Re: [NTO] DOS versions of Win names

  • Mike Breiding
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
      Axel Berger wrote:
      > Mike Breiding wrote:
      >
      >> How do I abbreviate the Thunderbird subdir
      >>

      > Don't abbreviate at all and put the whole path string in quotes. Works
      > in my flavour of DOS, 7.0 i.e. the one coming with W98. Axel
      When I use:
      ~~~~~~~~
      xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Thunde~1 E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
      START /MAX "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"
      ~~~~~~
      The xcopy runs but then I get a maximised DOS box with this promt:
      C:\Documents and Settings\MB\Desktop\

      Thunderbird does not launch.

      If I use:
      ~~~~
      xcopy c:\docume~1\MB\Applic~1\Thunde~1 E:\tbird /s/d/e/a/r/y
      START /MAX C:\Progra~1\Mozill~2\thunde~1.exe
      ~~~~

      Xcopy runs and then Tbird is launched properly.

      Thanks to all.
      -Mike

      exit
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 22, 2008
        > Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox

        Are you sure? Mozill~1 should be the short name for the first directory
        created with Mozill at the beginning of its name. Mozill~2 will be the
        second, etc.

        These are not abbreviations, they are short names attached to the directory
        entries, and they are not dynamic.

        However, two different computers may well have different short names,
        depending on the order in which the directories were created.

        But, I doubt that you need to abbreviate anyway. Certainly, the start
        statement will take a full path name. If it has spaces in it, put double
        quotes around it.

        > START /MAX "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\Thunderbird.exe"

        AFAIK, xcopy also allows quoted long file names.

        Regards, Dave S

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008
          David Smart wrote:
          >> Currently if I use "Mozill~1" it abbrevaites for either Tbird of Fire Fox
          >>

          > Are you sure? Mozill~1 should be the short name for the first directory
          > created with Mozill at the beginning of its name. Mozill~2 will be the
          > second, etc.
          My mistake.
          What I meant to say was if I used Mozill~1 *I* could not tell which
          subdir it would be pointing too.
          This was before I was shown the obvious by using the X switch for DIR as
          suggested by Greg.

          Thanks,
          -Mike
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 23, 2008
            Fair enough. However, just use the full names (with quotes if necessary)
            and there won't be any question.

            Regards, Dave S