Re: [NTO] DOS versions of Win names

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
      > Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox

      Are you sure? Mozill~1 should be the short name for the first directory
      created with Mozill at the beginning of its name. Mozill~2 will be the
      second, etc.

      These are not abbreviations, they are short names attached to the directory
      entries, and they are not dynamic.

      However, two different computers may well have different short names,
      depending on the order in which the directories were created.

      But, I doubt that you need to abbreviate anyway. Certainly, the start
      statement will take a full path name. If it has spaces in it, put double
      quotes around it.

      > START /MAX "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\Thunderbird.exe"

      AFAIK, xcopy also allows quoted long file names.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008
        David Smart wrote:
        >> Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox
        >>

        > Are you sure? Mozill~1 should be the short name for the first directory
        > created with Mozill at the beginning of its name. Mozill~2 will be the
        > second, etc.
        My mistake.
        What I meant to say was if I used Mozill~1 *I* could not tell which
        subdir it would be pointing too.
        This was before I was shown the obvious by using the X switch for DIR as
        suggested by Greg.

        Thanks,
        -Mike
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008
          Fair enough. However, just use the full names (with quotes if necessary)
          and there won't be any question.

          Regards, Dave S