DOS batch question

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
      I need to write a batch that receives a full path as %1

      Question one: Can I change that in W98 regedit? It currently has
      mypath/mybat.bat "%1"
      in it. Could I send path and file as different parameters?

      Assuming the answer to question 1 is no, can I do it inside the batch?
      I first need to issue a chdir %1, which won't work of course, without
      dropping the file.
      I then need to use the filename without extension in further commands.
      Are there any batch commands or utilities to do that? It's easy in
      pascal, but I don't wont to go that length.

      Danke
      Axel
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
        %1 represents the first argument you send to a batch file or even to
        another program.

        So what %1 actually is, depends upon what you are doing.

        For example, suppose you create a batch file named runme.bat and the
        contents of that batch file are:

        echo Hello, %1 %3
        pause

        From a Command prompt in the directory where runme.bat resides type:

        Runme Johnny Susan Joy

        And the result you should see would be: "Hello, Johnny Joy"

        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
          John Zeman wrote:
          > So what %1 actually is, depends upon what you are doing.

          Yes, that's just my problem. What I shall be doing is double-click
          something in a window, in this case it may be a browser window or a
          directory. So my "%1" is out of my control and will always be a full
          path. I need to somehow split it myself.

          Axel
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
            If you were running Windows 2000 or newer, it would be no problem at
            all to extract different parts of %1. However I don't think Windows
            98 is capable of it although it's been so long since I've used that, I
            can't say so for sure.

            You could give it a try. Send a fully qualified file name to a batch
            file, and see what happens when you insert these lines at the
            beginning of the batch file:

            echo %~n1
            echo %~p1
            echo %~f1

            I'm working from memory here but in more current versions of Windows
            those lines should echo the file name first, then the path of %1, and
            the last line should be the entire name and path.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
              John Zeman wrote:
              > However I don't think Windows 98 is capable of it

              Unfortunately you seem to be right about that.

              Danke
              Axel
            • John Zeman
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
                Axel you might want to take a look at 4DOS. It's for older versions
                of Windows like 98, and you can't beat its now free price. 4DOS was
                the precursor to 4NT, which is what I use to write command line
                scripts. I think 4DOS can do what you want.

                If you're interested, here's a couple links. The first is the
                download page for the 4DOS program.

                http://www.jpsoft.com/download.htm

                http://www.4dos.info/v4dos.htm

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
                  John Zeman wrote:
                  > Axel you might want to take a look at 4DOS.

                  I have frequently done so and always meant to get it. Up to now the
                  price always was just a bit above my "I don't need it right now" mark.
                  (Don't remember exactly, but must have been a lot more than NoteTab.) It
                  having become freeware is great news.
                  Thanks Don

                  Axel

                  P.S: And of course it did solve the problem with ease.