[NTO] Re: DOS batch question

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
      If you were running Windows 2000 or newer, it would be no problem at
      all to extract different parts of %1. However I don't think Windows
      98 is capable of it although it's been so long since I've used that, I
      can't say so for sure.

      You could give it a try. Send a fully qualified file name to a batch
      file, and see what happens when you insert these lines at the
      beginning of the batch file:

      echo %~n1
      echo %~p1
      echo %~f1

      I'm working from memory here but in more current versions of Windows
      those lines should echo the file name first, then the path of %1, and
      the last line should be the entire name and path.

      John

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
        John Zeman wrote:
        > However I don't think Windows 98 is capable of it

        Unfortunately you seem to be right about that.

        Danke
        Axel
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
          Axel you might want to take a look at 4DOS. It's for older versions
          of Windows like 98, and you can't beat its now free price. 4DOS was
          the precursor to 4NT, which is what I use to write command line
          scripts. I think 4DOS can do what you want.

          If you're interested, here's a couple links. The first is the
          download page for the 4DOS program.

          http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

          http://www.4dos.info/v4dos.htm

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
            John Zeman wrote:
            > Axel you might want to take a look at 4DOS.

            I have frequently done so and always meant to get it. Up to now the
            price always was just a bit above my "I don't need it right now" mark.
            (Don't remember exactly, but must have been a lot more than NoteTab.) It
            having become freeware is great news.
            Thanks Don

            Axel

            P.S: And of course it did solve the problem with ease.