Re: [NTO] Re: DOS batch question

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25 11:58 AM
      John Zeman wrote:
      > So what %1 actually is, depends upon what you are doing.

      Yes, that's just my problem. What I shall be doing is double-click
      something in a window, in this case it may be a browser window or a
      directory. So my "%1" is out of my control and will always be a full
      path. I need to somehow split it myself.

      Axel
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25 12:52 PM
        If you were running Windows 2000 or newer, it would be no problem at
        all to extract different parts of %1. However I don't think Windows
        98 is capable of it although it's been so long since I've used that, I
        can't say so for sure.

        You could give it a try. Send a fully qualified file name to a batch
        file, and see what happens when you insert these lines at the
        beginning of the batch file:

        echo %~n1
        echo %~p1
        echo %~f1

        I'm working from memory here but in more current versions of Windows
        those lines should echo the file name first, then the path of %1, and
        the last line should be the entire name and path.

        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25 2:28 PM
          John Zeman wrote:
          > However I don't think Windows 98 is capable of it

          Unfortunately you seem to be right about that.

          Danke
          Axel
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25 3:39 PM
            Axel you might want to take a look at 4DOS. It's for older versions
            of Windows like 98, and you can't beat its now free price. 4DOS was
            the precursor to 4NT, which is what I use to write command line
            scripts. I think 4DOS can do what you want.

            If you're interested, here's a couple links. The first is the
            download page for the 4DOS program.

            http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

            http://www.4dos.info/v4dos.htm

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 25 7:53 PM
              John Zeman wrote:
              > Axel you might want to take a look at 4DOS.

              I have frequently done so and always meant to get it. Up to now the
              price always was just a bit above my "I don't need it right now" mark.
              (Don't remember exactly, but must have been a lot more than NoteTab.) It
              having become freeware is great news.
              Thanks Don

              Axel

              P.S: And of course it did solve the problem with ease.