar dates that use periods for the numeral separators. I'm not
                            comfortable with Help systems like those in Adobe Acrobat where one cannot see
                            a detailed table of contents. I also don't like the blank screen approach of
                            "Site in an hour". Thankfully, the site does provide an easy alternate way to
                            view it in conventional mode.

                            <<That said my commented sample at
                            http://axel.berger-odenthal.de/work/Sudel/Webdesign.htm has two example
                            scripts querying the window size.>>

                            I literally fell on the floor laughing at your legal notice. Wonderful bit of
                            prose!

                            << You will predominantly log dumbasses in fullscreen with no sense for
                            security. Savvy users, who often have several windows open at the same time
                            (typical minimal example is an editor and browsing for data and references),
                            will also keep their Javascript firmly turned off in many cases.>>

                            That describes many of my constituents. Not much I can do about that. Thanks
                            for the JavaScript example. And yes, I fully agree in endorsing NoteTab as an
                            excellent editor.

                            Ray Shapp
                          • Ray Shapp
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 24 2:09 PM
                              Hi Don,

                              Thanks for the reply.

                              Your home page opened ok, but I was unable to open any link from it. Your
                              resolution statistics, however, are quite instructive (see listing copied
                              below). If your numbers are representative of resolutions our club members
                              use, I will be surprised, but I will also be forced to begin converting our
                              website for 1024x768. My guess is that the sophistication of your average
                              visitor in the field of computer usage is quite different from that of my
                              visitors. If resolutions are truly being captured by your scripts, then I
                              would very much like to deploy them on my site for a while.

                              Your comment about the new Microsoft XLSX file format and their compatibility
                              pack mirrors my experience almost exactly. On two separate machines running
                              Office 2003, the compatibility pack worked flawlessly on one machine and
                              failed with no explanation on the other. My temporary solution was to request
                              another copy of the file in the old format.

                              Ray Shapp

                              Resolution Statistics
                              640 x 480 0.02%
                              800 x 600 2.62%
                              1024 x 768 33.52%
                              1152 x 864 3.49%
                              1280 x 800 17.17%
                              1280 x 854 0.37%
                              1280 x 1024 32.55%
                              1400 x 1050 2.12%
                              1600 x 1200 3.66%
                              1920 x 1200 4.28%
                              2560 x 1024 0.19%

                              ***********************************

                              February 15th, 2008 by Don

                              So I find that Microsoft has once again decided to switch things up in the
                              Excel world with the xlsx file format. Why would you not build in backwards
                              compatibility? Because you choose to make it inconvenient in hopes of forcing
                              people to buy your new product? Fortunately they do have a tool to allow you
                              to open the new format in your "old" program. However to use it you need to
                              update your Microsoft environment and even in this age they FORCE you to use
                              Internet Explorer.
                            • Ray Shapp
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 24 2:14 PM
                                Hi Axel,

                                << If I could have a wish it would be that browsers would all stop guessing at
                                invalid junk code and just show a "I can't display that mess" message
                                instead.>>

                                The message should say "I REFUSE TO display that mess".

                                Thanks again for your help.

                                Ray Shapp
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 24 3:08 PM
                                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                                  >If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution is very low
                                  >(below ten percent), then I am willing to convert to 1024x768. The only
                                  >inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors will be that they will
                                  >be required to scroll horizontally

                                  Not really. I happen to use your target resolution 1024x768 (not for
                                  much longer, I hope). I never surf with a maximized browser window.
                                  Unless the site forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little
                                  grumpy. When I get a larger screen, I'll probably use about the same
                                  size browser window that I use now and have more room for other things.

                                  It isn't about resolution. It's about window size. OK, the resolution
                                  sets the upper boundaries but that's all.

                                  Lotta
                                • David Smart
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 24 3:53 PM
                                    Just to reiterate what others have said, It's the window size that counts,
                                    not the screen size.

                                    I always run browsers and e-mailers at about 800 to 900 wide, even though my
                                    two screens are each 1280 wide. I want to do other things on the screens
                                    too.

                                    Sites that require horizontal scrolling or a move to full screen are a pain,
                                    and I visit them as infrequently as I can.

                                    If you want to keep all your visitors, then allow people to comfortably run
                                    screens of 800 wide. If you don't, then the people you lose will probably
                                    be the ones you most wished to keep in the first place.

                                    Regards, Dave S

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 25 3:24 AM
                                      Ray Shapp wrote:
                                      > If then percentage of our members who use 800 pixel resolution
                                      > is very low (below ten percent), then I am willing to convert

                                      It seems you missed the main point. It is irrelevant how big their
                                      screen is, the only relevant point is how big they prefer their
                                      browser window to be.

                                      > The only inconvenience to the folks on low resolution monitors
                                      > will be that they will be required to scroll horizontally.

                                      The result of that with many three column layouts is, that I never
                                      get see the right column. Please remember only to place additional
                                      extra information there, never anything essential.

                                      > Do you see any other "cost" to them?

                                      Rising blood pressure?

                                      > The nearly blank screen provided by the default
                                      > view on the "Site in an hour" website is certainly novel.

                                      So you go browsing with scripting on by default? I hope you know
                                      what you're doing but it certainly is a rather careless attitude to
                                      safety.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 25 3:44 AM
                                        loro wrote:
                                        > And then I get a little grumpy.

                                        That's our nice and level Lotta for you. For me being somewhat
                                        grumpy already at the best of times the reaction is on another
                                        scale.
                                        There is something else, best explained by a traffic simile. I don't
                                        mind so much if somebody cuts me off, squeezes in right in front of
                                        me or cuts in, when it's my right of way. I can see and more or less
                                        accept his reasons. What gets me going are those stupid and
                                        inconsiderate idiots who inconvenience me without the slightest
                                        benefit to themselves out of total disregard, like blocking two
                                        spaces with one car, blocking the overtaking lane while travelling
                                        at exactly the speed of the huge gap beside them or blocking cross
                                        traffic although they saw beforehand that they could not exit the
                                        crossroads that really get me going.
                                        What some site designers most explicitly show me is their total lack
                                        of regard and consideration for their readers. "Why should I care
                                        about you mate, take it or leave it, I couldn't care less. It works
                                        fine for ME on MY equipment and with MY eyesight - you go and stuff
                                        yourself." If that's what you want your visitors to see, fine, go
                                        right ahead. If not you might want to think again.

                                        Axel
                                      • bruce.somers@web.de
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 25 12:28 PM
                                          800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

                                          Bruce

                                          > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

                                        • alice ttlg
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 25 5:35 PM
                                            On 4/25/08, bruce.somers@... <bruce.somers@...> wrote:
                                            > 800 x 600 pixel "screen resolution" is a Windows specification. On non-Windows
                                            > computers, it is unlikely to be detected.

                                            Really? My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my
                                            screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC
                                            lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past,
                                            it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.

                                            --
                                            hth,
                                            alice ttlg
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 25 7:14 PM
                                              800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 26 2:34 AM
                                                My Macbook lists 800 x 600 in the resolutions I can set my screen to (along with most all the same resolutions that my WinPC lists) and when I've used counters/trackers on my sites in the past, it's detected screen resolution for visitors using Macs.
                                                --
                                                hth,
                                                alice ttlg

                                                800 x 600 is listed in Linux also.
                                                sisterscape

                                                Interesting. I wonder if that has changed. I used to test for the "standard resolutions" 800x600, 1024x768, 1152x864 and 1280x1024 and select the page to be displayed on that basis.

                                                Then, while visiting a friend who had a MAC G4 Powerbook, I found that she was seeing the (default) version for 800x600 although she had a screen width more than 1200. I've forgotten what the height was, but I now test for the width only - as I should have from the beginning - and I check for ranges, not specific values.

                                                I will stick to that of course, even if others have adopted the Windows standard resolutions.

                                                Sorry to have caused any confusion.

                                                Bruce
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 26 3:48 AM
                                                  bruce.somers@... wrote:
                                                  > I will stick to that of course,

                                                  Well some paople are totally resistant to any advice. But I maintain
                                                  that Lotta

                                                  > I never surf with a maximized browser window. Unless the site
                                                  > forces me to maximize it. And then I get a little grumpy.

                                                  and sisterscape

                                                  > I know many people who don't keep their browsers maximized.
                                                  > Personally, fixed width sites drive me nuts!

                                                  among several others have put the main point very well.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 26 3:58 AM
                                                    Addendum:

                                                    Just as a hint of what I have found to be reasonable values: I limit
                                                    all single column designs to a max-width of 42em by default and set
                                                    lengthy texts to a max-width of 34em or up to 38em, if there are
                                                    many lists, blockquotes or other items shortening the lines.

                                                    Your preferences may vary, but I think these values are about the
                                                    right ballpark. (An em is much wider than the average letter in a
                                                    line.) Also note that the correct unit in these cases has nothing to
                                                    do with pixels and thus little to do with screen resolutions. These
                                                    may do well for graphics, but line length for text should respect
                                                    the reader's choice of an agreeable fontsize.